Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Food

Psssst .......Google is your friend....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry I'm not a Latin Scholar, but thanks for letting me know. Now I can sound smart when I talk to my friends about the woods.

A lot of you guys like Bannock, what is your generic recipe. I made some and it was awful.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by NE Survival View Post
    A lot of you guys like Bannock, what is your generic recipe. I made some and it was awful.
    Some people have the idea that bannock is dough wrapped around a stick like the picture, it is not. You need to google that too!

Bannock is a term used for any quick bread that rises with the use of baking powder. It does not have to be a bland mass of under-cooked dough.

That Bisquick on a stick is using a very powerful leavening agent and makes about anything better from its use from "stick bread" to pancakes and biscuits.

Bannock is originally a traditional Scottish recipe and was also popular in Ireland. In both areas it was usually baked in a dutch oven over coals on the hearth. The base recipe is always the same;

two cups all purpose flour
    teaspoon salt
    two teaspoons baking powder (not baking soda)
    one cup of sour milk or butter-milk (the lactic acids react with the baking powder to make the bread rise)

Mix everything together, plop into a dutch oven with coals over and under and bake for 45 minutes.

Some people add dry fruit or raisins or honey. I like it plain and bake a loaf about every week.

I also sometimes cut some shortening or lard into the flour before adding the milk and use the recipe for biscuits. You can roll it out and cut the biscuits with a cutter or just drop the batter on a pan and bake for 12-15 minutes in a 450 degree oven. Yep, baking a loaf takes a lot longer than the biscuits.

I'll bet now you will need a recipe for gravy too!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    "Stick bread" was standard "BSA' fare along with "hobo hamburgers"......patty of hamburger, mixed veggies pat of butter in a folded tinfoil package.
    http://www.radacutlery.com/blog/beef...-recipe-video/

Cherry or peach cobbler in D.O. for dessert.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-28-2017 at 01:58 PM.

I have the BSA cookbook. Great recipes. Peach, Blackberry, Blueberry cobbler, and spiced apples are our desserts in the summer camp.

You guys flung such a craving on me that I had to make biscuits and gravy with my survival pork chops tonight.

If I can find a can of peaches I will make a cobbler too.

krat survival pork chops? you mean like mountian house?
    i had those once many moons ago. they were very good
    once rehydrated.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

oh how bout hobo chicken or fish make both pretty much the same way.
    for fish wrap entire fish in wet clay and place on coals when done break clay and pull off fish.
    comes out very juicey. with chicken or phesant, duck, gut bird first work clay into feathers well
    smother bird in clay and bake on coals bout 45,min to 1;hr,
    this method is similar to an indian tandoor.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

eating too much bannock may cause digestive distress. Many years ago I ran out of most of my supplies other than bannock fixings. I ate bannock day after day, for months. When I came home my stomach was really bothering. I felt better after a few weeks and never though much more about it. Then fast forward many years and I was reading a story by Raymond Thompson, it my have been in his book Land of Fur and Gold. He talks about a couple trappers that ran out of food save for bannock. One of them had "digestive distress" Raymond attributed it to the bannock, basically too much backing powder for too long a time. I don't know if it's true but it brought back the memory from years before. For what it's worth Raymond was the developer of the thompson cable snare and he trapped British Colombia some time during the 1920's or thereabouts.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I am kind of a traditionalist in this regard I guess. In my regular kit I almost always carry some dry pinto beans, some dry rice (real rice not any instant stuff), corn meal and sugar. I try to keep some real jerky in my kit as well. I also try and always bring some bacon. I fish when I can and, if it is legal I hunt if possible and reasonable. I would love to "practice" using snares BUT Oklahoma really, like REALLY takes a dim view of wire snares period. I try to spot and gather edibles as I go and my camp is almost always dictated by the old "Wood, Water and Grass" idea.
    Probably because of where I was raised but I am way more of a "hoe cake/Johnny bread" kind guy than bannock. I love biscuits but if am doing "primitive" camping I rarely carry/use flour for much of anything. Except for gravy that is.....
    I will use aluminum foil (Which I always carry in my kit unless it is a real "hardcore" primitive effort) before I wrap dough on a stick or drape it on a stick over a fire. To be truthful I have cooked my bread as pancakes on a smooth, clean hot rock rather than wrap it on a stick.
    If we are horse packing or canoeing or car camping we pretty much take a whole chuck box of stuff and make cakes, cobblers, stews, roast, gumbo, fried chicken, chicken fried steaks or whatever we want. Dutch ovens are wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    krat survival pork chops? you mean like mountian house?
    i had those once many moons ago. they were very good
    once rehydrated.
    No, my survival pork chops come from the local meat market and they are delicious!

I do remain traditional and cook them over an open fire, on the propane grill.

I then cook my survival baked potatoes in the microwave. If you put them in the fire they get all black and crusty.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you put them in the fire they get all black and crusty.
    Yeah, aren't they great?.......?

There is a lot to be said about survival corn bread, a survival salad and survival tea. Hard to survive without that.

I had a nice big ole survival Rum & Coke tonight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

TEOTWAWKI .....Survival kit,
    Lawn chair, 30 pack of brewskies, big bag of chips.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    TEOTWAWKI .....Survival kit,
    Lawn chair, 30 pack of brewskies, big bag of chips.....
    Don't forget a case of Snickers.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    That be cheating... where is the sourdough? where is the work & effort?? what is this McDonalds Survival? I think not... It's like biting a Tootsie Pop after three licks...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    That be cheating... where is the sourdough? where is the work & effort?? what is this McDonalds Survival? I think not... It's like biting a Tootsie Pop after three licks...
    Actually I could tell ya a funny story about that......LOL