Thread: Our Gander Mountain is closing....

Default Our Gander Mountain is closing....

Wasn't on the earlier list...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/...ive/101428806/

....but a visit this week to our store has the "Store closing closeout sale"
    Don't know if they are going to liquidate other stores inventory...or if This store is closing as well.

Had a sign up "0% off everything"....???? Big Whoop.

Maybe I'll stop and see if they have any Handi Rifles left in my missing calibers.
    Also make me wonder if they will be liquiding other store stock......with out their "Ship to store fee"...

That's a crock of do-do... They ship to themselves ...Because they don't have it....and you pay?

Too bad....has turned into a shoe store...but did have the best in store selection around.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ours too. Everybody was rolling their eyes at the "big" savings. I walked out with all my money.

Tool & Die Maker

Not sure what happened to Gander Mountain. They were started near the Wisconsin-Illinois state line in Wilmot. One thing in particular that got them started was selling reloading supplies and equipment for water fowlers. I remember driving up there to buy
    a set of duck decoys in 1974.

Drove past the ware house about 3 years ago and it was vacated. Huge building just sitting there. It appeared they were going to strictly retail and discontinue mail order.

Around here, hunting and fishing interest has seriously dropped off. A buddy of mine that deer hunts told me a week ago Illinois has more deer permits than hunters so he gets several deer permits. Years ago obtaining deer permits for certain counties was hit or miss. I'm sorry to say I quit hunting and fishing a few years ago but today I'm a serious wild hog hunter. But I was able to lease property for hunting that has plenty of wild hogs on it, in Florida.

Our Gander Mountain started off OK. A little pricey but had a pretty good selection. Then...

They took the long guns off the floor (where they were secured but able to be handled) and stuck them behind the counter. Wanna look close at that 99 dollar SS 20g? Take a number. Literally. 2 guys behind the counter. Sloooooooooow.

Sale prices were a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Not sure what happened to Gander Mountain. They were started near the Wisconsin-Illinois state line in Wilmot. One thing in particular that got them started was selling reloading supplies and equipment for water fowlers. I remember driving up there to buy
    a set of duck decoys in 1974.

Drove past the ware house about 3 years ago and it was vacated. Huge building just sitting there. It appeared they were going to strictly retail and discontinue mail order.

Around here, hunting and fishing interest has seriously dropped off. A buddy of mine that deer hunts told me a week ago Illinois has more deer permits than hunters so he gets several deer permits. Years ago obtaining deer permits for certain counties was hit or miss. I'm sorry to say I quit hunting and fishing a few years ago but today I'm a serious wild hog hunter. But I was able to lease property for hunting that has plenty of wild hogs on it, in Florida.
    That original store was in Wilmont, WI....and was local for me..I live in the area.
    It was a just store- front....small showroom, but a much larger warehouse.....

They would display clothes and boots examples.....but only on one size....
    You have to take the item number up to the counter.,...and they would go get whatever size you wanted from the warehouse

Then they opened the "outlet store" in Wilmot next to the catalog store.......
    I loved that store...and it was a true outlet.....

Pallets of $120 buck Tasco Scopes $20 bucks each....should have bought 100 of them.

Big box of loosed Danner Boots....you had to dig thru and match up a pair...and/or take a insulated insole out of one boot and cut it down when you got home....Still have them.

Returned clothes......always something new.....whatever was over stocked. returned, scratch and dent's ....with deep discounts.

Then they moved the retail the store that is just out on the interstate.....about 4 miles away.......
    Started out great.
    Cabela's bought the mail order part about then.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Our Gander Mountain started off OK. A little pricey but had a pretty good selection. Then...

They took the long guns off the floor (where they were secured but able to be handled) and stuck them behind the counter. Wanna look close at that 99 dollar SS 20g? Take a number. Literally. 2 guys behind the counter. Sloooooooooow.

Sale prices were a joke.
    Happened here as well....couldn't handle any firearms....department not managed well at all.
    Got rid of the ATV department and boats...

Reloading supplies were dropped as that sold out.....still some odds and ends around....

Gunsmiths used to be a good part of that business as well.... that has dropped off.
    The big selection of used guns has been going away..

Prices were OK.....and for a while there was a "price match" to anyone in the area....got a pair or the Rem 870 3-1/2 Mag when they came out...match a local MP store that only had one.....I wanted 2.....one for me, one for a SIL that was whining that his gun wasn't good as mine....LOL

On BIG SALE week....
    Found a drilling (3 barrels)... 16 ga DB side by side with an odd .30 caliber below and inbetween.
    Tag said.......$2100 bucks....price slashed by 0% ....new sale price $2100 bucks...?????
    Asked the guy about it he said...."I just work here..."
    Did buy a M44 Nagant for $89 bucks about 6 years ago.....

So it's kinda sad......as it was about the only store around that kept a decent inventory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gander_Mountain

Looks like the one near me has survived the cut. I've got to say that the cots and zero gravity recliners that I bought there (Gander Mountain brands) along with some of the other items that were Gander Mountain brand have served me very well. They are well built and I have been extremely pleased with them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I definitely looked for those to be marked down. Your recliners are cushy.

Expected some to close, Bass Pro bight Cabelas couple months ago
    Semper Paratus

I just got BassPro's Summer Shooting catalog.

Damn enablers...

Well.....Made a trip this afternoon.....prices are 15- to 50% off....
    The parking lot was full.....shelves emptying out.

Checking Handi Rifles had a few left....
    2-.243's,
    2- .233's
    1 -7 mm -08

3 -.444 Marlin, w/scope and camo stock.....

Couple of 20ga shots guns and one 12 ga slug gun....

Now they have 2 of the .444 Marlins....$65 buck of the list price.........
    Checking another one off my list.

Guy doing my paperwork was talking that, Yes... they are closing....but will re-open under a different name.....Gander Outdoors in August.

They are supposed to be back in the hunting, fishing, shooting business and cutting back on Yoga pants and $400 buck ball bats.

We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax
    Your recliners are cushy.

Well, yeah. He was sitting in it at the time.

Was that his pistol in his pocket or...

Nope. Nope, Nope.....Na-gana-daait

All of them are closing! They filed chapter 11 back in march. Even with the up to 40% off its still cheaper at academy!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Not that I'm all that knowledgeable, but I've never been impressed with Gander Mountain. Prices seemed way higher than other sporting goods stores. I think I've only made two purchases there: a couple of boxes of 12 gauge 00 buck shells, and a can of Ballistol. The only reason I bought the Ballistol was I got $10 off by signing up for a credit card that I don't plan to ever use again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Not that I'm all that knowledgeable, but I've never been impressed with Gander Mountain. Prices seemed way higher than other sporting goods stores. I think I've only made two purchases there: a couple of boxes of 12 gauge 00 buck shells, and a can of Ballistol. The only reason I bought the Ballistol was I got $10 off by signing up for a credit card that I don't plan to ever use again.
    Don't worry about the credit card...they won't honor some of the "store cards" anyway.
    Was a notice posted at the check out, Sunday.