Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jeep Doctor

Ah, Yes....remember it well......
    Sitting around the campfire in Transylvania county, NC,... under a full moon....on Halloween....with the bear hunting hounds baying all around us...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Good thing we had medicine along .....LOL.
    Thanks for the pic's

Couple more....
    Kitchen

And Maggy Mae....was old and blind....but didn't want to stay home.....Her last trip.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-29-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I remember that I got some good snooze time in with that little creek running about 10 feet from my tent and that frosty air thing that was going on.

I remember that good trout dinner we had and laughing at everyone butchering those poor fish. Looked like we had filleted those poor critters with a hatchet.

One thing about camping during bear season in NC. There is ot going to be a mauling in the camp. If a bear does show up in your camp it is going to be moving right on through at a high rate of speed with 15 bear hounds right on its heels!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah that was a comforting though........
    Dark, foggy nite, with full moon casting an eerie glow?...sounds like the start of many stories I have heard......

Hounds of the Baskerville came to mind on Halloween......LOL...and yeah was a little frosty.

The Jeep is home.

I think I will get the pressure washer out and give it a good scrub. The paint will probably all peel off since it is twenty years old and Chrysler never did learn how to apply paint to a vehicle.

Anyway, it is good to have it back and running.

It's good to have an old friend home ain't it. You can sleep better knowing it's in the driveway and the whole world is right once again. Well, the anti gun folks are still short a few bricks but besides them.

$550, which included the tow truck fee
    Holy cow, not too bad.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I thought it was reasonable too.

That included everything from the spliter block at the rear out to the lug nuts. New lines, new drums, cylinders, shoes, springs, cables and levers.

Since the entire unit was a hunk of rust I am sure they earned their money just removing the old parts and scraping and grinding the backing plate smooth enough to bolt on the new parts.

It was a job I would have done myself 5 years ago but right now I am happy to pay the man and stop gripping. I would have been under and out of the vehicle, stooping standing, bending and stressing myself beyond my capabilities and the doctor bill for my own physical repairs would probably have been $2k-$3k pus the pain and suffering involved!

I may change a tire, air filter or wash the rig myself, but much past that is going to the shop.

Last year I tried to repair the lawn tractor myself and wound up in pain for a year and out of pocket $1500 above what the insurance covered. That was just for a $25 mower deck belt replacement.

I finally did get the belt replaced last week, but I was real careful this time.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-01-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Yup......
    Used to be.....
    How can I do this...and do I have the tools....
    Now it's....
    I need find "the guy" for this....call me when it's done.

Back in the driveway, or shed, .....means the Disturbance in Force has been averted.

I got the pressure washer and the step ladder out to wash the Jeep this afternoon.

It is a lost cause! 20 year old Chrysler Navy blue paint oxidized and turning white. No hope for it.

I hit one spot with the pressure washer and the paint started peeling away to the primer.

It might be time to start gathering cans of Krylon in green, brown and gray and go for a camo theme. It would not be my first camo truck.

My 1987 Ford F-150 had the paint peel on hood roof and around the windows....was about 8 years old at the time.

Was sent a "recall" for paint job.....Took it in as requested....
    First I had to remove the topper....running boards and brush guard....Yeah well OK....?
    BUT
    They were only gonna paint the hood, the top of the front fenders, roof, and around the windows.....
    Had been dark blue ( favorite peeler color)....abt was already was faded....thought it would really suck looking like that....

So, OK , How much top repaint the whole truck....$2500 bucks?.....HAHAHA....Riiiiight.
    The he says , "Well can give you $750 bucks toward a new truck...(that was the scam)

Told him "No I don't think so.... just give me the $750 bucks and I'll paint it myself (used to work in a body shop and had all the equipment)

Said "We can't do that....So are you turning this offer down....?
    He says "OK sign this release...?"

Said "I might change my mind......so NO not gonna sign off"....and I will tell everyone that asks what a pile of crap this "offer" was...."

To this day I still think I have a paint job coming...even though I drove that truck to 1999 and is in the bone yard.....STILL needing a paint.....hood, roof, fenders and around the windows....

And will bring it up at the drop of a hat.....Like Now.

Not that you hold a grudge for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not that you hold a grudge for very long.
    Had held some longer....LOL.

Really didn't like his attitude.....can you tell?

I can hear the conversation now. H63's relative says to a guy........Let me tell you what your Great Great Grandfather did.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yup....Still on my list....

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I got the pressure washer and the step ladder out to wash the Jeep this afternoon.

It is a lost cause! 20 year old Chrysler Navy blue paint oxidized and turning white. No hope for it.

I hit one spot with the pressure washer and the paint started peeling away to the primer.

It might be time to start gathering cans of Krylon in green, brown and gray and go for a camo theme. It would not be my first camo truck.
    At least it didn't peel all the way through the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    At least it didn't peel all the way through the metal.
    Bought a 1963 American Motors Rambler...for $15 bucks.....from a guy at work, father...wanted to get rid of it.....
    This was maybe 1973 or so?

Was white..and had large patches of rust all over it....
    Mostly the body was still solid but the floor was rusted out where you life up your feet going thru puddles....and kept you head down on gravel roads.

Every once in awhile I would paint over the rust with a roller....but it was latex house paint...and would bleed thru after a few weeks.

We named it "Spot" and it looked like a spotted cow.....LOL
    Had a few other problems....but drove it as a work car, for about 3 years, then sold it to another guy for $200 bucks...for his daughter....and she drove it for a long time.

Looking back it seems the a lot of car makers had problems with paint, rust on the steel, and other stuff that we don't need to deal with.
    Many of these cars were 10 years old...and if it made 100k miles that was considered good.

So when someone says "They don't make them like they used to..."
    Thank God.....That's a good thing.

After all these years about 17,.... my 1999 f-150 has rocker panel and rear quarter panel rust...
    Has 130K (low miles) but has really given me a major problem....just keeps going....
    That's another good thing...as I can no longer work on much and all rapires are in that new kind of money "Thousant dollars"

but the floor was rusted out where you life up your feet going thru puddles....and kept you head down on gravel roads.
    I used to own a similar Flintstone mobile. Yaba Daba Doo.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Me too. I paid $25 bucks for it. You could get soaked if you hit a puddle.

That old Rambler had a push button shifter on the dash left side.....LOL.
    AND air shocks....worth more than the car.

Used oil, but we were racing sports cars at the time so had a 5 gal can of one race oil... in the trunk.....

Starter bushing would go out every 6 month...2 bolts dropped starter down,... blow out the brass filings....grease up a new one (.50) pound in back in...bolt it up...and go another 6 months...