Thread: Checking in

Default Checking in

Hey everyone,

Been a little while since I've been on here. Work life has become more busy and I'm preparing for another stint of college in the fall.

I have been doing a bit more outdoors as well. Did an overnighter on the coldest night of the year. Got down to -5F and I used a canvas tent with wood stove. First time ever and I really learned a few things there.

In January, I did a canoe trip in Indiana. First time doing water borne activities in the winter and the first time I solely used a tarp for shelter for a trip. Definitely got hooked on tarps.

Last March I did a stint at Red River Gorge. Continued to use nothing but a tarp for shelter. I also used a rigged gravity filter for water. I had a Sawyer Mini that I placed on an extra 2L bladder. I would fill up the blader, hang it on a tree limb, and let gravity work for me. Really hooked on this set up for water. Not bad for 1-2 people, but recommend something more efficient if you have more than three people. Enjoyed the natural arch at RRG and the streams were beautiful.

A few weeks ago I did the triple crown loop in VA. That was by far the hardest hike I've ever done, but still completed the 37 miles in 67 hours. Dragon's Tooth and Tinker Cliffs were beautiful, but McAfee Knob was astounding. By far the best scenic view I've had in the US. This trip was the first time I hammock camped. I love hammocks now. It was great waking up without sore spots and not having to contend with uneven ground. It took a little getting used too and the biggest draw back to them is the convection from airflow. Not bad, just something to bear in mind.

Lots of lessons learned. Great experiences though and goid time with some buddies. Biggest thing is to keep trying different things. May find better solutions than what you've been doing. Looking forward to getting out a little more soon.

Time to get caught up on the forum now!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Sounds like you have been busy. Welcome back.

There is a lot to be said for "doing it...rather than talking about it".....Kudos
    Pic's would be nice.
    Welcome back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good to hear from you Nater!! Don't wait so long next time!!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Sounds awesome,
    I too enjoy hammock camping, just yeah that airflow convection is not great on cold winter nights..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Thanks for the warm welcome back. I'll try to get some pics posted, but right now I'm out of a computer. Screen on laptop just went out. I'll see what I can do though.

I agree hunter. I have been out and doing, but the last six months I have been trying lots of different ways that I hadn't done before. Makes a big difference when you are doing something you've always done, but in a way you've never done it. Kinda like writing with your opposite hand, lol.

I couldn't imagine hammock in the winter. My nights got down to mid fifties and I was using a 50 degree bag. I wasn't miserable, but I was uncomfortably cool. I think going for a slightly warmer bag than I'd typically use for the temps given will be the key.

I think maybe using one of those camping foam pads or maybe those small inflatable air mats underneath might work.
    But yeah after spending a night in it last friday with just a sleeping bag, it was horrific cold....
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Yes, using a sleeping pad inside your hammock and under your sleeping bag will insulate quite well. When it gets really cold, using an under quilt (on the outside of your hammock) makes it quite comfortable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always though the hammocks was kinda a "bear pinata"......unless it was on your porch....LOL
    Maybe some day.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good to know on the sleep pad. I will have to try that next time.

Bear pinata, lol, Hunter.