Thread: Hello fellas! I'm Dave

Default Hello fellas! I'm Dave

Hi guys

I'm Dave from California and I'm into bushcraft, survival, hiking, and the outdoors. I love this forum and the online community, I've learned soooooo much. Pretty much everything I know about this stuff is from the online community. I take what I learn and then go practice as much as I can.

Sadly, because of constraints on time I do a lot of practice in the backyard but I try to do infield practice as much as I can.

I like sharing my experiences with gear and bushcraft, I'm no expert of any kind, just sharing some data with the community.

Well that's pretty much it. Everyone here is super friendly and I wanted to formally introduce myself.

Hey welcome Dave, Dont stress I some times do things in my back yard also, I can't always get out (as crazy as it might seem seeing I live in South Africa)
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Welcome home.

Hi fellas, thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning from everyone!

Welcome to the forum Dave. Glad you found us. I hope you really do take the time to read up on the topics you are interested in. The search feature is a great/very useful tool. I agree with everyone else about using your backyard. I learned how to build a fire in my back yard, I learned how to use an axe in my back yard. I have learned how to set up every new tent/tipi/fly I have ever owned in either my front yard or my back yard. I have practiced cooking a lot of meals over a fire or a back packing stove in my back yard. I have learned and have come to really appreciate the value of learning how to use my gear and kit someplace other than walking down the trail or in the dark on the side of a hill! But man does it make for some funny/good stories later.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Welcome to the forum Dave. Glad you found us. I hope you really do take the time to read up on the topics you are interested in. The search feature is a great/very useful tool. I agree with everyone else about using your backyard. I learned how to build a fire in my back yard, I learned how to use an axe in my back yard. I have learned how to set up every new tent/tipi/fly I have ever owned in either my front yard or my back yard. I have practiced cooking a lot of meals over a fire or a back packing stove in my back yard. I have learned and have come to really appreciate the value of learning how to use my gear and kit someplace other than walking down the trail or in the dark on the side of a hill! But man does it make for some funny/good stories later.
    I can't agree more with you... I often test equipment or strategy at home in my yard before use in bush... you need to really understand a concept and or equipment well to see how it works or if it will work for you and if it is indeed reliable before actually reling on it for ones own survival weather it be in practice in the bush ( and that's all u have, or an actual situation)
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    I have always used since childhood.....my back/front yards as a trial, proving ground on anything new...be it skills or gear.

The time to find out how to use a bow drill is not watching a vid for the first time on You Tube,... at dusk.......LOL

That said, it has led to some humorous events......
    Like having the whole neighborhood stop by the see a 16 ft Tipi set up in the yard....("honest dad I told ya it is a real Tipi...."
    Or
    Having the fire department stop by to remind me ..."No open fires" while cooking on my fire pit dug into yard....
    Some discussion on other near by open charcoal grills and back yard metal pits ensued...Resulting is the completion of supper.
    Or
    Setting the sprinklers off ...with the first flint,steel, char cloth fire on my desk....(didn't think it would work THAT good.)

Point is ........you don't have to go far to have fun....and when the wilderness trips do take place,... you already have a great start in using those skills and gear.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You guys are totally right. Its good to practice in a controlled environment, find out what you need to work on and test things/theories out, before going infield and realize you're missing something.

Right on fellas! This forum rocks!

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome from the Great Mojave Desert!

welcome dave
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Thank so much fellas, such a warm welcome. This board is awesome!

Pssst. 1sttimestar is a lady. In every sense of the word, I might add.

Welcome to WSF, Dave!