Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlatl

I don't get mad easy but when I do I scary my self.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

There used to be a man (now deceased) from Clay Township, south of Port Huron, Michigan, who made and sold atlatals. He would always be at archery events and shows. I bought one from him and it was fun to fool around with but I never became good enough to hunt with it. I remember that he had a huge target with a wooly mammoth painted on it. From beyond 20 yards, I was lucky to even hit the animal, let alone in a vital area. I eventually gave it to my cousins son to play with.
    Geezer Squad #2

And now there are no woolly mammoths. I guess he got pretty good with it.

Love the Atlatl easy to make one but more difficult to get skilled with while bows are harder to make easier to learn I like both a lot though.

I did this weird thing once (I mean 'weird' because I think it takes too much skill to be practical so one might as well use a sling shot or bow) where I practiced at using a light pipe, like a metal shower curtain rod, and a pinball that I'd load into a hole towards my 'handle' end with something inside that'd keep it from falling further (towards my hand-end) until 'firing'...and would swing it to 'fire' the ball out the other end. The hard part is controlling when it's going to come out so you can aim it...how hard/fast you swing, how long your swing-arc, etc. But what interested me is how much kinetic energy that you can otherwise impart upon the little pinball. I practiced until I got pretty darned good...maybe within a 2-foot target circle from almost 80 feet (??), and going through a (although thin, 1/4 inch or less) piece of plywood. But although you get a lot of force, it seems too hard to get good enough with accuracy to do any good compared to aforementioned items. I wanted to practice with some kind of arrow-bolt inside the pipe instead (would need lots of fletching) but never did.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward