Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: traps

Wink traps

hello evryone i was wondering what the best trap for a rabbit is i tride a lot of deadfall's but thay dont work can enyone tell me please thank you
    im born a hunter four life no one can change that

Greetings Hunter,

I have found that the best way to catch the black naped hare (which is the only member of the rabbit/hare family here) is with a snare. Look for runs, burrows etc and position your snare on the run or at the mouth of a burrow. You can use wire or natural cordage. Long years ago I used to tie the snare to a dead branch that was not anchored in any way and was light enough for the hare to pull a little distance while the noose settled well around his neck. tie the snare to the tip (as opposed to the base) of the branch so that the other branchlets act as hooks and anchors. eventually the branch would get entangled in the brush.This is only good in thick brush. in open areas you need to stake the snare down. This technique is also very successful with land monitors. Hope this is of help.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Hunter - Go to this forum's homepage.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

Scroll down and click on number 8: Food Procurement. Then click on Traps and Snares in the article. There are a lot of pictures in the article and it should answer any question you have. If not, let us know.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-20-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Snares work well. Set them along the rabbit's runs
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Snare, like Trax said for rabbits. They have kept me fed with protein on the trail for extended days, you need to also carry/get "fats" to offset the leaness though.
    To thyne self be true

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I can make a box trap out of almost anything. They work directing the rabbit, placing in hole just about anywhere. Don't get the idea you need boards, nails etc. Use them combined with snares also. Both have been productive for me, also will catch other animals. Just remember to check them often. Some box traps will be a little flimsy depending on materials and you don't want to lose your dinner to another hungry animal. Figure 4 is an easy trap to make but not very productive. IMO most deadfalls aren't. You can even drive sticks in the ground and cover the top with bark, rocks etc. The front hinge of the trap can be made of bark, twigs laced together, just anything to make a one way swinging door.

Yes, they work well but remember your local fish and game laws or your next question may be how to best bust out of jail!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Some states require your snares to be tagged. also there maybe some restrictions on how close to the hole they may be set. Unless you are in a true survival situation, I would follow these laws, otherwise....What was posted above.
    Elk dont know how many legs a horse got

thank you all but im not shure if there is a law in the uk about the snares i will ask the hunting shop next week end because im getting more snare's and pellet's

thank you all and a merry x-mass to all

Thanks, hunter. It's Christmas where I come from and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thank's i hope you got what you wanted haha iv got a 4 day wate until x-mass

sorry i did not put this in my last post are brass snares better

hunter,we have a 4 day wait til Christmas here too.Merry Christmas.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

haha its a very painfull wate ha merry x-mass to you

Hunter - Try this thread. It has some information on types of snares:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1131

haha thanks it is a larth as well haha merry x-mass

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

When I said box traps & snares I thought we were flat out talking about survival not pretend. I don't catch or kill anything I don't eat and I have used these methods when I was a kid when we ate what we caught. I myself don't kill for the "fun" of killing, done enough not to enjoy it, but will if necessary.

Hunter... have you seen this site youtub http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7dtYYdKS&feature=related[/url] will that didn't work so AZ of Bushcraft ( T for Trap) how to catch a rabbit
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

thanks mate i was watching it realy intresting an i do have permisson as well he wants the rabbits off the caravan sight so i shoot them and snare about 3 or 5 a day so i can eat them up haha i kill the mixeys i feel sorry for them poor sods so i put them out off there mizzery thanks merry x-mass