Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions for 3.5 inch max length EDC folder

Default suggestions for 3.5 inch max length EDC folder

So I live in the oppressive state of Colorado at least when it comes to carrying a concealed knife nothing more then 3.5 inches so was curious as to what people have found to be a good folding every day carry knife that is 3.5 inches or less. Currently i carry the Cold Steel Finn Wolf.

I carry a leatherman with a 3" folding blade. As a tradesman, I can carry that even in Boston where the limit is 2.5"
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Any small pocket knife that does what you need it to do will work. Personally, I carry three along with a fixed blade knife while I'm out and about.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I carry a leatherman with a 3" folding blade. As a tradesman, I can carry that even in Boston where the limit is 2.5"
    I also carry a leatherman wave however the folder is my go to for most jobs and i carry a small CRKT civet Bowie neck knife. Just curious as to what quality folders are out there i like the cold steel tri-ad locking system its almost fool proof however most of them dont have the flipper level just thumb studs. some have the flat stud that catches on the pocket and opens as you pull it out those tend to be the 5-7.5 inch blade lengths like the Rajah II or X-L espada.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Any small pocket knife that does what you need it to do will work. Personally, I carry three along with a fixed blade knife while I'm out and about.
    i have to keep what i carry hidden due to riding the public bus system if they can see it they wont let you on the bus so i keep a mora with the firesteel in the handle in my backpack, and as mentioned above the leatherman and neck knife. I just think a flipper with the assist lever would make a better daily use knife faster to open.

EDC pretty much.....SAK Huntsman and a Schrade Mini Extreme Survival AUTO 2.4" folder.......
    Usually somewhere within reach..... a Wahoo Killer knife......

Some kind of bigger fixed blade when out in the woods.
    Lately a Crash Blade or Mora.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hmm my other post is not showing up. Anyhow in addition to the Finn Wolf i carry a leatherman wave and a small neck knife. As for fixed blade i have to ensure its concealed since i ride public transit and they wont allow people on with visible weapons even if its a utility or bush craft style knife. So i keep the Mora light my fire in my back pack where it stays hidden. Reason i am looking at different flipper options is the Finn Wolf i currently carry does not have the flipper lever to open it fast it only has thumb studs and using a wrist flick to open it scares any one nearby lol.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are virtually thousands of knives that will fit your needs since you are dealing with a law that allows anything up to a Buck 110. Go to a good knife shop and make your choice.

I EDC three knives but none of them are larger than 2.5". Bigger knives are in the kits and containers but I never seem to need them.

Riding public transport in a Colorado city, if you get searched you are going to be charged with carrying concealed even if the straight blade or big folding knives are in a backpack.

You might consider getting a CCW permit and stop feeling oppressed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Schrade has a 3.5 " versions as well....
    These are "AUTO" openin ...don't know if they are legal or not.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...uto&series=80&

Spyderco Endura or CKRT Shenanigan.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Have you actually read Colorado's knife law? And the various ordinances in the counties you frequent?

Assisted-open push-button knives are considered switchblades, which are illegal, but soon will be legal (August 9)

Your concealed Mora is still illegal. Especially so if it deployable.

The question is, how big of a knife can you carry if it is not concealed? There doesn't seem to be a ready answer to that.

And while I said I could carry a 3" blade in Boston, I can do that on the way to/from a jobsite, not so much when visiting, say, the USS Consititution Museum or similar...

< Not a lawyer.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

The cold steel you have is a very good blade.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    There are virtually thousands of knives that will fit your needs since you are dealing with a law that allows anything up to a Buck 110. Go to a good knife shop and make your choice.

I EDC three knives but none of them are larger than 2.5". Bigger knives are in the kits and containers but I never seem to need them.

Riding public transport in a Colorado city, if you get searched you are going to be charged with carrying concealed even if the straight blade or big folding knives are in a backpack.

You might consider getting a CCW permit and stop feeling oppressed.
    actually there is no law against carrying concealed on the public transit have seen plenty of other riders drop their pocket knives and even the drivers with no issues. they are just required to say no to any one with an open carry weapon. It is also legal to carry a firearm on colorado public transit with a CCW. Sadly even though our CCW says concealed carry weapons it still only applies to firearms i checked as i wanted to carry an extendable baton.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Have you actually read Colorado's knife law? And the various ordinances in the counties you frequent?

Assisted-open push-button knives are considered switchblades, which are illegal, but soon will be legal (August 9)

Your concealed Mora is still illegal. Especially so if it deployable.

The question is, how big of a knife can you carry if it is not concealed? There doesn't seem to be a ready answer to that.

