Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to stop a 22LR

Now that right there is funny - I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    In my experience, animals that are out in the middle of nowhere drop dead at the shot. Animals that are in town thrash around, squeal, and run off leaving a gushing blood trail from your back yard to the front porch of the nearest bunny hugger where they languish until the news media gets there to take pictures while the opossum or coon gets carted off to the vets office to be saved while the police backtrack to find out who would do such a thing.

Alan
    That's been my experience as well.....Bhohahahaha

I could tell you a couple of BYB stories....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

In my experience, animals that are out in the middle of nowhere drop dead at the shot. Animals that are in town thrash around, squeal, and run off leaving a gushing blood trail from your back yard to the front porch of the nearest bunny hugger where they languish until the news media gets there to take pictures while the opossum or coon gets carted off to the vets office to be saved while the police backtrack to find out who would do such a thing.

Alan
    The one exception is skunks. Had a family of skunks under my motorcycle shed. I could smell them then saw one on a rainy night.
    I have a Crossman pellet rifle ( a 2 cylinder .22). I emptied the shed then lifted one corner with a hydraulic floor jack. I used a powerful spot light to see the skunks and also blind them. I shot each one of them right between the eyes and then after being shot they spayed. Fortunately not on me but the entire neighborhood (city block) smelled like skunk. Someone asked me where the smell was coming from. I told them there were 5 dead skunks at the end of my driveway and they should go look at them. That evening it was a parade of people coming to see the dead skunks. They were quite pleased that I killed them, including the parents.
    Took over a year for my shed to air out.

Last summer I took some carpet to the dump in my enclosed trailer. It must've been baby diaper day. The smell had me dry heaving. That smell stayed in my trailer for a few days.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    How effective would 22 cal bird shot be on raccoons? By the way 22 cal Cebees will penetrate a 3/4" thick board. How thick can a raccoon's head be?
    Stopping power just don't work that way Jim. If it did no one or no animal would ever survive a gunshot wound to the head or body. It is the motivation behind using a .357 instead of a .38, a .40 instead of a 9mm, using a .45 because they don't make a .46 and wanting more rounds in the magazine no matter what it is.

Even head shots are not guaranteed fatal and there are a lot of veterans walking around with .30 caliber slugs in their brains to prove it. I personally know two people that are walking around with a bullet in their head.

The internet experts never talk about that, nor do they talk about the fact that the hogs on the farm back home where they shot them in the head with a .22 short were stunned by the shot, then had their throats cut within 10 seconds of the shot.

I had a hog that had been both shot and its throat stuck wake up and jump out of the scalding troth and run across the barn lot once. It stood there until we got the "big gun" and put it down.

I shot a big boar coon in the tender trap a few years back. I shot it square in the head with a CCI minimag. That old coon nearly tore that tender trap to pieces thrashing around inside it and I was really scared it was going to come out the door of that trap and teach me a lesson about stopping power! It took me a good bit of time to hammer and squeeze that trap back into usable shape.

This is why in most states there are still minimum power requirements for hunting medium and large game that eliminate the rimfire cartridges from use.

As for the .22 capsules? They are made for mice, rats and snakes and not much more. The old fashioned ones with the crimp are filled with #12 shot, which is dust, and the CCI capsules are filled with #9, which is only slightly better. Usable range is about 10 feet. A coon or 'possom would really get mad if you shot it with one of those.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-29-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Some years back #1 son and I pulled up to my deer stand. The window on the side was open and I started cussing the $@@^&*(%$ owls for getting in there again. I climbed up and looked around. It had a little bit of owl poop but not near as much as I expected. Then I heard a noise. Behind the door. I slowly closed the door and peered into the darkness… as my eyes adjusted to the dark a pair of coon eyes slowly came into focus. About the time my mind was registering "coon" the coon let out a very loud coon roar! Well, it was actually a hissssssss but it might as well have been a roar. The stand was 4'x6' with a swivel chair in the middle. I'm not sure who was chasing who but we made about three laps around that chair and the coon decided to bail through the open door. He did a "Super Coon" jump and landed in a heap at the bottom of the stairs (Yes, I had stairs on my deer stand). #1 son had already cleared leather because he knew something wasn't right up there 20' off the ground in that deer stand. The coon did some kind of ninja move and took off down the road with #1 son blazing away at him with a 44 mag. I was hanging out the door by then popping off my six rounds of 38 S&W. I'm not sure who was hitting him but we counted at least 4 hits to stop that coon…

Either way, coons are tough critters. A 38 S&W is likely a little bit more powerful than a 22 lr but only because of bullet weight. But a 44 Mag surely qualifies as "enough gun".

