Thread: Smoked mullet and smoked roe

Default Smoked mullet and smoked roe

Any of you like smoked mullet and smoked roe.KIMG0107.jpgKIMG0102.jpg

Boy that took me back. A fireman friend of mine had a slightly mentally challenged boy. He wanted to teach him a trade or something he could support himself in some fashion. Dad was a fisherman. So it was naturally fishing and a road side stand to sell. His son was very independent and painted his own signs as soon as Dad let him try on his own.

Bait
    Shrimp
    Smocked mullet
    Bald peanuts

We've been calling them Smocked mullet and bald peanuts ever since.

RIP Moochie.
    Last edited by madmax; 07-13-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Boy that took me back. A fireman friend of mine had a slightly mentally challenged boy. He wanted to teach him a trade or something he could support himself in some fashion. Dad was a fisherman. So it was naturally fishing and a road side stand to sell. His son was very independent and painted his own signs as soon as Dad let him try on his own.

Bait
    Shrimp
    Smocked mullet
    Bald peanuts

RIP Moochie.
    That's a great story and a memory that should come up often.

Like smoked mullet, chub, trout , salmon, herring...don't believe I ever had smoked roe.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Smoked roe is good but don't eat to much it will run right through you.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post

Bait
    Shrimp
    Smocked mullet
    Bald peanuts

RIP Moochie.
    I was walking out a Kwik Mart with a jumbo cup of boiled peanuts and two ladies were going in. They asked what they were and if the could try them. I said boiled peanuts and yes they could. They said they were great. But, they wanted to know why we called them bald peanuts?

I don't have a drawl that would make you not understand boiled and bald. So, maybe they were just having some fun at my expense.

One of my parents favorite things about Florida when they moved down after getting married in GA (my Dad was stationed in Jacksonville in the early 1960's). They moved to Tampa and folks would be selling smoked mullet out of road side stands. And you used to be able to get boiled peanuts everywhere on the side of the road. Now, they have them in crock pots in a lot of stores.

I like the cajun boiled peanuts. The most bland, no flavor having peanuts I ever had were in Climax, Ga. At the Swine Time Festival. They served them in a paper bag. If you have ever eaten a green peanut right out of the ground (they are great). It was like that but soggy. It was missing all that salt, spicy, messy goodness.

Problem with the crock pot store ones is they are frozen and then reheated for ever. You got to try fresh green peanuts just sun dried a couple of days, fresh boiled with crushed red pepper and cajun seasoning and eaten right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch
    Climax, Ga. At the Swine Time Festival

I will pondering that for days I'm sure.

Never acquired a taste for bald peanuts.....
    Like mine in roasted, salted, ...with brewskies,...served in bowls on the saloon bar....throwing shells on the floor.

I have always found it hard to keep them lit...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I was very surprised when I went to Pensacola to find out that "people" ate mullet. On the Louisiana and Texas coast, mullet, are not on the menu. Now we'll cut them up and use them to catch a Redfish or a Black Drum but we don't actually eat the mullet. When they are cut open the are full of mud and I suspect that every chemical that has seeped into the coastal mud is in them too.

I can see why the mullet in Florida might be okay with the water as clear as it is. It was fun to watch those guys on the mullet boats slinging those 16' cast nets. I can throw an 8 footer but those big ones are beyond my abilities. Neve did eat one though.

Alan