Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for 3.5 inch max length EDC folder

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And those bubble wrap envelopes! You can not get into those things without a knife!

I carry an EDC but the most used knife would be one of the multi-tools that live on the lamp table beside the recliner. I drag most of the small projects to the easy chair for work while watching TV and the multi-tool is a good compact tool box.

It that don't work I will drill it with the EDC living room drill press!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wahoo Killer end table knife.
    Chainsaw.....need a chainsaw....

"EDC living room drill press" hahahaha...almost wet myself...or maybe that was the meds?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I use atleast one of my EDC carry's daily as well seems always into something
    Semper Paratus

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

My EDC knife alternates between a Victorinox Trecker and a CRKT Edgie 2, with the Edgie 2 rapidly becoming the most carried and used pocket knife. I also have attached to my key rings a CRKT P.E.C.K.. That is the neatest, handiest little knife and I always have it with me and it is quick to get into action. It is ideal for opening packages and envelopes and plastic wrap.
    Geezer Squad #2

there are a lot of people that just simply carry one because they see others doing it or they see the EDC youtube vids ect.. and they literally get dumb founded when some one who does not carry any knives asks them why they carry one. Those of us who EDC for actual reasons can bury them in reasons lol. I also never consider my daily use EDC folder as a survival tool in fact it would be a last resort i would sooner use my fixed blade neck knife even though its got a shorter blade though the go to would be the mora in the backpack. I would open carry my farson blade if i didnt have to ride public transit lol that thing is so useful.

I don't really agree with your logic on many levels and wonder where it come from?...But if that's your experience....Hey, who am I to say.

Again let use know what you come up with.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I don't really agree with your logic on many levels and wonder where it come from?...But if that's your experience....Hey, who am I to say.

Again let use know what you come up with.....
    not every one sees a knife the way us survivalists do many of them see it as nothing more then a weapon to kill thankfully im in a more military/conservative area if i was in denver the cops there will stop you if they see a clip and want to measure the blade if its a knife. I do still get alot of those types of people asking me why i carry a knife as if it has no other use. i also see alot of trend followers here as well who carry stuff because they saw a youtuber or bear grylls do it and when asked why the best they can say is umm its cool. I am also in the city and i am often the only one who can provide a knife when a situation comes up where one is needed while around groups in excess of 50+ more often then i ever was when i lived out in the country in a smaller town even all the kids had a knife lol. we all grow up different and see things in a different way based on how we where raised. i see a knife as a very versatile tool but i would never really trust a folder as a weapon or hard use survival tool since the lock can fail even the cold steel triad lock can fail and then you will have to hope you or some one in your group has first aid skill . I also dont get to choose the types of people i am around when working for a company that sends me out to what ever company requests my services. So one day i could be around like minded people or next liberals who think everything is offensive or any one in between.

There are people who do things because they see others doing them those are the types i was talking about that never really use what they carry every day they do it because its a trend. I used to almost be one of them but in relation to paracord since the bracelets i wear only had an alternate use twice. Once was when a girl friend made an improptu stop at a yard sale and she never keeps any type of rope/twin in the car so to tie down the large item she got to the top of her car i had to unravel my 2 barcelets. The other time was to make an improptu leash for a stray dog. even though those trend followers dont have a reason on mind for why they carry it they will come across some eventually they just tend to not do anything that requires often use of their knife. we are all different but we will still encounter many of the same problems none the less

either way ill find something i just cant get my hands on anything because we have no decent shops locally plenty of gun shops but for knives the options are walmart and ace hardware and those are slim pickings.

Yeah...OK....

Quote>
    not every one sees a knife the way us survivalists do many of them see it as nothing more then a weapon to kill
    < quote.

What ever...like I said, I don't agree with you logic nor concern on what other people think....

Not going down this rabbit hole.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
    not every one sees a knife the way us survivalists do many of them see it as nothing more then a weapon to kill thankfully im in a more military/conservative area if i was in denver the cops there will stop you if they see a clip and want to measure the blade if its a knife. I do still get alot of those types of people asking me why i carry a knife as if it has no other use. i also see alot of trend followers here as well who carry stuff because they saw a youtuber or bear grylls do it and when asked why the best they can say is umm its cool. I am also in the city and i am often the only one who can provide a knife when a situation comes up where one is needed while around groups in excess of 50+ more often then i ever was when i lived out in the country in a smaller town even all the kids had a knife lol. we all grow up different and see things in a different way based on how we where raised. i see a knife as a very versatile tool but i would never really trust a folder as a weapon or hard use survival tool since the lock can fail even the cold steel triad lock can fail and then you will have to hope you or some one in your group has first aid skill . I also dont get to choose the types of people i am around when working for a company that sends me out to what ever company requests my services. So one day i could be around like minded people or next liberals who think everything is offensive or any one in between.

There are people who do things because they see others doing them those are the types i was talking about that never really use what they carry every day they do it because its a trend. I used to almost be one of them but in relation to paracord since the bracelets i wear only had an alternate use twice. Once was when a girl friend made an improptu stop at a yard sale and she never keeps any type of rope/twin in the car so to tie down the large item she got to the top of her car i had to unravel my 2 barcelets. The other time was to make an improptu leash for a stray dog. even though those trend followers dont have a reason on mind for why they carry it they will come across some eventually they just tend to not do anything that requires often use of their knife. we are all different but we will still encounter many of the same problems none the less

either way ill find something i just cant get my hands on anything because we have no decent shops locally plenty of gun shops but for knives the options are walmart and ace hardware and those are slim pickings.
    I don't know how you can have slim pickings for knives with the Internet, Amazon stocks tons
    Semper Paratus

not every one sees a knife the way us survivalists do many of them see it as nothing more then a weapon to kill
    Maybe in your community. I don't think too many people here view themselves as survivalists (wilderness survival is not the same as the widely accepted term for survivalist). I think most people here view a knife much like they do a firearm. They are tools. They are used to accomplish tasks that you need to get done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have been carrying a knife for a long time and have never had anyone ask why I carry. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Nadda.

