Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASalt Gun

Default ASalt Gun

Remember when you could by a Mosin for $60 bucks? Yeah, those days are gone. But, here's a little beauty you can still buy for that!

(disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in salt)

I saw this a few years ago. I really need an autonomous deer fly killer drone.

We used a racquet ball like bug zapper this summer. It was soooo satisfying zapping carpenter bees and yellow jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    We used a racquet ball like bug zapper this summer. It was soooo satisfying zapping carpenter bees and yellow jackets.
    Bingo...HF had them for $8 bucks....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Those are even more fun in some of those "Here - hold my beer" kind of moments.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sooooo....
    Do you think that is "enough gun"....for big game like bumble bees hornets and wasps?

Needing the right tools for the job while aware of sight picture, correct hold, and breathing.
    Now what would be the correct load...plain table salt, processed rock salt, sea salt...and grain size.

Have to be careful not to just wound one as they get really pizzed off....and charge unless the shot is a DRT......
    A thru and thru doesn't do much good...."blood trail" would be hard to track.

PS..... Daisy BB gun was weapon pc choice of bumble bees...and if you were good....in flight....not ground swatting them.
    Hard to argue with "big game loads"

Regardless, they would be well seasoned, right Madmax? (he's the only guy I know that eats that kind of stuff. Blech!)

Wasp larvae are great. Unless their too ripe. Then you wind up looking like you've been in a bar fight.

See? Spoken like a man that would know. And I'm sure he does. That had to be a bit too spicy.

I've got a couple of wasp stories.

When we lived at the ranch the house there was built by my great-great grandfather. It was two story, but two ten foot ceiling stories with a 45 degree roof on it at that. The eves were a good 40-50 feet up (it seemed) If i put a 20 foot extension ladder up there and got a ten foot extension I could paint almost to the top of the eve. The eves were loaded with yellow jacket nests and they gave me fits. The last thing I wanted was wasp fits 20 feet in the air. I pondered how to rid myself of the wasps. Then it hit me. I would shoot them down. That's usually one of my first remedies to any problem, I don't know why it took me so long on this particular one. Perhaps the fact that I would be shooting the house up had something to do with my reluctance, but, that was my decision none-the-less.

I had an old dog leg 12 ga that looked like the bore had had a plow share dragged through it so I figured I couldn't hurt it much. I emptied the shot out of some shells and filled them with table salt. The first yellow jacket nest vaporized and did not scratch the old paint. I spent the rest of the day happily plumping away at the nests. Used a pound of salt in the process.

I was shredding and came up face to face with a yellow jacket nest the size of my spread hand. It was two feet form my face and the YJs were starting to do that little jerky dance they foo right before the kick some yokel butt. I was carrying a 357 mag Blackhawk and i figured the muzzle blast would obliterate the whole bunch. I raised it and put the muzzle inches from the nest and let one rip. A 358 cal hole appeared in the nest and that was it. ALL the wasps were still there. They weren't doing that thing anymore but they were kinda just looking at me. I shifted into reverse and backed slowly out of range. We called that one a draw that day.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Wasp larvae are great. Unless their too ripe. Then you wind up looking like you've been in a bar fight.
    I suppose you just have to chew fast.

Alan

We were doing some aerial work and it was either June or July. The pole we were about to hit was alive with wasps at the top. The guy that was with me looked at the boss and said, "Could we hold up on this one a bit?" the boss said how long do you want to wait?" He was looking up at all those wasps and said, "I was thinking the first hard frost might be a good time." The boss laughed but didn't buy it.

Nothing like sporting wasp sting bumps on your face and neck on a hot, sweaty day.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We were doing some aerial work and it was either June or July. The pole we were about to hit was alive with wasps at the top. The guy that was with me looked at the boss and said, "Could we hold up on this one a bit?" the boss said how long do you want to wait?" He was looking up at all those wasps and said, "I was thinking the first hard frost might be a good time." The boss laughed but didn't buy it.
    Roof top HVAC units (actually ALL A/C units) are wasp magnets.
    Shot of R-22 does the trick....First frost...Coming up.

My first tour USCG was on a buoy boat on the upper Mississippi river. We had hundreds of lights we had to work anywhere from 10' to 30'+ for enough visibility down/up river. These lights were powered by batteries in a fiberglass box. Procedure was to climb up, knock to see if anyone was home in the box before clipping your safety belt and opening the box to service batteries. Human nature being what it is, get in a hurry, roll the dice, or simply forget happens to a lot of people. You haven't lived until you've clipped yourself way up on a light and popped the top on one of those boxes to find it occupied by more than just batteries. I am so very glad cell phones and you tube were non existent back then.

Amen to that, brother. About the only thing you can do is swing to the other side and hope some sharp eyed wasp doesn't spot you. Then when they settle down you can sneak out of harms way. They need lessons in anger management.

We had these little crab looking spiders that used to fill up aerial terminals. About the size of your thumb nail. There might be a couple dozen of them. You would belt off, pull the cover open and those things go sailing out into space like spiderman. Gave me the heeby jeebeys every time.

Nature's booby trap, the ground hornet. No nest to spot. Just a hole in the ground. One minute you're fine and wham you're not.

My wife found a yellow jackets' nest in the ground near our fire this summer. She would squat and swat those things coming in and out for a few minutes with the racquet zapper, then they started to smell their own being slaughtered. And I told her they sometimes have 2 entrances. That's when we had Crash's "Hold my beer" moments. Well, I didn't. I was up on the porch laughing.

Seriously? A racquet zapper? Where has this thing been all my life? Do they make one for door to door salesmen, phone and email scammers and dogs that run loose? I could put a really big one on my truck for stupid drivers.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zurgon-El...almart&veh=sem

lol. Right now I have an insurance agent I'd like to chase around zapping.