Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: survival knives

Agreed it's all based on opinion! I rather have a cheap cheap pocket knife or other than nothing. You make due if you had to.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actualllllllly. It's all your opinion. Whatever works for you is great. Whatever works for the next guy is great too.
    NO!!!

Absolutely not!

This is the internet!

I AM RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS A MORON !!!!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, yeah, there is that.

Kyratshooter

You deserve Trump or should I say Putin his Puppeteer !!

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    Kyratshooter

If you want to talk politics you need to get yourself further down the forum into the political section and let us deal with you there.

Otherwise please apply and abide by the forum rules because you are getting real political

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you want to talk politics you need to get yourself further down the forum into the political section and let us deal with you there.

Otherwise please apply and abide by the forum rules because you are getting real political
    ....and kinda a PITA as well......Sheesh.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You noticed that there was no period at the end of my post?

That was because I erased a whole paragraph just to save international relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    lastly IMO, and you can say what you like, for me a Mora, well your general mora companion to me is not a survival Knife.
    It is cheap, it is good at carving , and will be a good carver... but the knife is not completly full tang, it is a bit on the small end and thinish blade.
    for me I dont believe it would hold up a day in a survival situation, wilst you trying to take down small trees, process fire wood,etc.
    We have in africa tough conditions, hot dry arrid weather and VERY often VERY hard tough wood trees.
    Survival knife, or Bushcraft knife?
    I make a huge distinction bettween the too actually.
    If I where to be pushed only to use 1 knife in a scenario (and yes, I have done scenarios with JUST 1 knife, a water bottle and Fire-steel only that as kit, and some paracord)
    Then I need to take a knife that is well rounded and good at most things. for me that knife is a BK2, is large but not too large, its tough, its easy to sharpen holds a decent edge for a decent amount of TIME, Can't be broken (well not by me yet any way) Can take down small trees rather easily to build shetlers and can Baton wood like a beast, and can also do some finer work decently ( I mean I am not making lovely awesome Curious for home, I am making things that I need in the bush, like maybe a bow drill a trap, a shelter, things like that)

I guess we circle back to the definition of a "survival knife". And "survival kit" for that matter. Where I live we have a small park that's an Oak forest but most of the woods are pine. Personally I think a knife is the wrong tool for cutting down trees, no matter how large the blade. A saw is a much better tool, more efficient in terms of calories and the amount of energy expended, and much faster. If I didn't have saw I'd have to improvise but a folded Silky saw is the same size as a big knife and probably lighter. I suppose it depends on what you use as a survival kit. If you watch YouTube you'll see the Altoid's Tin Kit a very popular staple. While they're fun to put together and serve as a good thought experiment for survival I think that most people would be screwed if that's all they had with them when things went pear shaped!

To me batonning wood and stuff like that is more "bushcraft" than survival. And while I like to use a knife to baton wood in a survival situation a folding saw would be better (just for wood that is, if you could only have one or the other). You can split wood with a saw pretty well too (using a wedge). Again, it depends on where you are. In the locations I am likely to get stuck in there's probably enough wood available without the need to baton any. Especially if I have good tinder which is a key component of my gear.

Generally I like to have a mix of cutting tools on me, I like having a saw of sorts (folding cause its compact) a Larger knife such as a parang or a kukri , or a machette.. and then a smaller knife for finer tasks (that is ideal)
    But otherwise if its 1 knife I can take its MY bk2. I like anything with about 5-6inch blade and robust for a 1 knife solution.
    I made a video quiet some time ago, on what I look for in survival Knives and options...
    Sounds good! I always try to have a mix of cutting tools as well. I've generally got at least one fairly big knife, a couple small ones and most of the time a folding saw. On longer planned outings I will often have my Fiskar's splitting axe.

I agree, you can't just have a one tool option in your survival kit, although I have had to do just that on 2 occassions..
    once for 72 hours and once for 48hours
    And set out the tasks of building shelter, making traps, and doing simple "bushcraft" things especially aimed at improving the situation.
    It was tough and it is difficult, but I only took down saplings, maybe upto 6inch ( maximum of wrist diameter) trees to make the shelter, and so forth.
    most of the firewood was dead fall, fallen trees, old logs, biggish branches... small twigs etc... Hardly had to baton any of that fire wood.
    is It possible to Survive that situation, yes I suppose it is, is it possible to survive a 72 hour situation with no tools no nothing?
    I suppose it is, it really depends on the season, the weather, and the choices you make.
    for the most part you could find a natrual type shelter from the elements and just hanker down, if it where summer. Winter possibly in My country...
    If you where wet, likely not.
    I ideally would not choose a 1 tool option given choice, but have done senarios with litterally just a knife a firesteel and water bottle and about as much paracord on a survival bracelet.

The altiods Surival tin thing to me would not be useful, I cant really imagine it being that useful, unless your skills In primitive methods are up to scratch, the tin with its contents maybe a bit of a slight edge, rather than nothing.
    I am still yet to Throw myself into the BUSh with nothing.. its a goal and test that I am still in the process of acquiring some of the skill needed.
    And something I been thinking about for months, And busy mentally thinking of all the various things I should be able to do, and the easiest fastest method to do that primitively
    I would like to eventually formulise that into a course or various courses I want to run with as I approach "Ranger" (basically survival instructor).
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I like to have options. Here are a few I brought on a recent outing.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I like to have options. Here are a few I brought on a recent outing.

Showoff!

Showing off??

Naw, that is not all he has, he just brought enough to win.

Showing off??

Naw, that is not all he has, he just brought enough to win.
    ....And most likely went home with few less.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Woooah that's a ton of knives. Nice.

I'd hate carry that backpack, with all the other stuff in it too.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Never ask Crash to borrow his knife. Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I'd hate carry that backpack, with all the other stuff in it too.
    Obviously you have not seen Crash's little white truck!

Or Hunters big red truck.

Or my Cherokee when it arrives on site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are those finger lengths or fingers widths? I'm taking notes over here.
    Also, are they still attached to the hand? We're talking about beginners here, right?

BTW, I fall into that category. Beginner, that is, not fingerless.

The fixed blade knife I use the most? A Case Old Forge butcher knife w/6" blade. It lives in the kitchen. I use it countless times each day for everything from splitting chickens apart to applying peanut butter to toast.

What is the most important feature of an outdoor knife?

Being able to reach the bottom of the peanut butter jar!
    This made me think of "Samurai Delicatessen".

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    Kyratshooter

Obviously two of FJRMURPH's greatest heros.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759