Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFA question

Default NFA question

I was wondering what do you fellas think the chances of short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns being removed from NFA classification? It seems so doggone silly with mares legs and krinkovs and judges and such available, I don't get it..... Well I do get it. Wonder how the silencer laws are coming along?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I don't see much likelihood of the NFA being repealed entirely. Suppressors maybe, there's a bill in the works for that. I agree that the NFA is stupid, pointless and had virtually no effect on crime but at the same time I don't think the general public wants to see machine guns and SBRs at every shooting range.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Speak for yourself, I want to see them!

I want to be one of the guys that brings them to the range.

I want to be one of the guys with one standing in the corner of the bedroom.

There is not a single practical reason that my 10" barreled AR pistol should not have the shoulder stock from the M4 attached.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-31-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

More stupid and pointless laws that are repealed, the better.

Many of those laws are only there because they couldn't ban guns themselves.

Next thing you know, you will only be able to drive in reverse while with your CCW.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Speak for yourself, I want to see them!

I want to be one of the guys that brings them to the range.

I want to be one of the guys with one standing in the corner of the bedroom.

There is not a single practical reason that my 10" barreled AR pistol should not have the shoulder stock from the M4 attached.
    You are hardly typical of the general public! I would say the average person is leery of the "shoulder thing that goes up" and "assault rifles" toted by private citizens. I absolutely agree that my CZ Scorpion pistol would be awesome with a folding stock without the red tape and expense of a stamp, and if there was no NFA I would probably have a suppressor on every gun I own. But in the nearly 90 years since the NFA was passed I have seen very little evidence of popular support for its repeal. If the majority of the public wanted it gone it would probably have been repealed by now.

Phaedrus, I do not think you know all that much about the "majority of the public" or have been elected to speak for them.

I find that the "majority of the public" does not understand that short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, silencers and full auto firearms are not illegal at all, they are simply heavily taxed.

As time goes by it is only the paperwork that is a real nuisance since the $200 tax imposed on depression era citizens was an impossible burden for the "majority of the public" who were working for $1 a day. Inflation has helped us a lot with that, the tax is no longer 8 months pay.

And I know some of that "majority of the public" that faced that law when it was imposed. They considered it a violation of their rights, confiscation of property with no just compensation, and kept their stuff.

As for me not being "typical", well you need to attend one of the WSF jamborees, or better yet, plan a trip to one of the local machine gun shoots we hold around here and see some "typical". There will be thousands and thousands of "typical" folks there, many of them members of the general public.

http://www.knobcreekrange.com/events...hine-gun-shoot
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-01-2017 at 01:24 AM.

I have no problem with the NFA. I wish some of the laws were repealed but the NFA doesn't pass the laws. They only try to enforce them. I really don't want to return to the 20s and 30s when REAL gangsters (not these wanna be's we have today) ruled the streets with Thompsons and BARs. We do not have car jackings in Indy. The reason is about half the population carry. About half those that carry are women. A little less than half are women but close enough for talking around the campfire. I don't know about where you live but around here most of the folks don't mind weapons. That's why we have open carry, the castle doctrine that extends to your vehicle and stand your ground. Heck, you can even carry to a school if you are dropping off or picking up a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Phaedrus, I do not think you know all that much about the "majority of the public" or have been elected to speak for them.
    You can wait for the NFA to go away but don't hold your breath waiting.

Silencers. Yes, absolutely!
    Machine guns. No, absolutely not! Of course the only reason is I'ld get sucked into spending WAY too much money on WAY too much ammo. Just think of the trees I save buy not buying all those targets.

This is a long term thing with me.

Back in 1972 I had a half A team pass through my area and stop for the night. They were an extreme long range recon unit headed up to the Ho Trail to count trucks.

They were armed with the first CAR15 carbines I ever saw. A2 lowers with 10" barrels and round hand guards. I laid eyes on them and my first words were "I want one!"

The answer was, "They are special, they are just for us, you can't have one."

I could have an M2, M60, M16 or a 14" barreled shotgun but not a CAR15.

I came home and for 45 years the government has told me "You can have one but there will be a $200 tax, we need more money!"

I just want the opportunity to pull two pins on the M4 lower I already have and place the 10" barrel I already own, as a pistol, onto the rifle lower without being a felon and not have to pay $200 for permission to break the law.

My reaction has been to build the same firearm in semi-auto form as a "pistol". If I need a butt stock I have to have an extra 6" of barrel, if I want the short barrel I can not have a shoulder stock. Either way, I still have people telling me "You can't have one!"

I legally own both upper and lower and I am obeying the law when they are are an inch apart, I think.
    I am obeying the law when they are 1/2" apart, I think.
    I do not believe I am a felon until the two parts touch!!! Possibly until the pins are pushed.

Anyone know for sure?

As for the law itself, all it seems to require is an executive order that agents and prosecutors to NOT ENFORCE the laws as they are written.

It works for medical marijuana.
    It works for recreational marijuana.
    It works for not deporting illegal aliens.
    It works for "sanctuary cities".
    It works for "data collection".

Why should it not work for us?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.

An EO might work if it was forthcoming. I expect that it's not. I can say with certainty that if the NFA was abolished or somehow nullified, I would have at least three SBRs within a week.

I'm all for scrapping the nfa. I'm not concerned about the criminal element owning any sort of firearm because they don't follow the law anyways, hence the term criminal.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

No NFA and that pressure cooker loaded with black powder and nails is perfectly legal. Just sayin'... Although, I'm thinking a crew mounted weapon might be a brand new kind of fun.

yea, the nfa stopped the boston bombers LOL.... In all seriousness though, is the nfa about firearms or explosives or both?

Another question...has the nfa act ever stopped a murder? I guess we will never know but I'm willing to bet if someone wanted to murder someone else they found a way to do it in spite of the nfa. I was talking to a retired federal agent awhile ago. Not sure what agency but it had something to do with ports and harbors. He said that full auto is a real problem for them at their job.

it's about control and revenue period.
    just read some of the posts over.
    folks have been made to be scared to death
    to do this or that lest they break the law.
    that my friends is CONTROL.
    Last edited by hayshaker; 04-04-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

well yea there is a certain amount of fear. There was this one guy that had his kid shot in the back and his wife shot while holding a baby. All over a short barreled shotgun so yea there is fear. So yup, if it's illegal or very inconvenient to own a short barreled shot gun, I will not go there. However though it will not stop a criminal from doing so, it won't even be a speed bump for them.
    Last edited by randyt; 04-04-2017 at 09:43 PM.

yeah i met randy weaver once at a preppers expo, he seemed decent enough guy.
    back in 99.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

me too at a east Tennessee gun show

The NFA is no more than a noose around the neck of law abiding citizens and does nothing to prevent crime or criminal acts.