If I and to guess I'd say we hit it twice each.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 07-29-2017 at 09:29 PM.

I guess the answer to "How to stop a 22 lr" is, let the coon do it.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is one of those situations that would not be a situation if responsible shooters were allowed to own suppressors without federal permission and the oppressive $200 tax imposed on such devices.

Believe it or not, but if you lived in England you could go to the LGS and just buy one on your regular firearms certificate.

Is it imaginable that even England is more sensible about suppressors than us?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Some years back #1 son and I pulled up to my deer stand. The window on the side was open and I started cussing the $@@^&*(%$ owls for getting in there again. I climbed up and looked around. It had a little bit of owl poop but not near as much as I expected. Then I heard a noise. Behind the door. I slowly closed the door and peered into the darkness… as my eyes adjusted to the dark a pair of coon eyes slowly came into focus. About the time my mind was registering "coon" the coon let out a very loud coon roar! Well, it was actually a hissssssss but it might as well have been a roar. The stand was 4'x6' with a swivel chair in the middle. I'm not sure who was chasing who but we made about three laps around that chair and the coon decided to bail through the open door. He did a "Super Coon" jump and landed in a heap at the bottom of the stairs (Yes, I had stairs on my deer stand). #1 son had already cleared leather because he knew something wasn't right up there 20' off the ground in that deer stand. The coon did some kind of ninja move and took off down the road with #1 son blazing away at him with a 44 mag. I was hanging out the door by then popping off my six rounds of 38 S&W. I'm not sure who was hitting him but we counted at least 4 hits to stop that coon…

Either way, coons are tough critters. A 38 S&W is likely a little bit more powerful than a 22 lr but only because of bullet weight. But a 44 Mag surely qualifies as "enough gun".

If I and to guess I'd say we hit it twice each.

Alan
    Wish I could have seen that!!

Never mind, I have nothing to add - I'm just a troll.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-07-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd
    Be aware that up close, an AR shoots about 3" LOW, below your POA., depending upon range and the sighting set up.

Let me get this straight. If your sights are set up to shoot 3" low, you're going to shoot 3" low? That sort of deserves an obvious award.

no, when you zero at standard battle distance, about 250 yds, the boreline, being 3" or more below the sightline, causes the POI to be about 3" low at say, 15 ft. It's still an inch or so low at 50 ft. What's so hard to understand about that? Same thing about a scoped rifle, at 10 ft, shooting 1.5" below the crosshairs, cause that's how high the sightline is above the boreline. Your ignorance is showing. Many a shooter has cut grooves or holes in his car, chronograph, etc. because of the difference in those lines.

I have a tough time understanding stuff like that. That's why I'm here.

I'm sure glad that there is somebody here ---- finally ---- to teach us about shooting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He's right about parallax.

Tool & Die Maker

Bought some snares at Cabelas. Hope to catch the varmint when he goes in or out of the crawl space. Might use the snares on wild hogs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    no, when you zero at standard battle distance, about 250 yds, the boreline, being 3" or more below the sightline, causes the POI to be about 3" low at say, 15 ft. It's still an inch or so low at 50 ft. What's so hard to understand about that? Same thing about a scoped rifle, at 10 ft, shooting 1.5" below the crosshairs, cause that's how high the sightline is above the boreline. Your ignorance is showing. Many a shooter has cut grooves or holes in his car, chronograph, etc. because of the difference in those lines.
    I don't know about grooves in the car.....bot when sight thru the scope out the passenger window from the driver's side.....make sure you clear the mirror....it 2 " lower....

The newer mirrors with all the "stuff in them" and special ordered in a matching color and about $500 bucks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27