Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking outside the square - finding freedom.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by beepeter View Post
    Can others share their stories to give hope to those folk who feel trapped by circumnstances - if you can dream it you can do it.
    Get a job. Work. Get two jobs. Work. Get 5 jobs. Work. Ta DAHHHH! Now you can afford to live basically anywhere you want. Magic huh?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Had to give you some rep for that one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Get a job. Work. Get two jobs. Work. Get 5 jobs. Work. Ta DAHHHH! Now you can afford to live basically anywhere you want. Magic huh?
    Me clicking the "Like" button.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    We're in western NC in our off grid cabin for the summer
    I only have my phone to post and it's a PIA to get it charged. Heavy canopy and rain makes solar ineffective. Went to town yesterday and got a full charge.
    Consider buying a biolite stove/lantern. $200 or so, and charges electronics by burning sticks and bark.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    Consider buying a biolite stove/lantern. $200 or so, and charges electronics by burning sticks and bark.
    What I did was go to jr college while living in a mini-van. saved my 12k per year of college loans for 2 years, lived on sales of my plasma, craigslist gigs, some day labor, , went to Phills, married a nurse. Now she's here in the US, gives me $400 a week and pays her half of the bills. But she cost me 15k to get her here, certified, etc. That money was spent over a period of about a year.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What I did was go to jr college while living in a mini-van. saved my 12k per year of college loans for 2 years, lived on sales of my plasma, craigslist gigs, some day labor, , went to Phills, married a nurse. Now she's here in the US, gives me $400 a week and pays her half of the bills. But she cost me 15k to get her here, certified, etc. That money was spent over a period of about a year.
    OK this should be good! There are about three things you have admitted here that would get you time in federal prison!

A human trafficker importing slave labor.

You do realize that student loan money, made available by taxation of us working smucks, is earmarked for education and not for buying women.

If you paid you way through school by hook or by crook then why did you borrow student loan money at 8% interest? You did not "save" anything, you just think you will get away without repayment. You still owe that money to Fannie May and she will have it or a piece of your hide.

Are the moderators obligated to turn this IP address over to the Feds for human rights violations?

I hope so.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you're not stupid, you dont go to schools which cost more than the Pell grant. You also dont take classes except in nursing, and it's 7% interest on those loans. Nurse, cop, firefighter and teacher loans are forgiven at the rate of 10% per year, and may be used as the student sees fit. Since the average annual inflation rate is 5%, that's pretty much free money. It only takes 2 years of training to set for the nursing exam, and you can walk in on $25 an hour. What my wife chooses to do for me is none of your biz, Adolph.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-04-2017 at 12:57 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If it is none of our biz then quit talking about it on an open forum.

Nice to now you have screwed over us taxpayers so skillfully.

Also good to realize that our nurses, cops and firefighters are concentrating on graduation from second rate schools so they can use our taxes for importation of whatever...

I was a teacher for 35 years and graduated from an accredited school listed in the top of the charts so I had to pay for my own education. Seems I wasted my life according to this philosophy.

I also went back and checked on the programs and almost none of the information you have given on loan forgiveness is accurate.

Yes public service personnel get loan forgiveness if you work in certain areas, but only what remains after making 120 payments on their loans without missing a payment. Trick s that the loan payments are set up to pay off the loan in a maximum of 10 years, which is 120 payments!

Teacher loans, now as in the past, are forgiven partially at a set amount. $5,000 after 5 years. And at most colleges certified to license teachers the tuition is going to be nearly $5k per semester, not your $1,100 Pell Grant at the "college" in the old strip mall. So after teaching for 5 years they will forgive one semester of the 8 it took to get your teaching certificate!

Secondary teachers in math and science can get $15k forgiven after 5 years. No other fields qualify.

5 years is also the point at which a teacher is required to start their Masters program, which will cost twice what the BS degree cost.

I did not think things had changed that much since I last checked.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-04-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

if you dont like it, that's tough. Millions of students have just partied away their money. EYE created something with mine. I pay taxes, so does my wife. I didn't create these programs. Our loans are forgiven because that's the law. The govt wants to encourage people to become nurses. So we did so. What's your problem? Jealous cause you never thought of it?

Your info is WAY behind the times. Obummer did a massive, across the board forgiveness program, of millions of student loans, from decades ago (of so I gather) you get to make "income related' payments. For 60k, it's $300 a month. I would never bother with teaching, nor would I let my wife set herself up for such a nightmare. First time, some little punk gave me a ration of it, he'd find his head run into the wall, like my principal did to 2 guys (one with each hand), back in the day.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Tick Tock...

...Yay!
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I found that altho i didn't bother to tint the windows, nobody noticed me in the back of the van. I'd hang out at the college library most of the time and crash at the Planet Fitness place. $35 a month buys you 24-7 access to toilet, shower, electricity, wifi, heat, shelter, AC, fitness machines, weights, Wifi is normally accessible in the parking lot, too. Worked out great.

yep, God forbid anyone hurt your lil egos by showing you up.

I kinda read through this morphication from trapping possums down under to scamming the GSL system. Jayd, I'm not sure you've shown anyone up just yet. But, you have kinda shown your *** a little bit. From what I've gathered of these guys here it would be rather difficult to hurt their egos because they all have earned egos not scammed ones.

So, I'm really glad that you put my tax dollars to good use and became a nurse, and imported another one from the Philippines to help support you. At least you're not on the dole any more, right? I chose to teach, and I think that running a kid's head into the wall would get you about the same results in either the medical profession or the teaching profession. There's a lot of teachers in my family and a lot of medical professionals too. None of them act like you are acting now.

Just as a courtesy please provide the name of the city you work in so I can never get medical care there.

Thanks.

Alan

Oh, I did get a $2500 GSL and paid every cent of it back. The rest of my schooling was paid for by the "5 jobs" method. It's not something to be proud of when you do things you're supposed to do. Pride comes from doing extraordinary things.

Alan

I'm not sure when you got that loan but the rate of inflation hasn't been 5% since 1990. And no, it's not free money.

If you wish to take exception to someone's position on a given subject you are welcome to challenge it. But you are NOT allowed to attack them. That sort of thing will get you banned. Pronto.

So help me out. Are you faculty at Cameron University, a student or building services?

I found that altho i didn't bother to tint the windows, nobody noticed me in the back of the van. I'd hang out at the college library most of the time and crash at the Planet Fitness place. $35 a month buys you 24-7 access to toilet, shower, electricity, wifi, heat, shelter, AC, fitness machines, weights, Wifi is normally accessible in the parking lot, too. Worked out great.
    So are you Ken?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/ed...niversity.html

I read about you a couple of years back......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

look, if you BELIEVE the bs that the govt puts out about what inflation is, there's no helping you. But you'll notice, if you look around, with the exception of fuel and electronics, the price of everything doubles every 15 years. If you know anything about compound interest, you know that such increases means that 5% inflation is the average per year. So the real rate of interest is not 7%, it's 2%. So yes, it might as well be free money. You have a really severe case of NIH syndrome, that's all.

what I am at Cameron is none of your biz, now is it? Cameron has a public library, ya know. Anyone who knows any student can use any college's email server.

wussy teachers are why we have the pos kids in the street that we've now got. I dont have to put up with them in my job. You're welcome to the lawsuits and the crybabies.I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole.

I'm a bit short on knowledge in economics and such. So, if I buy a gallon of milk today for 1.69 then in 15 years it will be 3.38? If I buy a stock today at 50 a share will it be 100 a share in 15 years?