Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Real Friend Will Help You Move a

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default A Real Friend Will Help You Move a

A real friend will help you move a floor model drill press out of the living room and into the new shop!

If there had been a woman around this place it would have been gone long ago.

Or it would never have been unloaded and set up in the living room to start with!

It was nice to be able to watch TV while milling and drilling, but the time has come, the shed is built, AC is installed out there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

....And here I thought you were gonna say....Hide the body....LOL

Neighbor next door, many years ago had 2 boys 16 and 18 both were HS wrestlers..and worked out with a bunch of friends.

So a "I bet you guys $20 bucks you can't get the old antique refrigerator.....out of the basement and to the curb....."

I lost the bet.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I sneak tools into the living room when Kelly's shopping. I have the gun cleaning table conversion to the clothes folding table down pat. Less than a minute and I'm clear. I got caught doing bicycle maintenance in the house the other day. That spot of Gorilla glue on the hardwood floors awaits her discovery. I set stuff on it. But it's only a matter of time. Building rondy chairs should be allowed... Even my MIL got into the act (she's not really like that) when she dropped something by and noticed my projects for the day. "What are ALL those axes doing by your chair?". There were pnly three. Jeez.

hee hee. she's going shopping in Orlando with her sister today. that's a good long day.

Yep. Thought by the title we might be headed toward the three S's....shoot, shovel and shut-up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Y'all need a basement...work space, power tools safes, loading stuff, perp storage..fridge, TV, Karaoke machine....bathroom ...
    On my end.

Did get busted cleaning the Ruger Blackhawk AND the Ruger Single Six...at the same time,... on the coffee table during a football game.
    She came home from shopping early.
    " I didn't know you had TWO of those.....How long have you had them?"

"Honest honey ...I have had them a long time...."

(I just didn't clean them side by side.....and the look kinda alike)

There was a time a few years back when the local club got into shooting cheap .22 rifles.

Rules were that you could do any safe modifications to the .22 but it had to have a 4 pound trigger, work safely and if you won the match anyone shooting that day could buy your rifle for $75 or some such low-ball price. It meant that no one was going to dump hundreds of dollars into a rife that they might see walk away if you wanted to keep match points.

Of course the best way to find the most accurate rifle was to shoot lots of different brands of good ammo through several different cheap rifles and start with the most accurate combination. You also needed a couple of good candidates on the workbench in case someone took your winning rifle home with them.

It sent me cruising the flea markets and yard sales for a couple of summers, and I discovered that if you covered every cheap gun you bought with flat black Walmart spray paint it kept the question and answer sessions to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    There was a time a few years back when the local club got into shooting cheap .22 rifles.

Rules were that you could do any safe modifications to the .22 but it had to have a 4 pound trigger, work safely and if you won the match anyone shooting that day could buy your rifle for $75 or some such low-ball price. It meant that no one was going to dump hundreds of dollars into a rife that they might see walk away if you wanted to keep match points.

Of course the best way to find the most accurate rifle was to shoot lots of different brands of good ammo through several different cheap rifles and start with the most accurate combination. You also needed a couple of good candidates on the workbench in case someone took your winning rifle home with them.

It sent me cruising the flea markets and yard sales for a couple of summers, and I discovered that if you covered every cheap gun you bought with flat black Walmart spray paint it kept the question and answer sessions to a minimum.
    LOL....Good idea......Sounds like fun....

We had "Claim Hobby Stock' cars at the stock car races.....
    Same deal....if you won a lot your car went home with someone else,... for the $100 buck claim.....
    Was a hoot....

We have the same deal at the local 1/2 mile dirt track but they have upped the anti to $1500 because there is no such thing as a $100 junk car any more. Scrap value on almost everything is now $200 and you can get $1000 for about anything that will run in my area.

In the cheap gun category I discovered that the most accurate old cheap rifles were the tube fed Springfield semi-auto rifles sold by Walmart 25-30 years back for $39.95. The barrels were good and you could epoxy bed the action and first few inches of the barrel up to the screw that held the stock/action together.

I got a couple of them down to less than MOA, which at 25 yards is a 1/4" group. Of course I was not shooting "milk carton bulk" ammo and on at least one occasion the two boxes of Midas match ammo I took to the match were worth more than the gun!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Before the state allowed slots at the 3 horse tracks in Delaware you could claim a standardbred race horse for $700. Now with higher purses and more exclusive racing conditions, the lowest claimers are around $10K.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Used to bring my Harley Fatboy in the living room every winter
    Semper Paratus

Not room for me and another fatboy!

Soooo.......Did ya get it moved?

Nope! Still in the living room.

I will have to move it myself, which means I will have to tear it down to parts; machine head, column, pedestal, and floor-plate along with the 50 pound milling vice, and move it one part at a time, then put it back together in the shop.

At least when you have a back problem you accumulate a lot of gear handling equipment. I have the dolly, wheelbarrow and cart for the lawn tractor. I just have to do it all in a manner that will not put me out of commission due to stupidity.

Gotcha......
    I going to invent a lanyard to wear around my neck for my garden rake....so when I need to use the shovel....that dam rake doesn't fall over and I have to BEND over to pick it back up.

This getting old isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrat
    I just have to do it all in a manner that will not put me out of commission due to stupidity.

Oh, man. We'll all doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Gotcha......
    I going to invent a lanyard to wear around my neck for my garden rake....so when I need to use the shovel....that dam rake doesn't fall over and I have to BEND over to pick it back up.

This getting old isn't fun.

Big storm a few weeks back and I went and bought one of these pickup tools so I could clear the lawn of brush and twigs. I am good for about two trips down and up before I call it quits and head for the recliner.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-rea...ool-62752.html

LOL....I have a few......basement, garage....and truck.....
    Truck version extends so I can reach into the box, without having to get in, on my knees, to retrieve or put stuff in.
    They are a heck of an idea

Me, three. Those are handier than a drop seat in a union suit.

I sold my big drill press....was in the garage......has only using it rarely since I quit fooling with race cars.....

Currently use this little HF unit on a portable stand.......basement work station...
    Drill press, bench grinder, small belt sander, and jig saw....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

90% of my drilling is done on a small HF press like yours. I bought the big bad-boy press to mount the cross slide vise to mill out the polymer AR lowers. It is good for the other upscale drilling I do too.

When I bought it it was middle of the winter a year ago so I set it up inside where it was warm. I set it up with a vacuum so I would not swamp the living room with plastic waste. After a hear and 1/2 I am about tired of looking at it here in the LR, especially when I have a new shop I specifically built to house the big power tools.

Such is life. I will get it done eventually.