Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot sight review

Tool & Die Maker

Default Red Dot sight review

A week or so ago I purchase 3 different red dot sights off amazon.com. A Barska, Truglo, and an Ohuhu. The Barska and Truglo were purchased used and the Ohuhu was new. I paid $50 for all three sights. The Barska was only $11. The Barska and the Truglo must be fairly old. They only have the red dot and it is red in both cases, no green dot that I know of.

Below is the Barska. Appears to be all metal construction. Nice looking unit. However, I left it turned ON overnight and that drained the 2032 battery. It is mounted on my new .300 Blackout AR-15.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Barska seemed to be just fine but when I reduced the dot intensity the dot position shifted way left. I also removed my prescription glasses, that could have change things, time will tell. I also learned not to view a red dot sight with reading glasses, makes the red dot really look weird.

The Truglo is also old, only has the dot and it is red only, no green. However the TruGlo has the flip up lens covers and the caps over the adjustment screw are attached to reduce loss. Once the Truglo was zeroed it seems to hold position. Seems to be a nice unit and for the roughly $20 I paid for it, I can't complain. Looks good on my AR-15, .223 cal.

Next is the Ohuhu. The name is misleading because this red dot sight is sold under at least 6 different names. It received excellent reviews even with 2300 of them sold at Amazon. I mounted this sight to my Ruger mark III. I was able to find a scope mount to take advantage of the pre-drilled screw holes in the receiver. Made installation a snap.

I think it looks cool mounted to the Ruger. The Ohuhu has 4 different shapes in both red and green. I'm rather fond of the green. Sighting in adjustments are done with a 3mm allen wrench. The unit seems sturdy and once zeroed in held the settings.

The only problem was the mounting screws to the receiver loosened after about 50 22LR rounds. My fault for not soaking the screws with lock tight green. So I did that over again.

Of the 3 red dot sights my favorite is the Ohuhu. It appears sturdy and performs well. The Ohuhu will be ideal for hog hunting in low light conditions because there is no tube to look through when aiming.

Hard to believe I have not fired a rifle for over 50 years. Amazing all the gadgets available out there. The red dot sights improved my shooting with my old eyes. The iron sights always seem blurred but the red dot sights, both the sight and the target are crystal clear. Diming down the dot also improved my grouping. All three sights have amazing workmanship and all of them received excellent reviews. Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

It has been almost a year since I bought these three red dot sight and thought I should give a follow up on their performance.

The Barska still works but the power selector switch has become so loose I expect it to just fall off someday soon. It has performed well and holds "0" well. I'm afraid Mounted on an AR-15 may have taken its toll on it but it still works and it made the trip to Florida for wild hog hunting as a backup sight.

The Truglo has been a pretty good sight and it resides on my AR-15 300 Blackout. The Truglo gets used when I go target shooting and it was used on a few hog hunts but got replaced with a Firefield night vision scope. It has held up quite well and still in the same condition since I bought it. The purpose of the Truglo was to have sight that was electronic and visible at night and worked well up to that point but was of no use when the target (the hog) could not be seen in the darkness. I tried to light up the hogs with a laser and a flashlight and both spooked the hogs.

The Ohuhu was mounted on my Rugar Mark III tapered barrel. My thoughts were to try it out on a 22 pistol then move it to an AR-15. The Ohuho is sold under several different names. It seemed like a well made unit but it did not hold "0" well and after a few hundred rounds were fired the little mirror inside the unit came loose. I tried to glue it back in place but I could not get it positioned correctly. I'll probably junk it.

On the plus side I think the red dot sights are great for older shooters. No need to focus the eyes on a front sight and a rear sight just the red dot. The red dot sights pretty much put the older shooters on the same level as the younger guys when shooting. Furthermore, the red dot sights are great in low light or night time conditions. Beware when wearing bi-focals, the reading portion of your glasses makes the red dot look like something else besides a red dot. I didn't pay much for these 3 red dot sights and didn't expect them to last long but they served their purpose. I bought them used on Amazon.com
    Last edited by jim Glass; 05-02-2017 at 04:02 AM.

Really kinda glad you have done us the service of spending your time and money to buy , use and review these units.

Years ago FIL used a original Red Dot site on a deer rifle...but "dot" covered the black on a 100 yd target.
    Took it off and put in on a crossbow...I still have that rig.
    I wasn't impressed for long range shooting.

So was hesitant to spend a lot of bucks as pricing was ALL over the spectrum...as you found.
    $50 buck units right next to $500 buck units....

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...pnGRoCNN_w_wcB

So what's the difference?
    I know you get what you pay for.....So i'm thinking overall quality/workmanship., ability to hold up under recoil, dot size smaller more expensive, battery life ?????

Did purchase a couple low buck units (around $40 bucks from Sportsman Guide...a couple of years ago.
    One unit had "ghosting" dots ......looked like dot with reflection dot.......the other battery ran out over night.

So looking at the kind of hunting I do....deer, duck, pheasant turkey and grouse...and the choice of tools....I just never pursued it.
    Not into tactical much....and haven't taken hogs serious...

I guess I can't wrap my head around hat much better of a site.... for the $450 buck difference.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

The Ohuhu was a real disappointment. It appeared to be a quality unit made of quality materials. Typical of Chinese made products where they look good but they seem to always drop the ball someplace in a product. In this case the mirror was held in place with glue. Seems like we can almost expect glue to fail at some point. It fails over time or in this case the recoil from a very small caliber pistol. Seems like such a waste and the reason I try to repair these things. Sometimes I'm able to rework these products and get hours and hours of service out of them but not this time.

I'll bet JB Weld would have held it.

Or just wrap duct tape around the glass to hold it in place.......wait.......never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, it might take two wraps. Recoil and all.

Gorrilla glue....

Tool & Die Maker

The mirror should have been held in place with a clamping system.
    The mirror is very tiny, 1/8 x 1/4 maybe. To small for my hands. I glued it with 2-part-epoxy then didn't get it positioned correctly.
    Probably be a major job to get the mirror out now. All that for a red dot sight I paid 20 bucks for. If I get bored I may tinker with it
    again.

LOL...I feel the same way.....thing like that just seem to "Mock you" ...and doesn't matter what it costs.

I would never ever let a $20 scope get the best of me. Even if it cost $50 I'd beat that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would never ever let a $20 scope get the best of me. Even if it cost $50 I'd beat that thing.
    Yeah...That's the ticket...arrrrh, arrrrh.......More power!

Tool & Die Maker

I think you guys are trying to provoke me into a second assault on that gun sight. Not going to happen. I have a job in the shop where the payment is earmarked for a Thermo imaging rifle scope, ATN Thor 384. I'm staying focused.

You might turn that thing over to the F.A.R.T. squad. We could get that thing going in, well, I'm not too sure but we would sure plan the heck out of the fix. Implementation is not our strong suit unless it has to do with coffee, bacon or spam. Them it's more elimination.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What do you mean implementation is not our strong point?

We got the FART boat launched for that rescue mission that one time didn't we.

Or was that the time we forgot to put the plug in and sank?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

...with all the guns, and ammo.....

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

You'd have to ask Pal334 about sinking the F.A.R.T. boat. Come to think about it.....he hasn't been around fro quite some time. I wonder if he is out selling hot dogs to bikini clad women from our boat.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll have to give that some thought...with coffee and a bacon sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might turn that thing over to the F.A.R.T. squad.
    Okay. I give up. What's it stand for?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

fairly agile response team

we were legends in our day!

sort of like The Expendables on a budget, and with less hair, more fat and not as fast
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?