Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weed Eaters

Default Weed Eaters

I am looking to relace my old Craftsman weed whacker with a gas-powered one. I'm looking at:

1. ECHO SRM 225 (the one I have the most experience using- borrowed from a friend. Really liked the way it trims/works)

2. Husqvarna 128LD (have some experience using it, all positive)

3. Stihl FS94r OR Stihl FS91R (no experience, but have heard good things and also positive experience with other Stihl tools)

The trimmer would receive medium to heavy use (probably 3 - 4 trimming sessions per week) as I will use it in my own yard and also assist some of my neighbors. I will more than likely use high-quality line, like "ECHO black diamond" or similar. I plan on taking good care of it and using the proper mix. Also going to clean components as necessary. But I do not want something that is gonna be a PITA to keep in running shape. Obviously, I would also like to make sure the weed whacker is not going to quit after a few seasons of use.

This will not be my first gas trimmer since I had a Troybilt several years ago, but the choke started having serious issues not long after I got it (trimmer was given to me by an uncle, not really sure how well he took care of it.) After that, I got the electric rig I use now. It has been good to me for about 5 seasons of medium use but I am ready to upgrade to something more heavy-duty now.

My questions for you guys are:

- Do you have any experience with these trimmers?

- Is buying used ever a good idea/recommended? If yes, what do you look for as far as signs of good or bad care from previous owner?

- If not, where do you buy this kind of equipment and is the insurance that places like Lowes and Home Depot worth the money?

Thanks all

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Right off the bat without researching any of the listed brands I would say buy the Stihl.

The advantage is that Stihl products are sold by servicing dealers and what minor problems you might have will be under warranty from the dealer you bought from or if out of warranty still serviced by the dealer, who is accountable to the parent group.

Sthil products work, and keep working be they chain saws, weed eaters or any other gas powered tool.

I would say that almost every farmer within a mile of my place has a chain saw and it seems that every time one gets dragged out for use it is a Stihl.

And I never hear them complain that their saw is not working right, like my Polin and Craftsman crap. I have two Walmart special weed whackers and a Craftsman chain saw in the shed right now and neither of them will work, and they would cost more to fix than they did to buy.

Husky makes good stuff too, and Echo is pretty good, but I would buy either directly from a dealer so that if it turns out a lemon you know exactly where you bought it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have 2.... Echo's easy start units...can't tell you the models off hand....one has been used for 5 years.
    Like it so much bought a second one....last summer.

Oldest unit had the fuel lines "melt"....so had to replace it with an already made up part...all hoses and plug for $13 bucks.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Latest is a STIHL also a easy start.....can't tell you the model either....but its the smallest homeowner with the biggest motor.
    Have been going Stihl lately....from a Stihl dealer....Sale and Service...
    You know I just look back on my registration for this unit...they have everything on the page except model....LOL

Have gone to all manual loading heads........No screwing around.

Won't by power tools for big box stores any more.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

The advantage is that Stihl products are sold by servicing dealers and what minor problems you might have will be under warranty from the dealer you bought from or if out of warranty still serviced by the dealer, who is accountable to the parent group.

That's the biggest advantage I see right now too. If its the one I'm gonna buy, I definitely buy it from the local dealer (an ACE Hardware) rather than mail-order/online.

But I'm curious to know what the customer service is like? Is it a hassle to get replacement parts/service?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have 2.... Echo's easy start units...can't tell you the models off hand....one has been used for 5 years.
    Like it so much bought a second one....last summer.

Oldest unit had the fuel lines "melt"....so had to replace it with an already made up part...all hoses and plug for $13 bucks.

Latest is a STIHL also a easy start.....can't tell you the model either....but its the smallest homeowner with the biggest motor.
    Have been going Stihl lately....from a Stihl dealer....Sale and Service...
    You know I just look back on my registration for this unit...they have everything on the page except model....LOL

Have gone to all manual loading heads........No screwing around.

Won't by power tools for big box stores any more.
    Interesting, I know my neighbor has had a problem with his ECHO blower and its fuel lines.

Going to head to the local Stihl and get some info sometime soon, thanks

Head is after market unit....and you can get it for most any unit.

Customer Service....
    Bring it in... tell what the guy the problem,... he makes out a tag, says, "pick in up Thursday"....and you go home.

If it's a the lawn tractor or snow blower....I call him...he picks it up....and brings it back when done.

There are also a couple of Homlit's and older Torro's and a Craftsman....all seem to be a PITA to start and run at 3/4 choke (carb problems).
    They all run...but doesn't use them any more.....too much drama

My bank at "The Place" take about 2 hours to cut, and is pretty hard on equipment.....
    Lately since the last Cardio episodes......
    My weed wacker is "Tyler"....as I sit on the porch....

I have several Stihl products and couldn't be more happy with them. As far as servicing - my local
    Ace makes it easy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thank you all, I will definitely take a look into the Stihl trimmers

My local farm store recently picked up the full stihl line. I am very happy! Currently saving up for a stihl weed eater.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Mine is a Troy bilt 4 cycle. So far I enjoy it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Same here. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have several Stihl products and couldn't be more happy with them. As far as servicing - my local
    Ace makes it easy.

