Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check this out

My bil/sil had this possessed cat. The dang thing would run up and bite. They had to lock it up anytime someone came over.

Take the dogs and their breed out of the picture.

If you came home and accidentally set off the alarm. You turned off the alarm and called the alarm company and gave them the code word. Then a short while later cops kick in your front door and shoot out your sliding glass door in the back after scaling a 7' locked fence.

They exclaimed that it was for your own good and they were just acting professionally in part of their training. You will have to pay to replace the doors and any other damage that was caused by them.

They know as well as anyone that has ever had an alarm that over 90% of alarm calls are false alarms. I have seen it quoted as 98% in several articles.

Leo's are allowed to enter when there is a sign of forced entry. They are not allowed to force entry. That includes scaling 7' locked fences.

My problem is that no one has a problem with LEOs that say their safety comes before our rights as citizens to be secure in our homes. I don't want that kind of protection at those costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Take the dogs and their breed out of the picture.

If you came home and accidentally set off the alarm. You turned off the alarm and called the alarm company and gave them the code word. Then a short while later cops kick in your front door and shoot out your sliding glass door in the back after scaling a 7' locked fence.

They exclaimed that it was for your own good and they were just acting professionally in part of their training. You will have to pay to replace the doors and any other damage that was caused by them.

They know as well as anyone that has ever had an alarm that over 90% of alarm calls are false alarms. I have seen it quoted as 98% in several articles.

Leo's are allowed to enter when there is a sign of forced entry. They are not allowed to force entry. That includes scaling 7' locked fences.

My problem is that no one has a problem with LEOs that say their safety comes before our rights as citizens to be secure in our homes. I don't want that kind of protection at those costs.
    I don't know where the "Like" button is on these boards, or I'd be hitting it like a woodpecker.

These are my sentiments exactly.

Alan

I concur. The immunity is overreaching. In Texas a bill is proposed for a separate court for leo's accused of a crime. It seems that emotions have more validity than facts today. It's become a crazy world.

Judging by the news, it's been going on for some time. The scary results is that people I know would rather endure crime than call the police.

One thing I know. News reports don't tell all. For instance, we don't know why the officer shot the woman and I' m certain that people don't do things for no reason. Might not be a good reason but there is a reason. For instance, the woman might have been afraid to the point of hysteria and the officer might have misinterpreted the situation as threatening.

Even in my life time, there was a much better relationship between police and civilians (though, usually majorities). The community supported the police and the police protected the community (the one they accepted as their community.) But even during my childhood, there was an "us vs. them" mentality. That happens naturally with groups of socially isolated people. I'm afraid the "us vs. them" is slipping into a domestic war scenario. It's more "us against them," in some areas.

I have the equivalent of a minor in criminal justice and was, at one time, considering being a police. What prevented me was the fact that I found out that, where I was planning to be a police, they were having a spate of sniper incidents, and I knew that being a police, according to how far up the ladder I got, I might be in a situation where I would have to cover for a colleague that was doing something that would morally oblige me to not cover for him.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    What's your real problem Rebel?

Do you suppose the officers rolled up in the driveway, knocked on the door, it was answered by a petite 40 year old woman, so they shot her?

Do you suppose they planned it before they arrived? Decided whose turn it was to shoot a middle aged mother? Or did they have an SOP that anyone with an Australian accent was to be shot on sight.

Do you realize what cops in a major city go through after a shooting incident ?

We have a local cop who just finished standing his second trial for a shooting of a career criminal (more than 50 previous arrests) during a traffic stop. The DA is trying to decide if he wants to pursue a third trial after two hung juries, in the attempt to persecute, rather than prosecute, this officer to appease minority leaders.

The cop's career is over. He has lost everything he has. He will never be able to pay off his legal fees during this lifetime. He will have to leave the area to insure is own safety.

These half baked "jump on the bandwagon" due to a sketchy news report reactions do not help anyone.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyratshooter, you know the drill now. In the USA, shoot someone and you are guilty until proven innocent. Cop or civvy. I think FL just reversed it's "stand your ground" law. You have to try and get away if someone wants to kill you. I bought into a legal services in the nightmare chance it happens to me. Because even getting cleared by the cops... you'll still get sued by the criminal's family.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What's your real problem Rebel?
    The article said that their body cameras were turned off and no car video. I guess there's only one story. I doubt a yoga instructor became a threat. FYI, I am a federal LEO and I'm seeing way too many bad apples.
    Last edited by rebel; 07-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Anybody else read the cop was a Muslim Somalian with a degree in economics?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Anybody else read the cop was a Muslim Somalian with a degree in economics?
    You're kidding, right?

Alan

Mohammed Noor. He started in 2015.

I could make some very inappropriate humor from that. My brain is being naughty...

Anyway, my initial assumption will always be that it was more complex than the information I have leads me to believe. And one big assumption I make is, it takes two to tangle. Incidents like this are always like a choreography, the situation moves people into place and through their steps. It just so happens that someone ends up dead.

Stacked up to a ruined career, a death is huge. You get knocked down, you can always build your life back. I've even known people who were placed on death row or on a sexual offender list (in some ways, they resemble each other) who built their lives back. Dead is dead. Most people lose their ability to build their life back up from that. I suspect that both officials and civilians are culpable. Some recent political decisions made by this country (that's political and I won't go there except to say that they...) leave me breathless. We are not making good decisions and the result is that people who should not be dying are being lost to death.

I wish I had a panacea that could solve the problem, but I can only stare breathlessly.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The woman was talking to the driver of the squad car and the passenger pulled his pistol and shot her.

http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1

Alan

I'm not on a police bashing mission. I believe most are honorable and well intentioned. I do have a couple more links. The sad part is that you don't have to look very long. http://www.rutherford.org

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.co...02#more-202902

We had a saying in the Marine Corps: "police your ranks".

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I was inspecting a home for termites one day. I was on my hands and knees under a kitchen table looking at damage to a baseboard. The homeowner was right next to me as I was explaining my findings. While I was pointing to some damage his little Cha Hua Hua dog nipped me on the hand. Without hesitation I backhanded the mutt and he went sliding across the linoleum floor. Thinking I probably just lost a sale, I stood up. The owner said.......I think I would have hit him hard enough to get across the next room. I did get the sale.
    Damn that's PRICELESS!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

FYI if you look carefully on a bigger screen that first pit bull may have wagged his tail but clearly all the hair is standing up on the spine. When you know pit bulls are the only dog I know to bite and lock and not release. - as a big dog lover it was justified IM (Humble) O.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yeah, well, all you ever read is the sensational media story. They are always sensational because they are in the business of selling advertising space. They are not in the business of selling objective news coverage. That, after all, does not sell advertising space.

Ah, Coyote pointed that out, Owl, but he was still casting around, so he was trying to size up the situation. He figured it out pretty quickly.

And that's a large part, Rick, of why we see so many of these situations. It's not like they never used to happen. It's just that they're sensational and are more likely to be shown up front. And news covers a much wider geographic range now so they have a much bigger pond to cast in.

Not likely to see headlines that read, "Mrs. Smith baked a casserole for Mrs. Jones who broke her ankle last Sunday." "Goodville Youth Group Car Wash to Benefit Summer Camp". Not likely.