Thread: Greetings.

Default Greetings.

Hello I am new to the forum. I reside in Western TN. I am a youth. I enjoy anything outdoors as well as reading. I'm here to learn survival skills but mainly to figure out what I should do with my life.

Presently I have given up video games somewhat recently, which I am struggling with.
    I would love to learn how to live off the land and unlock a more independent side of myself, which I am also struggling with.

A prime example, I planned on staying outside for the day and spending the night out there too. I stayed out from six am to two pm, but as you can see I am here on my phone in the house since a bit after two. When I wandered back to the house I was so frustrated with myself and sad about giving up. I'm thinking I'm not motivated enough. If I know I can fall back on food in the fridge and shelter in the bed than how can I stay motivated to do something like staying a day away?
    It really just isn't survival when I've got backups ready. (Not to mention the ticks are especially bad this year)

Thank you.

Welcome home, Scritch. You have the desire so half the battle is won. Give yourself some time. Try this, stick your phone in your pocket and go for a walk. Set yourself a goal such as trying to identify as many different birds as you can or something similar. You don't have to spend the whole day and night outside. It's nice if you do but don't consider it a failure if you don't. Just get outside, go for a walk and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer.

Having some essentials at hand is always a good thing. Survival happens when everything goes bad and you have no backups. None of us plan for that to happen so we always have essentials available.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. Good job on getting started. Don't be so hard on yourself. Once you figure out all the different and fun things there are to do out there, it will be much easier to BE out there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hello and welcome. Hang in there. Get outside every day and enjoy. Giving up video games is probably a great start. Replace it with something that you can become passionate about that you can do outdoors. Nature photography might be a good start.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome ....From Wisconsin.

I agree that starting out is tougher by your self..... than say with a group of friends.
    People tend to try to keep up there appearance in a group, pushing you and you pushing yourself... to keep up with them....then enjoy the memories of a outing well done.

Breaking away for constant stimulation is a tough deal....Had hunting friends that could not put their phone down....
    Keep at it......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to the forum Scritch. Sounds like you already making some big changes. Congratulations on those positive decisions. If you do not mind me asking, how old are you? It will help us give you some ideas for activities and projects to encourage you to enjoy the outdoors more if we have some kind of idea of your background and age. Have you done any camping at all? Back packing or car camping? I am looking forward to hearing back from you on your new endeavors and adventures. Making and gathering your kit is almost as much fun as getting to use it out in the wilderness/woods.

Welcome Scritch, I commend you for joining and perusing out doors and becomin a bit more self reliant etc.
    It some thing that I think a lot more younger guys need to do. My advice to you is don't worry about time (that is irrelevant) you need to find things to do or set your self goals that seem attainable and interesting and fun for you to do whilst you out there (like most suggest) if you have things to keep you busy you can and likely will stay out longer. . And if they things u enjoy well then you want to remain out as long as you possibly can hah.
    So yeah set a goal like one day I don't know walk/hike 5miles... or one day go out and set yourself a task to just build a nice shelter, or go there and make something like carve a spoon.. If you busy you can't easily bore and get drawn back to what you trying to break away from.. maybe also get one of your friends that may be interested in outdoors to join you for a full day.. or even a 24 hour camping session then extend that later down te line to 2- 3 days with specific tasks you set.. build it up.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

hello and welcome
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.