That's really good to know,

I used to service all Sears, Husquvarna, Stihl. Sears is low grade, Husquvarna is not made by Husquvarna unless that changed, without hesitation Stihl or Echo would be my suggestions
    Semper Paratus

You might laugh at this.....
    I bought my first Echo because the Amish builders of my cabin used Echo 14" chainsaws for building the porch.

Many small engines, driving power tools at the Farm/Shop...they use Honda motors.

Amish are cheap, but know the the best value isn't the cheapest.

Now on the other hand just about ant TV show....the chain saw they always seem to grab is a Stihl......

#1 son does some small engine repair. He says that Stihl goes the longest time between repairs, Troy Built is junk, and Husqvarna is too. He told me he never works on Toro…

I have two Toros. I use mine every day. I put gas/oil in them, rewind the twine every now and then and run the heck out of them. I use attachments, pole saw, blower, tiller, and edger in addition to sting trimmer. One is three years old and the other two. The older one needs a bulb and a new fuel line but it still runs like a top. I wear out blowers about one a year. One of the things I like about them is that they have so many attachments. With Stihl, you have to use their attachments, and they are proud of them.

I have a Stihl chain saw but Torro trimmers.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Mine is a Troy-Bilt 2 cycle. So far, I hate it with a passion.

I've done the jet adjustment to enrich the fuel mixture so it won't run so hot and not re-start, but I can't get the *$@#! thing to start at all now.

I got the TB because I thought it was a reputable brand. I guess I need to spend more money that I don't have and get a Stihl.

There come a time in everyone life when the "I really getting tired of messing with that crap"....realization kicks in.

I had always considered a pretty good wench and self sufficient enough to keep my power tool running.
    That and not having any money to waste on new equipment when perfectly good could and still can be picked up off the curb.

Change a plug, replace a pull rope or fuel line....away it went....

Had a Homelite weed wacker, that the bearing on the end of the shaft got some kind of nylon string in it(?).... and melted the plastic center of the head.

Driving down the street saw another one......guy must have dropped it and droke of the little casting that was the stop for the idle screw.
    Hummmm......Not exactly the same....but some putzing around....back in business my motor/ his shaft.

Still on the shelf....as I had moved on.

Anyway had always done this.....

Years ago DW bought me a Poulan Chainsaw....little thing cut a lot of wood....but was a PITA to start...always...the joke was they call it a Poulan saw because you keep pullin' and pullin' and pullin'.....Needs a fuel line again and carb...have the kit....
    (in the roundtuit box)

Next saw, ..one should never have ONE chainsaw and another Poulan....bigger longer bar....that ran pretty good and just stopped?

Took it to a fix it guy....says cost too much to fix...and showed me on the label..."This Saw rated for 50 hours"......Disposable chain saw?
    (In box for parts)
    Bought another one...still runs but also a PITA to start....kinda retired.

DW bought me another saw....How do you tell her that no,... just because I have had Poulan saws, that I LIKE them?....
    You don't, you say Thanks you dear, I love you...and put on the shelf.
    It is still new, never been started, in the case...in the garage, with a can on pre-mixed gas supposed to be good for 5 years..

This sounds like a lot of saws....but is over 30 years....everyone had been a Poulan....(chains and bars interchange, was my logic )

The the light came on when a buddy showed with he Stihl ....The same one he has been using all this time.
    Yes it was $500 bucks back then....and still runs and starts good after all these years......instead of 5 saws at $150 each and the aggravation.

Mind you, these saw cut several 100's dead oak and elm....(and scrub) at "The Place"

Learned my lesson and can afford a, Good saw, Good weed wacker, Good lawn tractor, Good snowblower...all better that the patched up rebuilt, scrounged, junk I have been using since I rebuilt a Clinton 3-1/2 salvage to cut grass on my Lawn business when I was 11 years old.

So the old "You can pay me now or pay me later" saying is true.

And I am convinced that new units were never suppose to be repaired...as shop time is $100 bucks an hour.
    I put them out on the curb....and let some young guy with a need, has ambition...and no money....mess with it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-22-2017 at 10:47 AM.

I have a Stihl chainsaw that I bought in 1982, still runs good to this day! Replaced several bars and chains but the motor has never been touched!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Mine is a Troy-Bilt 2 cycle. So far, I hate it with a passion.

I've done the jet adjustment to enrich the fuel mixture so it won't run so hot and not re-start, but I can't get the *$@#! thing to start at all now.

I got the TB because I thought it was a reputable brand. I guess I need to spend more money that I don't have and get a Stihl.
    That problem has always been constant with me and 2-cycles. Me and 2-cycles have never got along. So far, my 4-cycle troy bilt has been flawless. Sorry to hear about your experience.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Goats produce gas if they eat the right kind of grass !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp