Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old gas.......

Default Old gas.......

After doing the annual start up of multi gas fired machines........and struggling with old gas.
    Have decided to dump the old and start fresh....
    5 years ago...thus would not have been a question.....
    Have a pull behind mower that I have not run in 6-7 years...but I'll bet it will start with a couple of pulls.
    Still think the carbs as well as the gas are serious messed up...no adjustment a=or bowl clean out.....To protect us...(right)

This includes straight gas and various mixes 32 to1, 50 to 1....
    Some was treated some not ..Stable (don't like it)...and SeaFoam....some maybe 5 years old?
    Maybe 10 gal total.

The obvious answer is "dump into vehicles and run it out"....
    Well,... smelling some of it...not sure I want to go thru the hassle.

Some may suggest ...dump out a burn off....?
    Aaaayyy...Don't know....some here may be aware of my having the VFD on speed dial.

Think I will contact the FD and ask for suggestions.

Seems the days of a 250 gal tank in the yard is over....the stuff goes bad too fast.

Anyone wants it....meet me at the shed.
    I'll even give ya the cans.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Remove old fuel put in fresh fuel prime carb with fuel give it a go, I use old gas on weeds or poor in fire pit. Always drain fuel from equipment and run till they quit that way carb is dry never had anything not start following that procedure.
    Semper Paratus

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, any left over gas at the beginning of spring gets put into the weed sprayer these days. If it is very old it will not even kill the weeds.

It is just not worth the hassle of dealing with it. I even let them run dry in the fall if I remember to do so and leave the tanks empty through the winter.

Fact is, I took some of Natertot's advice and started using the mid-grade gas in my lawn equipment. The mower gets better gas than my car.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hear ya hunter. I don't keep stuff over the winter. Dump the cans into my car after all small equipment is done for the season. All fresh stuff in the spring. As kyratshooter mentioned, I use mid grade fuel for small equipment. I've noticed my small engines run smoother and consistent with it. Easier start ups, too. But yeah, my cars don't even get that nice of gas.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm not generally a tin foil hat, big brother kinda guy....
    BUT
    Does seems to me that by making fuel the degrades quickly and really can't be stored long term......by using additives that are supposed to "protect us".....does give you pause....when the "Pohlen" chainsaw means pullin' and pullin' and pullin'.
    Big Brother is messing with the people.

Either we just have good gas here, or I'm just lucky! I use gas stored over the winter every spring and my stuff runs fine. Maybe living within 10 miles of 2 refineries have something to do with it. None of the gas pumps around here say ethanol! I do put Seafoam and Stabil in every fuel tank and spare gas containers in the fall right before winter hits. I have started using mid grade fuel this year as well just to see if it makes any difference!
    One thing I do is to make sure that all of my gas cans are sealed as well as possible, I think that helps! Most winters I try to use some of the stored gas and replace it with fresh but I was lazy the last 2 winters. But honestly the over the winter gas has burned great in my equipment for the last 2 years!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 05-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

I use stabil as well. I have never had any problems.

Well,..... maybe the "Cloud of geezerhood" has settled on me.....

You know when everything seems harder to do, takes longer, ...stuff doesn't start...can't find the keys, set something down...knock over 6 other things...and you catch your sleeve on everything.

I never had this many problems with such good equipment as I have lately all the old equipment ran for years, never gas additives or old gas ......Donno....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well,..... maybe the "Cloud of geezerhood" has settled on me.....

You know when everything seems harder to do, takes longer, ...stuff doesn't start...can't find the keys, set something down...knock over 6 other things...and you catch your sleeve on everything.

I never had this many problems with such good equipment as I have lately all the old equipment ran for years, never gas additives or old gas ......Donno....
    Hunter it is probably the ethanol in your gas! That stuff eats rubber, holds moisture, corrodes aluminum, and is generally not good for equipment. See if you can find gas that doesn't have ethanol in it! Oh there is the blue marine stabil that is just for marine fuel with an anti ethanol additive. If all of your fuel has ethanol, try that.
    I honestly don't think Geezerhood is the problem this time......LOL
    This Stabil actually coats the entire fuel system with a coat of lubricant that keeps the tank from rusting, and protects all of the fuel components from corrosion. Just because it is for boats, doesn't mean that you can't use it in everything. I use this in my boat, lawnmowers, weed eaters, and in my storage gas cans. This is probably why I don't have problems in the spring like some other old Geezer I know!!

Try this: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine
    Last edited by Wildthang; 05-24-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    Hoe of WSF

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Hunter it is probably the ethanol in your gas! Yes, some of it....in the city
    That stuff eats rubber, holds moisture, corrodes aluminum, and is generally not good for equipment. Yeah no ship....
    See if you can find gas that doesn't have ethanol in it! Local gas station in SW Wisconsin does have straight gas...and I do use it.

Oh there is the blue marine stabil that is just for marine fuel with an anti ethanol additive. If all of your fuel has ethanol, try that.
    Have tried the pink Stabil...I do not like it....Maybe blue is better?

I honestly don't think Geezerhood is the problem this time......LOL
    Not sure about that

This Stabil actually coats the entire fuel system with a coat of lubricant that keeps the tank from rusting, and protects all of the fuel components from corrosion. Just because it is for boats, doesn't mean that you can't use it in everything. I use this in my boat, lawnmowers, weed eaters, and in my storage gas cans. This is probably why I don't have problems in the spring like some other old Geezer I know!!
    Have stone stuff for the Mercury Outboard....for dealer...works in the boat....but not for a year or so...

Try this: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine
    OK

I still am beginning to think it's is conspiracy ....secret attack on Geezers.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was just on of the F.A.R.T.S. well.....farting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK

I still am beginning to think it's is conspiracy ....secret attack on Geezers.
    Yes it is a conspiracy! The gas station owners commission, and former president Obama has a secret pact that states:

It is our new policy to sell old water laden low octane fuel to old people. It is for the greater good because when their equipment wont start, or it's performance is sub par, they are the one's that have time to fix the problem. Most of them don't work, and are not raising families, so they will have time to drain their tanks, clean their carburetors, with time left to gripe about it on their favorite forum. This procedure was approved by President Obama over 2 years ago and was at that time, considered top secret.
    This little know law, enacted by executive order is known as the Geezer Fuel Act! And the old fuel is known as Geezer Gas!
    It is saving America millions in waste disposal of inferior gasoline, and most Geezers still to this day are unaware of this law. We now believe that this is the only law Obama passed that actually saves money
    Hoe of WSF

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yes it is a conspiracy! The gas station owners commission, and former president Obama has a secret pact that states:

It is our new policy to sell old water laden low octane fuel to old people. It is for the greater good because when their equipment wont start, or it's performance is sub par, they are the one's that have time to fix the problem. Most of them don't work, and are not raising families, so they will have time to drain their tanks, clean their carburetors, with time left to gripe about it on their favorite forum. This procedure was approved by President Obama over 2 years ago and was at that time, considered top secret.
    This little know law, enacted by executive order is known as the Geezer Fuel Act! And the old fuel is known as Geezer Gas!
    It is saving America millions in waste disposal of inferior gasoline, and most Geezers still to this day are unaware of this law. We now believe that this is the only law Obama passed that actually saves money
    Well, There it is.....I knew, I just knew it.... something was going on...sneaky bass tards ........

Well, There it is.....I knew, I just knew it.... something was going on...sneaky bass tards ........
    LOL, they can never fool you Hunter!!!!
    Hoe of WSF

I'm not generally a tin foil hat, big brother kinda guy....
    BUT
    Does seems to me that by making fuel the degrades quickly and really can't be stored long term......by using additives that are supposed to "protect us".....does give you pause....when the "Pohlen" chainsaw means pullin' and pullin' and pullin'.
    Big Brother is messing with the people.
    I won't disagree that BB is messin' with us, but gasoline IS unstable and begins to degrade in around 30 days, even 100% gasoline without ethanol.

As Wildthang said, ethanol causes problems on it's own. Those problems are there regardless of whether the gasoline is breaking down or not. If you are going to store gasoline for any length of time, stabilizer is a must. I've not noticed a problem with Stab-il, but then, I wasn't looking for one. I don't try to store gasoline for a year either. I don't get enough at a time to have it last that long anyway.

Pullin' and pullin' and pullin' IS BB messing with you. I used to get more of a workout trying to get my cheapie chainsaw or weed-whacker started than if I would've just done the work by hand.

You probably already know this, but here it is anyway. 2-stroke engines are set to run lean to make less air emissions. Most of the reduction in emissions, in my not-so-humble opinion, is due to the fact that you can't get them started again after running them for a while because they run so hot. Using a Dremel, I ground slots in the top of all my jet adjustments so I can adjust them with a screwdriver. BB probably requires the jets to need special tools for adjustment. Enrich the High jet a little and the problem goes away.
    Last edited by JohnLeePettimore; 05-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.

I agree johnlee. That is why all my stuff is four stoke, including my weed eater.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was just on of the F.A.R.T.S. well.....farting.
    11 posts before someone went for it. Geez. You guys are slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I was just being nice. I read the title and was wonder if we were going to be talking about Rick or Kyrat......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    I won't disagree that BB is messin' with us, but gasoline IS unstable and begins to degrade in around 30 days, even 100% gasoline without ethanol.

As Wildthang said, ethanol causes problems on it's own. Those problems are there regardless of whether the gasoline is breaking down or not. If you are going to store gasoline for any length of time, stabilizer is a must. I've not noticed a problem with Stab-il, but then, I wasn't looking for one. I don't try to store gasoline for a year either. I don't get enough at a time to have it last that long anyway.

Pullin' and pullin' and pullin' IS BB messing with you. I used to get more of a workout trying to get my cheapie chainsaw or weed-whacker started than if I would've just done the work by hand.

You probably already know this, but here it is anyway. 2-stroke engines are set to run lean to make less air emissions. Most of the reduction in emissions, in my not-so-humble opinion, is due to the fact that you can't get them started again after running them for a while because they run so hot. Using a Dremel, I ground slots in the top of all my jet adjustments so I can adjust them with a screwdriver. BB probably requires the jets to need special tools for adjustment. Enrich the High jet a little and the problem goes away.
    Yeah no ship....
    It is easier to bytich and complain about it than to do something about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I agree johnlee. That is why all my stuff is four stroke, including my weed eater.
    My new weed eater is... Tyler, about 17 and does a good job....
    Not sure on "strokes" but you know,... at that age.......?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Sad is't it?

Who's big brother? My big brother? If it is he's in for a noogie.