Thread: What she did right

Default What she did right

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dento...iles-call-help

These don't tell that she also made arrangements with her dad ahead of time so that he could keep track of her location daily through an automatic app on his phone...unfortunately, he was looking for her the whole time, but was looking in the wrong place because after a certain point it didn't know where she'd ended up.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Saw that.....Glad it had a happy ending.

Also shows the even the best plans can go sideways.. .but some knowledge and a clam head may save your life.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My crab head might be good enough though...

- William Arthur Ward

Well that would "calm" head....for the popo.....LOL

What She Did Right.

The Girl. - "But ... but ... but my GPS told me to turn right right there."

Reporter. - "Well why didn't you gas up before you tooled off out into the remote desert?"

The Girl. - "My GPS didn't tell me to. After all if you can't trust your friendly GPS, who can you trust?"

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I couldn't find anything that shows the full story that I saw on t.v. which made me think to share it in here. She stopped to get gas, and it was high priced at that location, and she was trying to ration her money. She did some stuff wrong, obviously, and this probably wouldn't be a story if she didn't, so this is also a story of people relying too much on handheld electronics and gps and map stuff...I've seen some ridiculous directions from mapquest and google directions which is why I tell people just tell me where something is and I'll figure out my own way there instead of follow directions...but, after mistakes are made, doing things right to fix those mistakes is what stuff like this is about.

- William Arthur Ward

I just think it illustrates the value of being prepared for possibilities, ...keep your head, admitting to your mistakes...Then making better decisions.

Many would not have made it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Reading this for a couple of days, thinking about it.

I can not really say the girl did much wrong, except run out of gas.

Shouldn't trust a GPS?? Why not? It is better than 99% of the world populations map reading skills.

I used to get lost looking for unknown addresses and locations all the time using a map. I was just never in the desert. We tend to forget all those incidents while trashing the use of GPS. We also forget all those conversations that went:

"Will you stop and ask for directions?"
    "No I know where I am!"
    "Then why did that sign say we are in Alabama, we are supposed to be in Ohio!"

I can not remember the last time I used a map to get anywhere, I just wait for the girl in the GPS machine to tell me where to turn and even where to stop. (she does not like junk food and tells me to go back to the roadway when I stop at McD's.)

She had some food. Not going to starve in five days anyway.

She had some water. More than the locals carry as EDC from what I could tell.

She stayed on marked trails and left a note when she walked out for a signal, which was what saved her.

Yep, I have to say I would have died at the vehicle. No way I could walk six miles to get cell phone signil. You guys just split up my stuff and remember me when you use it.

PS, the Natertot family gets the big tent and everyone gets a to grab bag for pocket knives, there will be plenty.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Huuuuummmm
    Wonder if a Yeti $500 cooler with keep a 30 pack cold for a week.......

....in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ....in the desert.
    Yeah....desert....of course a 30 pack won't last a week ...anywhere....LOL

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am sure the cooler will keep stuff cold for a week, but not with you opening and closing it every five minutes!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you fill a good sized cooler with good insulation full of ice and also pre-cool whatever you are putting in it, it will easily last a week. A couple of years ago, took the scouts to Bear Lake scout camp for the week. We had a couple of BIG white igloo coolers. It is high altitude (well, for you guys), but still in the desert, with temps close to 100. I either pre-froze or pre-cooled the food in my fridge beforehand, then filled it with ice and food. By the end of the week, there was still a little ice left. We also had an upright cooler with a spout that we filled with icewater to drink. That had to be filled with ice and water every day.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah....desert....of course a 30 pack won't last a week ...anywhere....LOL
    Zoooom.....that shot was high...

Kyrat....these boys haven't been to Rondy......
    Evet 5 min is a little ecessive....20 min , maybe?
    Any one that keeps beer cold for a week and Rondy...is a hoarder...and subject to banishment.....LOL

Funny story, but you'd really have to been there...so will have to "imagine"...

Me and a friend was driving to someplace in another state. My turn to drive, him taking a nap. It was nighttime.

I came to a place where the highway forked, and the sign that said which way was what...by the time I saw it and paid enough attention (didn't), it wasn't clear and I just picked one and went. They both went the "general" direction we were heading so I figured what-the-heck.

The route I chose simply took us further south, still in our general direction, but closer to a major city.

Cruising along, the quiet dark night, windows down, great weather, my friend stirred and slowly awoke. He unhurriedly came to full consciousness, chilled out, looking around at where we were.

He absent-mindedly looked south. The lights from the city in the distance were a lot brighter and closer than they shoulda been if we took the route that we were supposed to have taken.

Over the course of a few long minutes, he made a couple of low "hhmm" sounds, and commented on how those lights in the distance shouldn't be there. He asked, to himself, not really even to me, what that was over yonder. Then he says something like "there shouldn't be anything out here...what city is that??".

I said "well, a ways back, I came to a fork and didn't have time to read what the sign said. I just picked one and went. We're still going in our general direction and I figured it wouldn't matter much".

Here's the funny part...it's just the way he said it - "Hey man, where have you been taking us?"

Unfortunately, I'm probably the only one in the world who knows how he said it and why it was so funny.

- William Arthur Ward

Nope...DW does it all the time....
    Heading south thru Little Rock I-40....but should have turned south on I-30 to Texarkana.......well, I was heading north to Fort Smith.

Discovered my error...so turn south ...kinda cross country...... back to I-30 near Hot Springs....

DW woke up while we were heading thru "Dog Patch" Really in the boonies.....with a hardy.... "Where-T-Freek are we?"

Yup, I know the look.....

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel