Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps

I was looking at those.....
    So sits on the dash?....
    Can to reach for the drivers seat....
    Can you work the screen with out moving around?

Hate the suction mount cup mounts....the current GPSt on rides on the suction cup mount, stuck in a travel cup in the dash cup holder.
    (cuts the beer capacity in half)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can reach it without moving around. I also like the fact that I can move it around easily to change my field of vision.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I can reach it without moving around. I also like the fact that I can move it around easily to change my field of vision.
    Ordered one yesterday....
    Have been looking for another spot to mount the suction cup....surface of dash is textured...suction cup won't stick.
    Windshield too far away...and not sure if I want to obstruct the view anyway....

The older small Garmin was in a coffee cup in the cup holder held in my stiffing foam rubber packing around it....
    This one is larger...power cord hits the cup, so won't sit very solid.

Old truck uses a travel cup....is taller...but still can't get it to sit solid enough.
    Thing about putting two cups together...and trying the the suction cup again on the smooth surface.....Still working on it.

Had older cell phone mount with small base...the sticks on the instrument panel, also has 2 small screws....pretty solid mount.
    Has a small footprint so was a possibility......but the ball won't fit my GPS mount....No joy.

Now the Blue tooth....
    My old flip phone has Bluetooth...was able to find the Garmin, Garmin says "twinned"... says connected but that's it....I guess you need a smartphone and an app.

Sooo, drove out to my US Cellular store.....was greeted at the door by a very nice looking young lady.
    We discussed it and confirmed that the Bluetooth would work, but do need the app.. (now the pitch to sign me up with a Smart phone)

Declined at this time...as the GPS isn't something I would use everyday....and don't feel the NEED to upgrade the whole system so that the GPS can argue with me.....Still don't know whats missing?

So then I did tell her that may Hot spot will connect.....she asked "Uh... what kind do you have?
    Told her it was a Verizon MiFi....so here comes again..... the big sad eyes, ...She tell me that makes her sad...and says she can get me 10GB for $60 bucks....US Cellular Hotspot.

My Verizon give me 20GB for $80...and works everywhere I have tried it...even when the cell is "No service"

Told here I had tried to get a Hot spot from them back when....wasn't offered.
    She looked at me funny as if to say "What?

Told here I have had US Cellular since 1996.....And I do believe that was longer than she had been alive....
    Shen has never known a time without a cell phone...
    We shared a OMG moment...LOL

She says she felt bad that she couldn't help me...(she was good...LOL..she will go far).

But this was about me,.... not her....so resisted her wiles.....
    I was the Geezer that got away......for now.

Pressing on with this quest....

I thought for a second there when she asked you what kind of hot spot you had that you might violate the forum's PG-13 rating.

I use GPS all day, every day and have never used the Bluetooth features of them. I do have and use Bluetooth in my work truck which is kind of handy. In the 2002 I just don't answer the phone when I drive.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So basicly the Blue Tooth is a link to work you phone.....Right?

Anyway fooling around with the older version....going in the '99....was playing with the zoom +/-....and it does zoom way out....Nice to see start and finish.

I had only been able to increase or decrease one size....????....Maybe that stuff is shut off when moving?....

Will be fooling with it again....the heading out to "The Place"...
    It shows my address about 2 houses down to the east...???.....So am wondering if do a "save" while sitting in the drive way....it will "find" the house.

The quest continues.

You know, you can always screw it into the dash... no suction cups.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You know, you can always screw it into the dash... no suction cups.
    LOL....Thought of that....not real a good open spot for it...Was gonna pull my old cell phone mount out of the '99......has a small footprint.
    .......but won't fit my mount.
    Waiting on the portable unit I ordered.

Sooooo...Right now suction cup is stuck on the bottom of a little tin with Vienna sausages in it....
    That fits into a taller old Budweiser insulated beer cup.....and is about perfect....if it would stay there.
    May have to glue this up...

Another option is a Pringles Can.....May be my next try....

Appears the Bluetooth is to talk on your phone wirelessly....that about it......I have no real need for this.

Pressing on...

Yeah, the Bluetooth just allows you to use the speaker on the GPS for your phone - a hands free set up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sooo...
    Plan a) Cup and sausage tin didn't work so well....kept falling off.
    Plan b) Pringles tube....(they were good...LOL)...suction cup work well on metal surface.....correct height.

Kind of light and top heavy....Needs be weighted down....does fit over a 12 oz beer can....Naw... waste of beer.
    So weighed down with a sock with pennies.......And y'all thought the penny sock was a myth...LOL

So far, so good....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Y'know, my solution always works for me....I walk.

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

If I walked I would have to figure out some way to fasten a gps until to my belt so that I could see it all the time. THAT would be a major undertaking. My cell phone would have to have a shoulder rest. Those blue tooth ear thingies are just too easy. I want a duct tape and bailing wire shoulder rest. I would also need to a way to pick up pennies without bending over. Walking presents a lot of problems.

Sitting out at "The Place" thos evening.....got here at about noon.
    Didn't set a "find a route" just ran "View map"......

Guess I need to check over how the setting work.
    It did zoom in and out for highway driving........ to more detailed close in view streets in towns.

Then a " pop up" "for lack of a better word' telling me....
    That "You have been driving for a while (about 2 hours)...do you need a break??????.....then a listing for fuel, food, lodging.....at your location..
    What the heck????....Almost like a web page loaded with pop-ups?
    What's next...?.... "Advertizing to list establishments close by?
    This trip brought to you by Amazon .com?

Quest continues....

Anyway....seems to be working OK....and is much easier to see......

You should be able to ask it for nearby gas stations, restaurants, etc and it will map out the closest. Cool feature if you are in a strange town. Or just one you've never been to. Or both I guess.

Actually, I bought a thing from WalMart that straps my phone to my arm. It feels all StarTrekky.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

After a lot of menu searching....I was able to mark "The Place" as a favorite, by sitting in the driveway....
    Named it " The Place"...so as to not confuse the machines marking my address down the road 1/2 mile.

Then I had to fool around awhile longer to "delete" the other position....
    All that gas station, restaurants, lodging etc..are nice but could use a simple "highlight and delete".

The quests continues....

After soe months playing with the GPS...I'm finding I'm kinda liking it.....
    Still wish it had a "record this route" mode....to track route for future use...So far no joy.

Does give me some one to argue with when driving alone.....

Latest find....indicator came on telling me "deer crossing".......
    Sooooo...Just drive to that location, load up the rifle and wait......cool stuff

No if it would just tell you doe or buck and what size.

I can see the future...chipped deer with locator......
    Push scan. look over profiles, pick the one you want and push "shoot".
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-13-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No if it would just tell you doe or buck and what size.
    That no longer matters. Got a doe tag and shoot a buck? Just tell the game warden that it was self identifying as a doe on this day. Problem solved.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel