Thread: Plant ID mid/southeast MI

Default Plant ID mid/southeast MI

Hello, we have lots of berries ripening around the property and I seem to spot new ones daily. Lots of green berries I have a few guesses on but not sure if they will stay green or get more ripe, most feel hard. We have raspberries and blackberries too but I know what those are. I'm asking about berries I found in the wooded, wetter area of the property. I found some right next to a black raspberries bramble near the pathway. As I looked I found more on the other side of the path way. There is a drain through the wooded area that runs between the farm fields behind the property, I can't see it but know it's in there somewhere behind the neighbors propery. Also there is a natural pond that has a shallow not always flowing drain running into the woods in the direction of the other drain. I flipped through my field guides but nothing caught my attention and only one has a poisonous section and it's small, I didn't see either berry.
    Northeast of Flint, MI in growing Zone 5.
    First is like I said in moist wooded area aroud the bottoms of trees, tangled up in the other brambles. It looks like it vines across the ground and low tree branches. Leaves have three lobes and are toothed and the berries look to be purple-black ripe. I didn't pick any or do any spot tests or anything, just found the vine/leaves to take pics when I saw the berries(same with second bush). Photos are a bit blurry. I just had my phone and it takes terrible pics.
    20170723_114445_Film2.jpg 20170723_114636_Film2.jpg

The pictures are fuzzy but I am certain those are black currants. You should be able to check them against any book you have but that's what it looks like to me. They are loaded with natural pectin. Enough to make their own jelly or jam without adding any additional pectin. The berries are quite tart off the vine but I do enjoy them.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, they often look good on my phone and terrible on the computer. I wish I could just use my actual camera but I don't have a laptop, just a netbook and phone, so I can't get pictures off the camera, editted and in the proper format and such.
    On to the berries, neither of my field guides have the black currents but looking closer the leaves are definitely similar to the pictured red and golden currants. And good ole google gave me pictures of the black currants easily enough. I will have to cut a berry open, see if it looks right.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jenavievem View Post
    Sorry about the fuzzy pics, they often look good on my phone and terrible on the computer. I wish I could just use my actual camera but I don't have a laptop, just a netbook and phone, so I can't get pictures off the camera, editted and in the proper format and such.
    On to the berries, neither of my field guides have the black currents but looking closer the leaves are definitely similar to the pictured red and golden currants. And good ole google gave me pictures of the black currants easily enough. I will have to cut a berry open, see if it looks right.
    Thank you
    DW always has me save some or what ever I try.... to show the EMT's

I stay away from "leaves of three, let it be".....I not hungry enough to try stuff out that I don't know.

Had good luck with help identifying bugs....

Can you check with your local collage Horticulture people?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They look they currants on the inside. I will probably try to take some to u of m flint biology dept if i have a car on a weekday.20170723_160110_Film2.jpg
    20170723_160040_Film2.jpg
    It did not cut open neat and I'm totally kidding myself that anyone can see that it has lots of seeds inside. Reddish juice.
    Last edited by jenavievem; 07-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I'm sure that's what it is. That will be an easy one for them to ID. That's really a great find if you like to make jams or jellies. You can use them to make pies, sorbets, as a side sauce to meats or even pudding. Currants are pretty versatile berries.