Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is it possible to wash pesticide off?

  1. #1

    Default Is it possible to wash pesticide off?

    I know the pesticides used on most commercial farms are water soluble so consumers can eat them after a quick wash. But I just picked hundreds of serviceberries at a local community college and noticed that there was some white powder all over the bushes. I just now made the connection that it is probably some kind of pesticide. Even if the powder wasn't, I am pretty sure that the groundskeepers spray the plants anyway. Can these pesticides be washed off the same way that commercial-grade food pesticide can?

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    25,391

    Default

    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.

    Would be hard to tell????
    Quote>
    I am pretty sure that the groundskeepers spray the plants anyway
    <quote

    Why no ask the grounds keepers?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  3. #3
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    55,440

    Default

    Were the leaves covered as well? Is so, it was probably powdery mildew. I'd place a call as Hunter suggested. If the grounds folks did spray they can tell you what they used. If they didn't then you can take it to your county extension office and they should be able to tell you what it is.

  4. #4
    Resident Wildman Wildthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Do they taste poiseny?
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

  5. #5
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    25,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Do they taste poiseny?
    " poiseny?".......is that a word?...LOL

    I guess if it does....maybe best to save some of those berries for the EMT.....so you can tell what you poisoned yourself with.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  6. #6
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,424

    Default

    If you can't find out what it is, throw it out!
    Berries are the worst among fruits for being difficult to cleanse from pesticides, mostly because of size, texture and softness. Apples, for example, easier. (this, re. surface cleansing not what the plant might have absorbed while growing.)

  7. #7
    Senior Member WalkingTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Leafy things, like spinach or kale, absorbs easily so you can't wash it off or out, it's already in the leaves...so I'd prefer my leafy stuff to not have been sprayed at all if possible.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

    - William Arthur Ward

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •