Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any one here experienced with hydroponics/auqaponics?

The rain doesn't care if it is day or night. Plants don't care if it rains day or night. Most plants don't so much like being top watered with cold water on a sweltering hot sunny day. Use a watering can and water at the base if a plant goes into heat prostration. I've had plants recover from some pretty serious wilting, so don't yank something as dead until you give it at least a day or two to recover.

Crop rotation goes a long way toward preventing diseases in the soil that may splash up when hose watering. Other mitigation varies from mulching, to installing drip lines, to simply trimming up the lower leaves of the plant so they aren't near the ground. My tomatoes get trimmed up as they grow so the whole bottom 1' of stem has no leaves. You don't pick produce when it is wet either to avoid the transfer of rot causing organisms.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    The rain doesn't care if it is day or night. Plants don't care if it rains day or night. Most plants don't so much like being top watered with cold water on a sweltering hot sunny day. Use a watering can and water at the base if a plant goes into heat prostration. I've had plants recover from some pretty serious wilting, so don't yank something as dead until you give it at least a day or two to recover.

Crop rotation goes a long way toward preventing diseases in the soil that may splash up when hose watering. Other mitigation varies from mulching, to installing drip lines, to simply trimming up the lower leaves of the plant so they aren't near the ground. My tomatoes get trimmed up as they grow so the whole bottom 1' of stem has no leaves. You don't pick produce when it is wet either to avoid the transfer of rot causing organisms.
    All good advice.....
    Impatiens planted around your garden...clump here and there........Will wilt before most everything also....and come back when watered....kind of a watering gauge.
    New Guinea's in sunny locations.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This wiki article is good

There is a company called Aerogarden.com that self contained hydroponic gardens with Full Spectrum LED grow lights, and built in light timer and water pump.. most models have a variable light settings for various plants and for flowering stage. others also have both water pump and aerator.

The reason why I am mentioning them is that they have one of the best mediums for putting the seeds in and they also sell full spectrum LED lamps.

Personally, I own 8 hydroponic gardens, and I have never had an issue with the veggies or herbs ever tasting different then ones I grow outdoors. I find that all of the stuff I plant in hydroponic gardens grow much faster and larger then in the outdoors, least the ones that can be grown hydroponically. One year i had a basil plant that hit close to 5 feet high, ate a lot of pesto that year lol.

The hydroponic gardens that I have made are from those plastic shoe boxes, I drop in 1-2 fish tank stone aerators, and have a LED full spectrum grow light on a timer. The only nutrients I use are from the previous nights water I made veggies in. Every month I drain the reservoirs of all my h20 gardens. Been growing food in my hydroponic gardens since 2007, I just find it cool to have edible indoor plants.

One thing though I had problems with and that is tap water (additives), so I pour water into a bucket and let it sit overnight, as the tap water was killing my hydro plants