Thread: Cordless nail gun

Default Cordless nail gun

anybody have opinions on them? I need a nail gun the cordless cost more but no compressor needed. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Gas cartridge or battery? Framing nails or finish nails?
    I like them but they need more looking after than a regular nail gun.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Battery is what I was thinking and it will be used for framing.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Fellas that I knew that had them loved them. They had the cartridge kind. They said they had to have two because one was always at the repair shop. That was when they first came out years ago and they might be more reliable now. Never used them myself. Regular framing guns I've had don't break down since I don't use them much. Guns I shoot about 5-15 thousand times a week seem to last 2-3 years.

We used the Paslode brand of gas-powered finish nail guns back in the day. edr730 is right; they did break down more than we liked. One thing we did not like about them other than the break-downs was using them in closed spaces. We called them fart guns.
    The framer I had (but never used much) had a battery and gas cartridge. It just stayed in the truck because we never used it. I gave it to another crew.
    I want to try out a battery-powered finisher, though. I just want my boss to pay for it.
    Wilderness Survival:

If you don't have a compressor, why are you framing? A decent air tool will last your lifetime. Your compressor won't, but that is what you will be replacing... not all the other tools. If you get a compressor, you can also get a bunch of other tools that work with it.

Of course, I started framing with a hammer. If you are under 30, just buy a nice heavy framing hammer and go to town. Much cheaper, and you will need the hammer anyways, even with a nail gun.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

almost everyone I know of insists that you need to use two different sizes of nails on trim that gets installed on even something like a window. I often see guys pulling out a 15 or 16 ga for parts of the trim and then getting out the 18 for the smaller trim.
    So I have to wonder if you simply installed your 18 ga nails closer together thus getting more nails in the trim then would the trim be installed as well and as tight as the other trim that gets less nails but with a bigger gauge of nail. The main difference that I see is the nail head size seems almost not there on an 18 ga nail compared to a 15 or 16. And that I think most 18 ga only go to 2 inch nails where a 15 or 16 can go to 2 1/2 inch long.

Nothing to see here. Just some spam that got removed.
    Last edited by amzounslideslide; 08-29-2019 at 11:22 AM.

15/16 ga for less nail holes to fill and more stability. 18 ga for where nails are needed but thinner material would split/break from larger gauge.
    Wilderness Survival:

This limits your work time to your battery charge, but if you keep a spare this rarely slows down your job. These types of nailers are not always the strongest, and not often seen for heavy framing jobs and such, but they are reliable and convenient. GOOD FOR NAILING UP A BUNCH OF SPAM I DECIDED TO PUT ON HERE, THOUGH.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-03-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed Link

You nailed that one Rick.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I like them but they need more looking after than a regular nail gun. THEY DON'T WORK WELL IN SPAM
    Last edited by Rick; 12-06-2021 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Removed link