Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To sharpen a machete .....The Adventure.

I've always just held it over my thigh and used a file on it. Machetes hit rocks, nails, all sorts of stuff. So I dont want a hard blade, which chips-out. I can fix a "turned" edge or a blunted one (if not too bad) with the file in a few minutes. It's not like I need to shave with it. :-) If it's a bad nick, then the benchgrinder and Dremel can fix it.

hi everybody

Bizarro 1st post.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Bizarro screen name too. Most people would have avoided that tag.

As well as obviously missing the introduction section.

"Hi everybody" in a thread on machetes? What are we supposed to do with that?

Is this what happens when you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by jake666 View Post
    hi everybody
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....

Joined in 2014 and today is your first post?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When I was a kid mowing grass in Morgan City, LA. I had a cane knife that I used to edge sidewalks. I'd whack a couple of times and drag the hook back through the groove. I had a heavy blade Bolo that I used for my swamp walks. The cane knife was sorta self sharpening on the concrete sidewalk edge but I used a file on the Bolo. My dad would have had a fit if I had ever even looked like I was going to approach a blade with a grinder. I use a bench grinder for all my rough sharpening chores now.

My biggest problem these days is that all my fingers on both hands have turned into thumbs. When I go out to the shop nowadays I just knock everything onto the floor and then pick up what I need. I'm going to drop anything I touch anyway.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    When I was a kid mowing grass in Morgan City, LA. I had a cane knife that I used to edge sidewalks. I'd whack a couple of times and drag the hook back through the groove. I had a heavy blade Bolo that I used for my swamp walks. The cane knife was sorta self sharpening on the concrete sidewalk edge but I used a file on the Bolo. My dad would have had a fit if I had ever even looked like I was going to approach a blade with a grinder. I use a bench grinder for all my rough sharpening chores now.

My biggest problem these days is that all my fingers on both hands have turned into thumbs. When I go out to the shop nowadays I just knock everything onto the floor and then pick up what I need. I'm going to drop anything I touch anyway.

Alan

Been doing the same....like everything is 1/2 " from where it looks like it is....?

Go out in the shop and just throw everything on the floor ...then pick up what you need...then drop it again.

Actually was supposed to train an apprentice OTJT trainee

No tools. so use mine....then just dropped them and walked on them....
    One day......Gone.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27