My version of survival is being down to a couple dozen cans of coffee, six pounds of bacon or half a case of Spam. Of course, if any bad weather is on the radar then the obligatory milk, bread and eggs can be thrown in.

Or still 11:30 PM and only 2 beers left......

Only time anyone ever asked me was "Hey anyone have a knife"..."Sure here ya go"
    Gibbs rule # 9......Never go anywhere without a knife.

Kildar, I feel like you are putting way too much thought into this...get on amazon, get on knifecenter.com, order a Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog and a Bud-K catalog. Find one and buy it. It's not really that difficult. Decide you want something different? Buy another one. I literally have ever a 5 gallon bucket of knives I've acquired over the years, some of which have I've retired frome use, others I've barely carried.
    Just get one and try it out. We can't tell you what to get because a knife is a very personal choice.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

It's a personal preference, there are a ton of options for folders...
    Think of the main uses you might want to use it for
    then you can narrow it down to the Types of steel, and the Grind
    the knife scales, the lockup mechinism (there are so many)
    And then the Price.
    I like schrade Folders mostly carry a schrade sch304

Not using a folder for survival? well you can not deterimine ever when you will land yourself into any situation, and I rather take a folder over nothing at all.
    I have often used my folder to pry off my car window to get in (locked keys in car)
    and a whole host of other things.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Since this is a forum dedicated to wilderness survival most of our discussion revolves around those kinds of tools. Urban EDC is different; you probably won't have to baton any wood or do much carving, but you may have to cut a seatbelt or a sandwich with equal aplomb. For the most part I don't need a huge knife in my daily travels- my normal EDC is a Spyderco Dragonfly in HAP40. It's around 2" long (the blade) and very sharp, and HAP40 offers superb edge retention. That little knife rides on a carabiner with my work keys. On my day off I carry a slightly larger knife mostly because 1) I don't carry that big ring of work keys when I don't need them and I just have the one sprint-run Dragonfly and 2) on my day off I have space in my pocket for a little bigger knife. So usually it's either a Spyderco Delica in VG-10 or a Spyderco Native5 in Maxamet.

Your needs may be different than mine but I don't pry with a knife or use it as a screwdriver. I like a knife with a very sharp edge and great slicing power so I always opt for a knife with a full flat grind if I can. Spyderco knives always have a good edge out of the box, they're well made and most of them are pretty light (as most use polymer or FRN scales, some have G10). They're easy to open with one hand and have good lockwork. As a bonus most of them don't look super "tactical" and threatening, either.

The thing about a EDK, is you will use what you have! My Dad and Uncles carried those little cheap folders that had the stamped metal bolsters and scales, had around 3 blades, and made of carbon steel. They skinned and quartered everything from rabbits to deer with those little knives, and they never said, I wish I had a better knife! I think they were just glad to have a knife!
    When I was around 10 years old I bought Dad a yellow Case Trapper and he thought he had done and died and gone to heaven. I think that was his first high quality knife, and he absolutely loved it. That was his survival knife, EDK, finger nail cleaner, box cutter, and critter skinner. I still have that knife and boy does it bring back the memories! It is funny how the attitude has changed about knives. In the last 50 years we have gone from, it ain't pretty but it's a knife, to what kind of exotic metal and action meets my criteria for a good EDK! Bottom line is you can never have enough of them.

My favorite EDK's are:
    Light in the pocket
    Holds a good edge
    Locking blade
    No pocket clip
    No longer than a 3" blade

If you need a weapon, get a gun........LOL
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    The thing about a EDK, is you will use what you have! My Dad and Uncles carried those little cheap folders that had the stamped metal bolsters and scales, had around 3 blades, and made of carbon steel. They skinned and quartered everything from rabbits to deer with those little knives, and they never said, I wish I had a better knife! I think they were just glad to have a knife!
    When I was around 10 years old I bought Dad a yellow Case Trapper and he thought he had done and died and gone to heaven. I think that was his first high quality knife, and he absolutely loved it. That was his survival knife, EDK, finger nail cleaner, box cutter, and critter skinner. I still have that knife and boy does it bring back the memories! It is funny how the attitude has changed about knives. In the last 50 years we have gone from, it ain't pretty but it's a knife, to what kind of exotic metal and action meets my criteria for a good EDK! Bottom line is you can never have enough of them.

My favorite EDK's are:
    Light in the pocket
    Holds a good edge
    Locking blade
    No pocket clip
    No longer than a 3" blade

If you need a weapon, get a gun........LOL
    Sooo true. Well said. Reps given
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    I don't know how you can have slim pickings for knives with the Internet, Amazon stocks tons
    i said local as in brick and mortar stores online stores you dont get to hold stuff before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
    i said local as in brick and mortar stores online stores you dont get to hold stuff before you buy
    Reviews! Read reviews and or watch reviews... If I can get awesome production knives in Africa you should be able to also get.

Just read an article proclaiming this as the best EDC in the world!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...stsurviving-20
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF