Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: axe or chopper

Quote Originally Posted by guy from southernontario2 View Post
    I'm thinking about buy a one or two tool option should I buy an axe or a knife
    Here's how I see it: I live in southeastern Texas. I don't really need an axe to cut through mesquite trees. I could baton or hack my way through a 3 to 6 inch wide branch just fine with something like a BK9 or an ESEE Junglas. You live up in Ontario where there's no mesquite. There's lots of hardwood up there, so I'd probably forego the chopper and stick with an axe.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure mesquite is a softwood. I've had a much easier time hacking through a 6 inch mesquite branch vs. an equal sized oak branch.

Quote Originally Posted by CFH2558 View Post
    Here's how I see it: I live in southeastern Texas. I don't really need an axe to cut through mesquite trees. I could baton or hack my way through a 3 to 6 inch wide branch just fine with something like a BK9 or an ESEE Junglas. You live up in Ontario where there's no mesquite. There's lots of hardwood up there, so I'd probably forego the chopper and stick with an axe.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure mesquite is a softwood. I've had a much easier time hacking through a 6 inch mesquite branch vs. an equal sized oak branch.
    Your choice is depending on what "You want" and your intended use.
    An ..either or scenario... is a self imposed limitation.

Zack chose a shovel for the Alone Show...But I have to believe that was more for His idea of what he thought would be best or required for that show....not necessarily a model for everyone, for all scenarios.

I carry:

1)Knife............Always
    2)ax/hatchet....Add for Hunting Bag, Day Bag...PSK or whatever you want to call it.
    3)Saw.............Add to hunting ....big game trip
    4)Shovel.........Add to BOB.....along with more survival gear.....Mostly carried in truck...but able to be carried.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Then there is that cordless chain saw you keep in the truck that muddles the whole issue!

Lets just face it, us old geezers do an end run around this whole "Pack it in in a BOB" thing.

No one walks anywhere in real life. You don't walk to work, you drive to work. You don't walk to the store, you drive to the store. You don't walk into a survival situation, it happens while you are in a boat, vehicle, or plane.

Bugging out for TEOTWAWKI? Yea right! And take the wife and kids along. She would kill you for even thinking it, and don't tell her you even considered it if she asks. She is going to realize you really don't want her and the kids trudging along behind you messing up your fantasy.

So if you have a transport mode take some gear. Take an ax and a chopper and a Mora and a multitool and a Swiss Army Knife and borrow the neighbor's chain saw. Take a tent and a tarp. Take a sleeping bag. Take two sleeping bags and a blanket. Carry some canned goods and some corned beef and spam and maybe some canned bacon and some of that B&M bread in a can and a 10# sack of potatoes.

I can fall down in my living room ad knock over more gear than they get to carry to Vancouver Island on Alone and I have two shop buildings to hold more crap than any of those geezers on Mountain Men would admit to owning.

And I just hope and pray that if a cop ever stops me again he has a good sense of humor and likes to camp, hunt and fish cause some the stuff in my rig is very difficult to explain.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, Yeah....That's a Ryobi ......charger and inverter. (No Gas)
    That's for clearing trees for the trail...

If I'm headed into big timber and fixing on building a homestead....Add the Stihl's.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

After the movers 18 wheeler backed over my mail box, I was glad to have my axe. My other tools were packed but not the axe. It's handy to have around. With the poll (butt) I was able to hammer in a new post.