And while I said I could carry a 3" blade in Boston, I can do that on the way to/from a jobsite, not so much when visiting, say, the USS Consititution Museum or similar...

< Not a lawyer.
    the standard flippers are not assisted also even the assisted ones are not considered switch blades what i am think is of the ones that just have a smooth action so when you press the flipper nub that sticks out it swing open from momentum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSMRA4k1xM kind of like this here zero tolerance just looking for something similar that is not well very expensive

as for the mora its a bush craft knife and meets the 3.5 inch requirement making its concealment legal no different then having a 3.5 inch folder in your pocket and at the bottom of a backpack its not accessed easy its more of a if things happen i have it for making a fire and other needs. the folder is what i used often i do a lot of temp work where i am cutting boxes and or other knife uses.

open carry is limited to hunting/sporting knives meaning i could carry a Bowie of any length or something similar if i can show its a hunting/sporting purposed knife but then the drivers wont let me on the bus lol and ya if i go to a government building obviously i gotta leave all the stuff at home.

Mostly what I am after is saving time throughout the day by getting the knife on task faster.
    Last edited by Kildar; 06-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.

As a person's knife is a very personal thing...

Laws, uses desires, and pricing ......I can only let you know what is important to me.

So generally a "What is the BEST knife" discussion means little, to anyone but the poster....
    The "read law discussions are important to you, the OP but only for your state....
    Anyone one else really doesn't need to know or care.....or is a lawyer....for your state, city, county etc.

The rest of us can only to suggest options.

OP Quote>
    Mostly what I am after is saving time throughout the day by getting the knife on task faster.< quote

I can't this of any situation where I would need to "get the knife on task faster"...safer to take you time.
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I can't this of any situation where I would need to "get the knife on task faster"...safer to take you time.
    Just saying.
    when using it often and there would be no safety issue i could safely flick what i have open but the loud click and rapid motion would unsettle others because that is a typical motion used by those about to attack with a knife. I used to have something along those lines but years of use and resharpening left it no longer practical for use. I spent many hours cutting boxes down for recycling bins as well as opening boxes, cutting shrink wrap off skids ect... I guess i could just wait till i arrive at the work site then take the mora out of the backpack and clip it on the belt. I dont like box cutters because i always break the blades to fast lol. Suggestions was all i was after really mostly just looking for something similar to the zero tolerance but in the 40-60 dollar range vs the 300 dollar range lol. side note i been using and playing with knives since i was 6 and never once cut myself with a knife but get me one of the so called safety box cutters and will cut myself with in a few hours guaranteed no clue why but just how it is for me.

Spyderco paramilitary 2, and Swiss Army knife with saw blade
    Semper Paratus

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I noted on your profile that your occupation is "student" and from your posts you seem to have a firearms restriction and are leaning heavy on alternative weapons.

How old are you?

Knowing if you are underage will make our replies to you more in line with your legal capabilities.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've never felt that a thumb stud slowed me down that much...I doubt the fraction of a second you would gain with a flipper over a standard thumb stud (or Spiderco hole) would really make any difference. If you must have it, pick up a Kershaw, they like their flippers, are very affordable and you can always take out the spring if you want to avoid any "switchblade" laws.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I guess it would be good to bring up that "get the knife on task faster"...may very well get you shot in certain area's.

Don't pull it... unless you are going to use...know your odds.

Sometimes "hauling butt" make more sense.

lol well i dont think that is an issue on a loading dock cutting up a stack of like 200 cardboard boxes or in a warehouse cutting shrink wrap off of skids just when you do a wrist flick people get nervous because the noise then the visual tend to trigger holly wood thoughts of gang bangers about to cut some one lol. hence wanting fast and quiet besides i would never use a folding knife in a fight unless it is my absolute last option i got a tactical pen, pepper spray, and when legal hand gun for that stuff. the folder is just a tool for me the leatherman blade can do the job just as good but it is not fast to deploy and is a bit more bulky. I understand most people rarely use their EDC knife if at all i however use it for hours but have learned its never safe to set down as it ends up becoming someone else,s knife then hence having to open/close it a lot. oh well was just hoping for some suggestions form others since there is not much of a market locally to find knives here so i have to order for online meaning i dont get to check it out before hand ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
    ....snip....
    I understand most people rarely use their EDC knife if at all ......
    (
    I do not agree....?????...LOL
    I use the SAK several times a day...more if a cooky box or bag of chips is giving me a hassle.
    or slicing an apple...or opening mail, ...or FED EX package....or cleaning fingernails....or digging dandelions.

If I didn't I would not carry it....

All this does not help you choose a knife...and I agree you should look at and handle that ever you think you like....
    Then again asking others doesn't allow that either.