Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: survival knives

Krat said it politely. I will echo his admonition. No politics outside the political sub-forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Krat said it politely. I will echo his admonition. No politics outside the political sub-forum.
    Hear! Hear!

Or, I guess: Not hear! Not hear!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Hear! Hear!

Or, I guess: Not hear! Not hear!
    Should be.....Not here, Not Here....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Picky, picky, picky.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Failure to read history will only doom you to repeat it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the term "Survival Knife" originated in the early 1980's after the movie 'Rambo-First Blood' came out. It was at that time knife companies were coming out with knock offs and replicas of the Rambo knife.

The term Bushcraft I believe came about around a hundred years earlier after Ernest Favenc wrote about Australian Exploration.

The Rambo knife was more of a combat knife, It was a Bowie clip point with 14 serrated teeth and 9 inch blade, hollow handle so not full tang, which was filled with misc. items.

In point and fact, the original Rambo Survival knife was NOT a viable knife for the outdoors.

One must get out of their head the Movie version of a survival knife and the actual kind of knife a person would use for Bushcraft, or one would use to endure a survival situation.

Bushcraft knives for example are usually (but not always) either a flat grind or Scandinavian grind, drop point, and usually under 5 inches in length, and only by definition of the term, a fixed blade knife ( though many would argue that point)

So when you are asking about a Survival knife, be careful what you wish for. I rather the knife that gets you the hell out of Dodge.

If you're defining a "survival knife" as one with a hollow handle, full of "survival gear", I'll pass.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    If you're defining a "survival knife" as one with a hollow handle, full of "survival gear", I'll pass.
    Old GI, lol that was pretty much my point. There is a HUGE difference between a 'Survival' knife (brought into main stream by Rambo movie) and a Knife that you could survive with in the wilderness, being a major difference between the 2.

SO when someone is sayin to me they are looking for a survival knife, I always reply, "what are your intended uses for this knife". As those hollow handle Rambo knives are a joke.