Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Family Member

Default New Family Member

Grrr. I hate this. I have never owned an SKS but I've had many try to call my name over the years. I kept watching the price rise on them along with everything else and finally decided to just do it. Like all of you, I can remember when the prices were just about give away but they are not going to get any lower (at least that was my justification). I bought a Yugo from Classic Arms that was a Serbian Police trade in, in as is condition. It was rated good to very good. Fine. I paid the extra $20 bucks for a hand pick and it was delivered yesterday. I do not think this weapon has ever been issued. It had light cosmoline so a complete disassemble and cleaning and several hours later I had a blemish free weapon with a bright shiny bore. Five patches through the barrel to get one to come out clean. The only spot of rust I can find is on the buckle of the sling! That was a great $20 bucks spent and my hat is off to Classic Arms.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Nice looking....last few I have seen were Chinese, at shows, and looked like they they were dragged there behind a pickup truck.

Make sure you strip the bolt all the way down ...mine had so much cosmoline...had to soak it in mineral spirits the brush out with old toothbrush.

Now you are ready to launch grenades......

Congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

nice rifle... I like a sks, 20 inch barrel, no magazine to lose, wood stock, good caliber.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Must.......resist
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Funny story....
    Out at "The Place"....neighbor build AR's....all sortes of AR's.....

Had a new one to try out so called me.
    When we are both there....we call each other...1) warning for the dogs...2) see if I/him wants to shoot as well.
    Long range about 175 yards crosses both properties.

I was shooting the Yugo SKS with a cheapo reciever cover scope mount.......whole kit was about $60 bucks.....
    He has his latest version with a Red dot sight.....

He was having a hard time hitting the backboard....he really needed a scope seem to cover the target at that range.
    The SKS was shooting MOPP ......with spam can ammo.

We finally started playing "shoot the bucket" 5 gal bucket on a fence post...170 ys. rds off hand.....
    I was kicking his butte...then asked if he wanted to try it.....
    He says ..."How much ammo do you have?....
    Said..."Oh about 350 rds...."
    So we sat on the tailgate and took turns.....

He bought one as well.... (were about $250 at the time)....but went back and put a tactical(?) scope on the AR.
    After that he kicked my butte...LOL.
    Was fun though.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I had one years ago. That's a nice looking one there though.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have to agree with Hunter's advice to take the bolt down completely. The firing pin of the SKS is about it's only weak point. It is not spring loaded and does not rebound and it is square. If stuff gets jammed in the firing pin channel or old grease gets hardened in there the FP can stick with the nose ahead of the bolt face and go full auto until the mag empties. Punched primers sometimes blow a small disk back and cause that.

The other place where crud hides is in the piston spring plunger tube where the gas piston pushes it back against the bolt. If they are not cleaned out and lubed well they can bend.

The trigger system on those things is a Rube Goldberg nightmare. I decided to smooth and lighten my first one and it took a year to get it back to working right! Second one I just bought reworked parts.

The tilt block action is basically a BAR turned upside down.

Buy yourself some stripper clips immediately! They are cheap on Ebay.

Even if you go for the extended magazines and do the 922R thing, you will still need stripper clips for rapid reload of that last magazine. Leave it in the rifle and feed it from the top.

The only reason I went to removable mags was to get the 3 extra parts compatible for 922R when I changed stocks.

Also remember that the rear sight notch run all the way down to the end of the sight ladder and dropped onto the base platform is 200m combat zero. Front sight has a windage index line. They were designed to be picked up off the battlefield and instantly zeroed for every soldier. No worrying if some dufus had screwed the sight setting up.

I hear the Yugos are excellent rifles.

Aim has ammo at $209 a case + $17 shipping. You can not reload it that cheap. That's why my floor in the gun room sags.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Box&groupid=39
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-08-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I took everything apart except the trigger assembly. Momma didn't raise any fools. Every crevice, cranny and hole was cleaned of cosmoline, cleaned a second time then gone over with a clean rag. I took the bolt apart, the gas tube, gas lock for the grenade launcher and even cleaned the cleaning kit. It was packed with cosmoline.

Twenty stripper clips are in route (I suppose if I were a reporter I should call the clips magazines. It only seems fitting). I am leaving it with the factory magazine. I did look for a 20 round star magazine and found a couple but hoo boy howdy were they proud of them. I'm not paying $100 for an extra 10 rounds.

I have a bit of ammo because of my AK. It's also a Yugo. Apparently, the Yugoslavian's were all trained to machine solid blocks of metal into some part of a fighting weapon. I'll bet when the machine stamps arrived they disassembled them and made milling machines out of them. This thing is half a tree and 7 pounds of solid steel. I have a new found respect for those little Vietnamese and Chinese guys and gals that lugged these things around.

Don't forget to flip the switch from launch to fire......
    Laund is a single shot....fire is semi auto......(normal)
    This guy calls it "auto"...(?)

I didn't bother with the extended magazine either... as this is not a MBR.....but a fun gun to shoot. (not carry.

Forgot to mention....the Yugo doesn't have a spring fir the firing pin like earlier models.
    This guy provides a kit...new pin w/spring for 45 bucks.

My firing pin was garfed up a bit. ...where the locking pin fits....looks like it was pounded in at some point.
    Anyway...for me this was a no brainer.

https://murraysguns.com/sks-firing-pins/

Very nice , see now ya got me wanting a SKS . Why do I look at these threads ?????

I put one of these scope mount kits ...comes on a bolt cover...and a cheapo scope....
    Mine came as a package.....this is just the mount.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ks+scope+mount

Lot pf discussion by the interweb experts advising this is a POS and loses zero.
    That has not been my experience.......but then again I not shooting 200 yards...unless it at the bucket....LOL

Hang in there Rick....we will spend your money for ya....

I have the same mount, only different. Mine has the rail a bit higher and a tunnel under the rail so you can use the iron sights, hopefully. You can use the tunnel like a big peep sight.

They hook into the frame just like the regular dust cover with two wedge points on the front and the through bolt at the rear. Mine came over-sized at the front so it could be fit to the rifle and not wobble as much. After a couple of cases of ammo run through it it has developed a bit of shake but not enough to miss the bucket.

I also went so far as to drill, tap and JB Weld an AK rail mount to the side of my SKS. All that solid steel allows that. There is even room for a bolt for each mount screw on the inside and none of the stuff going back and forth touches any of it. I have a QD slide on mount for that and it is very secure.

You have to use a compact scope on the SKS and sit it back where the empties flying out clear the scope and the stripper clip guides are not blocked.

The firing pin was primo so I'm not going to mess with it. I honestly don't think anything more than the test firing went through this thing. If I put that mount on mine I'd use to attach a carry handle.

It should have come with a carrying handle. One made of heavy strap canvas with a spring fastener on one end and a buckle on the other.

One end snaps into the bracket at the front of the gas tube and the other loops around the stock through the sling swivel.

You hang it around your neck and let the rifle sit about waist high.

Yeah, well, not on my frame. If you let the cloth out all the way and hang it over my shoulder the weapon sits under my armpit. Gotta loose some weight.

For some reason, I thought you already had an SKS...well, before the canoe accident. I am thinking of a post a few years ago about you showing off your magazine pouches and web gear for an SKS. Apparently I don't remember correctly.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Hey, watch that stuff! Normal memory rules do not apply to those over 60!

I forgot I owned a 9mm once and bought another one. That has happened 8 or 15 times now.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    For some reason, I thought you already had an SKS...well, before the canoe accident. I am thinking of a post a few years ago about you showing off your magazine pouches and web gear for an SKS. Apparently I don't remember correctly.
    Probably the Mosins.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Time to get the camera out.

I went SKS overdrive a couple of years back and bought two stocks and all shapes and sizes of magazines.

This is one set up as a hunting sporter with 3-9 scope and 5 round magazine.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.