Thread: Help with info for friend's revolver

Default Help with info for friend's revolver

My buddy got handed down quite a few family guns recently (Father past away). He is trying to get info on them. This one is pretty old. Smith and Wesson 38 spec. CTG. It has a serial number on the butt. Looks like 32963(or 8)7. How does he get more info on it? He had a close family and the guns mean a lot to him.
    Thanks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Pics would help. Model designation or numbers, stainless or blue.

Fairly old is a real puzzle of a term. Could be any were from 1898-1999. I am still looking at the "new models" as the change from long action to short action in 1955.

Check for the serial number inside the front of the frame where the crane locks up. The last 4 digits are there if the gun was produced after 1950, then google the full numbers and you can get estimated dates.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks. I'll pass that along and hopefully he can get a handle on tracking down info on his firearms.

Contact s&w. They should be able to help with all he is looking for.

I gave him enough to start his search. S&W site, S&W forum, etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I gave him enough to start his search. S&W site, S&W forum, etc. Thanks.
    Yep, with the serial number and model, the S&W site boys can tell him the age.

As Kyratshooter stated, "really old" is a relative term. Ordinarily condition is much more important than age when it comes to most firearms.

S.M.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

His Grandpa and Dad were meticulous with all their tools, including their firearms. There's wear, but no rust. I know my buddy has many memories of days in the woods with the guns and dogs.

His BIL snatched this particular revolver while Mark's Dad suffered from Alzheimer's. He just gave it back when his wife (Mark's sister) died. Guess he had some semblance of decency.

I'm probably not getting the whole story of family connection to this gun yet. Mark's kinda quiet. I know I've heard more about this gun than all the others combined. His elk rifle comes in second.

Thanks for the help.