Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: a question for Crashdrive123 and other knife makers

  1. #1
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    638

    Default a question for Crashdrive123 and other knife makers

    Hi guys over the last week or so I have started the tedious (but enjoyable) task of hand making my 1st knife, all with hand tools, hacksaw, files a vice etc etc.
    The metal I am using is N690 and I sent the blade in for Heat treatment to Bhler, they do a vacuum heat treatment process, and its HRC Rockwell hardness is apparently 58-60
    Now the question I have is, this blade came back CLEAN very clean , no scale at all... from what I can understand, and I did ask and check the net.. is that vacuum heat treatment evacuates the air and gases out so that nothing can oxidize the metal. So yeah I am nervous as it is so darn clean hahaha.
    Is this true? I just want to be triple sure, as all the info I had previously understood with normal Heat Treat, would leave scale on the blade.

    Here is a pic of what I have (as it came back from vacuum heat treat)...
    I have a lot of finishing still to do...d0d006c7-5fb6-41b2-a0f8-1c55ffa7d548.jpg
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 04-06-2017 at 03:20 AM.


  2. #2
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    42,772
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The N690 (I have never used it, but have heard good things about it) is heat treated and then air quenched (I use two large aluminum plates for my air cooled steels). This process does not leave scales, but will leave the steel with a dull, gray finish. I suspect that following the hardening and tempering process that they cleaned up the piece.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The N690 (I have never used it, but have heard good things about it) is heat treated and then air quenched (I use two large aluminum plates for my air cooled steels). This process does not leave scales, but will leave the steel with a dull, gray finish. I suspect that following the hardening and tempering process that they cleaned up the piece.
    Ahhh thanks Man.

  4. #4
    Not a Mod finallyME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    58-60 is pretty hard. Take a file to the handle part and see how much it bites. You can also look for a little dimple, if they tested the hardness on your knife. Of course, they might have done a batch and put a small piece of similar metal in the furnace and tested that instead.
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the company is reputable, it is probably fine. It looks like it went through a heat treat. Make sure and post the finished product, we all want to see it!
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

  5. #5
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    58-60 is pretty hard. Take a file to the handle part and see how much it bites. You can also look for a little dimple, if they tested the hardness on your knife. Of course, they might have done a batch and put a small piece of similar metal in the furnace and tested that instead.
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the company is reputable, it is probably fine. It looks like it went through a heat treat. Make sure and post the finished product, we all want to see it!
    Yeah last night I was trying to work it to get the edge in and start finishing up, and all I can say is they must have heat treated it holy smokes... it is now a lot more tough to work with a bastard file than it was previously. So yeah no doubt its been done. I look forward to finishing it... just gona take a bit longer than I thought.

  6. #6
    Not a Mod finallyME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Sounds like a winner! Definitely post pics.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

  7. #7

    Default

    What would be a good starter steel for someone who's never made a knife before?

    "When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."

    III%

  8. #8
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    42,772
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wlf/Diesel View Post
    What would be a good starter steel for someone who's never made a knife before?

    "When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."

    III%
    I started on using old rusty sawmill blades and files. If you want to start using bar stock, 1095 is easy to work with and heat treat.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I started on using old rusty sawmill blades and files. If you want to start using bar stock, 1095 is easy to work with and heat treat.
    Sounds good, thank you. I sort of thought someone might say that.

    "When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."

    III%

  10. #10
    Senior Member Antonyraison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wlf/Diesel View Post
    What would be a good starter steel for someone who's never made a knife before?

    "When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."

    III%
    I honestly dont know... its the 1st knife i made... its tough metal but workable...
    01 tool steel might be better or easier ( and can easily be self heat treated)

  11. #11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •