Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What breed of Chicken Is Your Favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    way way back when I was growing up on the farm my Dad would get 100 to 150 White Leghorns every spring. the were good eating , used to come up to 8 to 10 lbs dressed . I never did look forward to those fall days when we would spend hours and hours scalding , plucking and cleaning them . Was alright though when they were on the table golden brown and full of dressing !!!!
    I hear that....
    DW and MIL ...and a few friends... found a deal on OLD laying chickens...25 cents each on the hoof.
    Catch, kill, scald, pluck and clean 100 chickens.....They we so tough the dig wouldn't eat them......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Gotta say my favorite breed of chicken is extra crispy
    Semper Paratus

way way back when I was growing up on the farm my Dad would get 100 to 150 White Leghorns every spring. the were good eating , used to come up to 8 to 10 lbs dressed . I never did look forward to those fall days when we would spend hours and hours scalding , plucking and cleaning them . Was alright though when they were on the table golden brown and full of dressing !!!!

Are you sure they were white leghorns? Truthfully, I haven't seen a WL rooster, only a hen. But, the hens are much skinnier than other heritage breeds. The main meat bird is a Cornish cross. It is a mix between a Cornish hen and something else. They get BIG.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ostrich???

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Are you sure they were white leghorns? Truthfully, I haven't seen a WL rooster, only a hen. But, the hens are much skinnier than other heritage breeds. The main meat bird is a Cornish cross. It is a mix between a Cornish hen and something else. They get BIG.
    You have me thinking now , I'm sure they were white leghorns . I will find out , I could be wrong I was wrong once before !!!

You have me thinking now , I'm sure they were white leghorns . I will find out , I could be wrong I was wrong once before !!!
    I was too, but only because I thought I was wrong.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I am pretty much always right, except for those times I am wrong.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Does assuming you are wrong incorrectly count as being wrong?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No, no. Assuming your are wrong is only a theory in Wrongness until such time as it is proven as a fact. I don't dwell on assumptions. They might turn out to be true and that would spoil my perfect record. If anyone else pronounces me wrong it automatically goes into the theory column until such time as I have some extra time to explore the situation. I naturally must assume they are wrong, which counts as a truth and not just a theory.

Yeah, YEAH....THAT"S IT......
    Who could argue that?

Well, they'd be wrong if they tried.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

'Zactly.......

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    My mistake i checked and apparently it was "whiterock" chickens we had.

I'm in central texas....if you have plans on free range chickens....be prepared for LOSS! If you want to hatch eggs banty hens are always broody. I've found that most dogs love omelets if you have extra eggs. You can also scramble them and give them to the chickens.....although some overthink that. lol If you buy a meat breed...they get fat quick and need to be butchered fairly quickly.

My best luck between eggs and meat chickens have been plain old yard birds.

I don't know....about chickens.....but if you were talking geese .... bigazz mean nasty farmer white geese.....
    Had a Pair will stop an F-250 and not let you pass...till they are ready.
    Don't get out......
    Just saying.

My coop has a mix of easter eggers, jersey giants, cochins, silkies, and some brown leghorns. The eggers are my favorite. Productive, friendly, hardy and they all have their own look and attitude so you can tell them apart.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

It's been many years, and we may do it again after we get farther along with the 80 to 90% alteration on the house.

For layers: We did well with Barred Rocks. They probably didn't have the best feed conversion ratio, but they were pretty much trouble free.

For meat: We lived in New Jersey at the time. Not far from us were hatcheries that specialized in hatching chicks for the pharmaceutical industry. We bought extras from one of them. For $10 we'd get 40 to 50 Hubbard-Hubbard Cross chicks. They grew amazingly fast and were very tasty. No store bought bird ever matched a six or so pound roaster from the flock. One winter we moved a few into the hen house. The three hens earned their keep. The two roosters died before Spring - one of them weighing close to twenty pounds.
    Last edited by Oldnitehiker; 07-09-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome.....From Wisconsin.
    There is an intro section to say hello at:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

I'm with a coupla other guys, fried is my favorite!!

Honestly, I'm no chicken whisperer but when I lived on the farm most where reds and Banty hens. I heard someone se here say it, the Bantys are hell on hatching eggs to the point it's a fight trying to steal their eggs. From a vanity viewpoint, had a barred rock rooster out there. He was my fav to look at.

About four years ago #3 son had a baby chick come up to his house. No one he knew around there had chickens so he kept it. He named it Rocky. Rocky turned out to be Rockette but the name stuck. When he moved down here less than a year later, I got custody of Rocky and she has been living out behind the storehouse since then. She gives up an egg every two days or so sometimes every day. She's four years old and really does not know she's a chicken. She won't eat kitchen scraps or watermelon rinds, or watermelon. Occasionally she crows. She's a pretty good representative sample of a Buff Orpington.

Once a month I rake her domain and put it on the garden and till it in. One chicken produces more fertilizer than anything else. She's not the least bit scared of humans and all the grandkids learned not to stick their fingers through the fence. She really does like the kids. When she hears them in the back yard she comes running over to the fence cackling. They go get crackers and apple cores from Mimi to feed Rocky.

It's all these little, seemingly unimportant things that are going to be the best memories.

Alan