Thread: Desert Survival Scenario

Default Desert Survival Scenario

I was at a conference this weekend and we ran a desert survival scenario, for an exercise in teamwork. I thought it was pretty cool! (Our team totally rocked, by the way!)

Thought some might be interested:

http://www.humansynergistics.com/products/survival.aspx

http://shadabsayani.blogspot.com/200...-exercise.html

Very cool. I like these kinds of problems. I would much rather be stranded in a less severe place
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Good stuff AD. A good exercise (mental gym) in thinking critically.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice. I was disappointed to see "Air Conditioner" was not on the list but that's what happens sometimes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default The gun

I as discussing the scenario with the lady and she had a great comment:

Who ever has the gun automatically has everything else, including water.

There is some logic in that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

At the risk of going off at a tangent may i recommend a work of fiction to those interested in desert survival scenarios. Dune by Frank Herbert, not only a fantastic story but it is largely based on fact but reinterpreted into the sci-fi setting, he did extensive anthropological, geological and ecological research which is why the book is so good. Based on a desert planet it is full of desert survival (of course the giants worms can be ignored).

In the middle east there are indeed underwater canals and water stores, surface water storage is not feasable as it would evapourate. Even the still-suits are inspired from reality, while desert dwellers do not wear such technology they do wear simple clothing that provides cover from the sun as well as allowing the skin to breath - it has even been theorised that their clothing allows osmosis to occur through the skin to reabsorb a minimal amount of moisture back from the sweat. I am unsure on that fact but regardless there are many valuable lessons in both survival and life that can be taken from that book.

-> (points to quote in signature)

Apologies for straying slightly but i do believe this is marginally relevant at least.
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert