Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living outside in Finland for 2-3 months?

Default Living outside in Finland for 2-3 months?

Hi.
    Can someone recommend me a good tent for that purpose? Some good backpack and sleeping bag?

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    There is an intro section at

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Might want to look at these...
    http://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents
    http://featheredfriends.com/snowy-ow...eping-bag.html
    Google is your friend.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I buy most of my camping and hiking gear in person, so you being where you are and me being where I am would probably not be much help.

Please read this --- http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...out-A-New-Pack the same would apply to your tent and to your sleeping bag.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hilleberg is a reliable brand. They have backpacking models. Found all over Europe.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I would like to know if this is summer time or winter time and if women will be going. 'Cause if women will be going I might do winter...nah, I'll still stick with summer but only if there is a Golden Corral nearby. Two to three months is a long time. Probably by the third morning I won't even be able to stand up my arthritis will be so bad. Does Finland have mosquitoes?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Finland and Alaska are about the same latitude and climate i that is any help in considering the situation.

And yep, Finland has its share of mosquitoes during the summer months.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Will pity sakes. Next you'll tell me they have bears. This is not looking good at all. You may notice that I was safely behind doors when these pictures were taken of these vicious critters.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Second one looks more like you anyway!

Depending on your needs, you might prefer a hammock & tarp setup. For instance, if you plan on staying in one spot. Many backpackers are switching to hammocking... It's not always the lightest option, but it can be... Like any system, it all depends on what you want to sacrifice or not. If you're staying in one spot and don't care much about the weight of it, or the cost, the Amok with a large tarp is probably better than ANY tent.

Advantages of a hammock in general: no rocks or roots under your back, no worries about getting flooded out in the rain you can camp on a hillside or theoretically even over a swamp or on a cliff face if you want (and have the technical knowledge) no ground-pad needed, most people find them very comfortable to sleep in.

Disadvantages: a hammock system can be heavier, some people can't get comfortable no matter what and there can be a learning curve to getting it setup before it becomes comfortable; it if setup improperly, water can run down your suspension and soak out your gear

What's the same either way: the lighter and more technologically advanced you want to go, the more costly it gets. 4-season, no problem (I myself hammock camp 4-season, with no heat source, just 850fp goose down quilts)

It doesn't have to be expensive, but the experience is much better if it is. Most of us can get by just fine with a $30 USD gathered-end parachute Hammock and a standard 10×12 foot poly-tarp. Some people sleep better in a bridge hammock rather than a gathered end: you can find out about all the issues and tips at Hammock Forums. Some people with medical issues sleep better in a hammock, while others can't ever get comfortable... Side and belly sleepers find a bridge hammock or an Amok to be the ticket. However, whilst I side and belly sleep in bed, I only back-sleep in a gathered-end hammock unless I'm sick...

Comfort is very subjective, and this is why many people have issues getting it "dialed in" so it's important to read up before hand, but don't be surprised if it's not perfect the first night. In fact, also don't be surprised if it's perfect for two weeks, and then one hang, suddenly, it's not. Tents are easier in this regard, because your comfort expectations are pretty low to begin with: the range varies from "damn, I woke up stiff" to "****, everything is drenched, AND I'm stiff, PLUS there was a stone under the small of my back all night after my air mattress sprung a leak, and my arm is numb".

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by walks.in2.trees; 06-30-2017 at 09:51 AM.

He's gone WalksN2!

A guy who left us a flaming bag of dog poo on the porch!

I am surprised he did not ask if we knew where he could find free land for a homestead in Finland.

I agree...Drive by....
    Then sit back....and see how many answers you get.

I cant recommend any tent brands really, we have very different brands here in Southern Africa..
    But yeah I can say it would depend on the seasons you want to camp, and with whom..
    you would want to evaluate those needs, like it's been said if its with a lady.. you may have to get something that would suit her comfort.. unless she likes to rough it.
    If I am hiking and on the trot, I really dislike tents, hammocks and a tarp is far better and smaller and compact..
    infact I even just prefer a tarp, like dd3 tarp.. super light and compact. and a small army puncho for the ground.
    Our climate differs so much even to the point is comfortable in winter to camp like that.
    this is how i prefer to CAMP
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    He's gone WalksN2!

A guy who left us a flaming bag of dog poo on the porch!

I am surprised he did not ask if we knew where he could find free land for a homestead in Finland.
    Im not gone. I read all your responses and I am thankful.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Are you familiar with Finland? I'm not but if it is on a similar latitude as Alaska, the hammock might not be your best option. The southern parts of the state has trees but if you go north from me, it's a lot of alpine plains and tundra. Not very many big trees.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hmmm yeah, Hammock camping in that climate, I would definitely not advise it.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Are you familiar with Finland? I'm not but if it is on a similar latitude as Alaska, the hammock might not be your best option. The southern parts of the state has trees but if you go north from me, it's a lot of alpine plains and tundra. Not very many big trees.
    I plan to stay around the southern parts. Only thing left is to buy a tent. I just cant decide. I need one good for windy stormy weather. I want to stay there when its winter.
    The ones from above cost too much. At the moment I cant pay more than ~500€ for tent

Do you think I should save more money to buy better tent?

Yes, buy a better tent.

You do not want the people that find your frozen body to think you were a cheapskate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNZwuamwj0
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-16-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAwaits View Post
    I plan to stay around the southern parts. Only thing left is to buy a tent. I just cant decide. I need one good for windy stormy weather. I want to stay there when its winter.
    The ones from above cost too much. At the moment I cant pay more than ~500€ for tent

Do you think I should save more money to buy better tent?
    Yes......important piece of your gear.... not the time cheap out now....

Oh good lord. Just SMH.

Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel