Thread: Stolen idea, maybe? ...had to laugh LOL

Default Stolen idea, maybe? ...had to laugh LOL

I don't know of any one has had this happen......come up with an idea, build it use it pass along the info...only to have it show up for sale years later...
    Or maybe all great minds think alike.....Naw.....LOL

Yeah I know...there are a lot of versions out there now....Back when ...not so much.

Any way came up with a vice mount for back when I was doing plumbing work at the "Place".....

This is the pic's I submitted to Mother Earth News back when...and was published...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Article from MEN 2007

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...e-zmaz07amzsel

Sooo.... Imagine my surprise when I opened the newest catalog from Sportsman Guide (my Bible for cheap outdoor gear LOL)

Found this....
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...vise?a=2130266

Hummmm....
    Anyway MEN paid $300 bucks for the idea...
    Was published in HandyMan Magazine as well...I think it's Family Handyman now....
    But because it had already been published....they would pay any money....and they were snotty about it as they weren't "exclusive"......
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-06-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

that's interesting I have one I made years ago. I added a riser to mine so the vise was up about counter height, like a L.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Like I said....Great minds....
    I looked Google images for trailer hitch vice mounts....and there were LOT of them.

We had one on the back of the plumbing service and install truck...was a slide out to use....
    pipe vice on one side, jaw vice on the other

So I actually Borrowed the idea, myself.

Sure is handy away from the shop....

I usually have had step bumpers on all of my work trucks. 17' to 20' flatbed boom trucks. I had a manual angle iron cutter/ punch on one side of the bumper and a large combo vise on the other side. We have 21 trucks where I work now and not one has a vise or an angle iron cutter on it.

But, I think the hitch mounted vise is a good idea.

The reason the trucks no longer have the angle iron cutter/ punch is that we use Unistrut now. So, over the years the new guys never really used the cutter or punch anymore. If I had to cut a bunch of steel angle in the field these days, I would take a dry saw. Every manufacture makes one now and between $250 and $350 you get a powerful multi-use tool.

Oh I sure they have been around for as long as bumpers and work that needed a vice........

I just had to laugh as this project was "I need something that will do something, or several things ..Now....and don't want to spend a lot of money.
    Discussing this with a friend, that I occasionally helped out....he taught a welding class.....we found the material, and he had a srudent weld it up.
    All this time I was thinking I had invented something cool and useful.....so turned it in to MEN as a possible "Tip for a Homesteader"

Had I known at the time that these were commonly available....I still like the idea of having one made for free..then add the price of the vice.
    .....and the cash MEN paid.
    Is a handy tool when needed....and the extension being straight..... stacks in the corner behind the door at the shed....where as a" step up" version would be harder to store.

And I still laugh the laugh at being able to say, "Man, I wish I had patented it,... I would be retired right now"...Oh wait,... I am retired..??

For nearly 50 years I've been using some old concrete reinforcing "high chairs" as tomato stakes. The same ones. For 50 years. Rusty but functional.
    Imagine my surprise to find them as a Patent Pending exclusive in Gardeners catalog. 3 for $40!!! LOL!
    http://www.gardeners.com/buy/green-tomato-ladders-set-of-3/38-184.html?utm_campaign=PLA&utm_medium=googleshoppin g&utm_source=google&SC=XNET9614&gclid=CP2jwOG9kdQC Fc9MDQodErwFfw&kwid=productads-adid^92861478158-device^c-plaid^115026867638-sku^38@ADL4184-adType^PLA
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    For nearly 50 years I've been using some old concrete reinforcing "high chairs" as tomato stakes. The same ones. For 50 years. Rusty but functional.
    Imagine my surprise to find them as a Patent Pending exclusive in Gardeners catalog. 3 for $40!!! LOL!
    http://www.gardeners.com/buy/green-tomato-ladders-set-of-3/38-184.html?utm_campaign=PLA&utm_medium=googleshoppin g&utm_source=google&SC=XNET9614&gclid=CP2jwOG9kdQC Fc9MDQodErwFfw&kwid=productads-adid^92861478158-device^c-plaid^115026867638-sku^38@ADL4184-adType^PLA
    LOL...Cool.....I hear ya....
    That was kinda my reaction as well......

BTW my other "invention" that was published had to do with Tomato cages as well.....

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...y-tomato-cages

"I thought of those first! But, they already had'em."

Virtual cookie to the one who can place that quote. No Googling either.

Is he the same guy that lives on a one way dead end street?.........

Was it this guy?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Steven_Wright

First I thought it was was Jack Handey
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jack_Handey

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
    Deep Thoughts (1992)
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-29-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Steven_Wright

First I thought it was was Jack Handey
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jack_Handey

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
    Deep Thoughts (1992)
    Actually, it does sound like something Steven Wright would say, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

To be honest, it probably isn't an EXACT quote anyway.

Michael Keaton in "Night Shift".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Actually, it does sound like something Steven Wright would say, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

To be honest, it probably isn't an EXACT quote anyway.

Michael Keaton in "Night Shift".
    LOL
    I do recall the feeding fish mayo ..so you didn't need to add it on fish sandwiches.......
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-31-2017 at 05:48 PM.