Thread: Cub scout alternatives?

Default Cub scout alternatives?

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the cub scouts? We got burned this year with them, but my son enjoyed the premise of the program. I'd like to find something similar for him. Thanks.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You might consider another troop if that is an option.

There are several faith based alternatives to BSA. The KOC host the Columbian Squires, the Calvanists host the Cadet Corps. A group called the Pathfinders is hosted by Seventh Day Adventists and there is the Assembly of God's Royal Rangers. I have not dealt with any of them so I can't give you any information good or bad.

Camp Fire is not faith based. It used to be called Camp Fire Girls but it's open to both sexes and you can check out the Baden-Powell Service Organization. Most of these groups are offshoots off of BSA brought about by disagreements on discrimination. So if that is a concern to you then these groups might not be for you.

A lot of the Evangelical churches pulled out of BSA a year or two ago and made their own program. I don't know what it is called. You might want to check with a local church to find out.

There is the YMCA, but I have no idea on their program and whether it is similar or not.

Going with what Rick was saying... Every pack is different. You might want to just try another one, if it was the adults running it that turned you sour.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I do a few classes for a church that holds a men's day weekend they are a long the same line but only have a class or two a month.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've heard of a group in Arkansas called the Trail Men. I think it's an organization, not just a one-off from a church.

Thanks guys. We paid fees and purchased books/uniforms which covered us for 15 months. 4 months into the program, the pack leader and his son (the son was supposed to be our den leader) decided to abruptly end our age group and cease all communication. Myself and other parents have reached out to the council with no outcome at all. They basically took are money and ran.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to start looking into them since I am not familiar with any of them.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Nate you need to contact the Daniel Beard Council and report this.

It is a local phone call, the office is over on Reading Road in Cinci.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Call the BSA Headquarters and lodge a complaint. 972-580-2000. That's on the local troop, not on BSA. Find another troop. Or email them at myscouting@scouting.org

Royal Rangers is the only alternative I'm familiar with. I was in it briefly when just a little guy. When a troop started up in my community I decided to get involved. The program is very similar to boy scouts with the addition of Bible study and church attendance (kind of what BSA used to do). I was asked to teach knife throwing and the boys did a great job, and all of them won their merits.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Thanks guys. We paid fees and purchased books/uniforms which covered us for 15 months. 4 months into the program, the pack leader and his son (the son was supposed to be our den leader) decided to abruptly end our age group and cease all communication.
    I came up thru cubs and BSA, Explorers a long time ago,... what do you mean by end our age group? My Den was several ages, OK only 3 ages since Cubs back then was 8-till 11, what is it now? My Den Mother was a hottie, thanks Mrs. Z...

Rancher

I was a district committee member for a few years. Unfortunately now, the Scouts have changed. Leaders have way to much discretion to do inappropriate things for their own convenience. They have such a hard time getting leaders in some areas, it seems, they'll take anything. They break agreement and don't exemplify the Scouting ideals. The organization has shifted its interests to making money instead of providing fun learning experiences for boys. Often now, if a kid doesn't have a financially secure daddy, they don't get to do anything. Despite the horror stories I could tell you, most of the Scouts I knew grew into great people - solid citizens. So I still believe there's value to Scouting. They certainly are exposed to "real life".
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

We are very lucky to have a vibrant scout group at our church. Quite large. They have one scout master and five assist. scout masters and twice that many moms that are involved. The have their own van and trailer and are out and gone most week-ends. Pretty lucky.

Scouting has always been a great activity for young boys to be involved with. There have always been Troops and Dens that have been great along with those that have been lacking. If you find that what is available to you is lacking, make it better. Be part of the solution. You will find it very rewarding.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I alway considered scouting a fun and positive experience.

Was in Cub Scouts......and did get to First Class as a Boy Scout....Then ran out of time...job, school and activities with friends (cars,girls, ...and camping in more advanced methods).
    In my life, several sets of guides have been important to me....10 commandments, The Pledge of Allegiance, BSA Code.... are at, or near the top.

Scouting does instill many of these values....
    Hope you can figure it out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Would you believe I can still fit in my cub scout uniform? Well, the neckerchief. But it is kinda snug.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Would you believe I can still fit in my cub scout uniform? Well, the neckerchief. But it is kinda snug.
    I don't think blowing your nose in it counts.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Was that from you or the mule? 'Cause if it was from the mule.......

Glad to see you back. Where you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Was that from you or the mule? 'Cause if it was from the mule.......

Glad to see you back. Where you been?
    Oh, you know......just getting old and forgetful. I forget to do things, like check in on you guys. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"