Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Default Gps

Need some advice on the operation on a Garmin GPS....Not the phone app.

What is the biggest screen size out there seems a 6-7 in is about it?

Do any zoom maps in and out?....Like Google maps?

Mine worked pretty well, but was kinda of hard to figure out where I was in relation to all the highways in the area.
    There is a +/- but very limited as to size differential?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I use a 7" Android tablet with AndroiTS GPS Test and the maps from OsmAnd.
    I know it's not like having a full blown Garmin yakking directions at me but I can tell where I am at and how far I am from my destination.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

So you are talking about a tablet with an app?....
    Was kinda hoping for a stand alone.

Garmin does work very well......even gives you MPH vs speed limit.....
    Does a recalculate when without arguing with when you get off their idea of "best way"......

Mine is the $100 buck version(? ,gift)......Screen pretty small for old eyes......
    So a larger screen,.....that can be zoomed in or out ....useful....
    When you really need to know where to go.... is NOT the time to be taking your eyes off the road.

With ability to program a route in advance, would nice.
    I know the ability to program in waypoints used to be a nice feature in my old (old) hand held unit I used for hunting.
    Enter way points on the way out........and follow them back to start....or pre-program your route.

I bought the larger screened Garmin Nuvi so that it would be easier to see. There should be an onscreen + and - key for zooming in or out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WIll be heading out to Best Buy to look at different models......Looking at the Smart drive 6i
    6.95 screen.....three routes programmable...with WiFi and bluetooth...which I would guess you pay for separate?

The one I'm using in my truck (had to look) is the Garmin Drivesmart 60LMT. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/524675
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had to use my ten year old Tom-Tom just yesterday coming home from Lexington.

I lost the Popeye's Fried Chicken store but remembered the crossroad it was on. Even a ten year old unit can do that!

That sweet little lady talked me right up to the drive-through.

I use the speed limit calculation on the road since my vehicle speedometer is off a couple MPH on the low side. The GPS gives me exact speed so I just kick in the cruise control and ignore the dash.

Even the low end units give a lot for the money and can get you out of a tight spot without panic.

I know we say do not depend on them for life saving directions but they are sure handy when you are navigating an urban environment you do not know. Especially through city expressways where you need to change lanes in advance to be in the right lane at the right time.

I think I made a wrong turn once against the GPS directions and the girl came on and asked "What were you thinking? Get us the he!! out of here!"

Well not really, but she should have.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-18-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I had to use my ten year old Tom-Tom just yesterday coming home from Lexington.

I lost the Popeye's Fried Chicken store but remembered the crossroad it was on. Even a ten year old unit can do that!
    Have an older Nextar that does a good job of telling you the road you just crossed...
    Helped out wandering on the Red River lowland south of Texarkana loong for the Mud races...They are not good at marking roads.

That sweet little lady talked me right up to the drive-through.
    Lady on Garmin is the voice the Church Lady...Isn't that special

I use the speed limit calculation on the road since my vehicle speedometer is off a couple MPH on the low side. The GPS gives me exact speed so I just kick in the cruise control and ignore the dash.
    I thought that was a suggestion?

Even the low end units give a lot for the money and can get you out of a tight spot without panic.
    Agree........

I know we say do not depend on them for life saving directions but they are sure handy when you are navigating an urban environment you do not know. Especially through city expressways where you need to change lanes in advance to be in the right lane at the right time.
    No Ship.....help me out...for sure

I think I made a wrong turn once against the GPS directions and the girl came on and asked "What were you thinking? Get us the he!! out of here!"
    Mine says "Make U turn and go back"...about 3 times....Then... "Whatever, you are gonna do what you want anyway...men

Well not really, but she should have.
    Actually I am back after my recent trip.....and don't really need a new unit......
    But
    as DW was asking about what I wanted for a FD gift,...and heard me talking about what I would like to see on a GPS....I set out looking for what I would like to see...and if they were made .

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The one I'm using in my truck (had to look) is the Garmin Drivesmart 60LMT. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/524675
    I kinda like that one......

Go for it, it's Fathers Day!

Strike when the time is at hand.

Oh. BTW....
    Happy Father's Day y'all

When I transitioned from using map books to GPS (several appointments a day) it was like magic. This is probably one of the tech items that I use the most. While I have some apps on my IPhone that can do similar things, my GPS is invaluable to me. When my last one broke, my next stop was Best Buy to get another (the one I am currently using). I've been through quite a few GPS units and will always have one - even when I retire (which is coming closer and closer).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also got the Nuvi before the vehicles had them. I still have it and keep it updated. It's pretty handy. I really liked the road signs displayed and telling you which lane to be in if you have to make a turn on the BIG road. Those county roads can get pretty confusing sometimes.

Sorry, no help with the gps. I use my phone, which I know isn't as helpful as a dedicated mounted unit. Some day I plan to get a mounted unit... maybe I will look at this thread for suggestions. For woods stuff, I use a garmin etrex 10. It is their cheapest unit and I basically only use it to tell me the grid coordinate. Then I look on my paper map and match the info to figure out where I am.

By the way, for gifts, you need to make an Amazon wish list. If you don't already have one, you make an Amazon account with sign in and everything. Then you make a wish list and make sure it is a public one. Then you show your wife and kids how to get to it. Then you fill it up with stuff you want. Like the Sears catalogue for today. I was telling my dad this just yesterday. Although it sure is nice trying to figure out what someone wants, having a list to go off of is even better.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I use a ten inch tablet with a Google map app that read directions. Mrs likes it because you can drive with a satellite view and it will give an image of the intersection that an action is required. The large screen makes things easy to see at a glance so you aren't concentrating on the screen and can stay focused on the road. Already had the tablet, app is free.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Yeah, well no smart phone. or tablet....sooo

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, well no smart phone. or tablet....sooo
    Hunter if you are not nailed into a contract you can work the system on that.

I just switched carriers and got unlimited talk/text +4G data for $40 a month and they gave me a free smart phone. About once a week I go to the office and they teach me how to use another function I did not realize I needed.

There is a tech war going on right now, you can take advantage of it.

That is almost as good as a pizza war!

Yeah, maybe......
    Spent that last week in a house full of people that were on their devices....almost all day....
    DW and I.... and the 2 year old toddler..... were the only one not off to the cyber world.
    He had an old broken phone on so he could practice swiping....

Wellllll.......
    Visit to Best Buy ......and came home with a Garman Drive Smart 61 LMT.......
    If nothing else nice big screen......
    No waypoint entry, no zoom in and out other than very local.....same as my smaller one.
    But maybe trip entry....Where I add my route?...
    No owners manual....LOL no one reads one anyway...

Anyway....has Blue Tooth...kids says flip phone won't work....but can down load up dates thru the PC.

Now got to thinking....my LG Flip phone does has Blue tooth and after trying it....shows up both on the phone and GPS device list.
    Sounds like it will work.....gotta make a stop at my US Cellular guy.....

Also seems that my Mifi Hotspot works as well......so may be in business?

So says to go register and download up dates ...will take 2 hours(?)....
    Then the battery went dead.....Not connected to a charging source.

Truck will work.....but I think it need to be running to charge...?
    My small one drops out when unplugged..so don't know if it will last longer to leave it plugged in...

Also I need to find a better mount.....the suction cup one never seems to stay "stuck"

Sooo got a project for next week.....
    Do like the big screen.

I don't care for the suction cup mounts. I've been using this one for quite a few years. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-p...=ref:212,loc:2 When it kind of loses its "traction" just wipe the dirt/dust off the bottom.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel