Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFA question

What has the NFA stopped you guys from doing? Lemme guess, you're opposed to hunting laws too. (this is gonna be so much fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What has the NFA stopped you guys from doing? Lemme guess, you're opposed to hunting laws too. (this is gonna be so much fun).
    They stopped me from getting full auto's and suppressors at will.

For the most part, hunting laws are made by hunters and for hunters to preserve the game for future hunting. They are created and managed by each individual states, not the feds

Are you having fun yet

a better question would be has the nfa ever stopped a criminal? Is a person any more dead if they are shot with a handgun or a rifle cut down to 14 inches? The real intent of the nfa was to highly regulate handguns, the sbr, sbs and full auto was the compromise. And yes it has stopped me from cutting down a single shot 22 rifle to carry in my pack basket while trapping after all it is illegal and I am a law abiding citizen. Do I need to no but maybe I want to.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

We want it ALL, and we want it now!

Actually, the NFA was passed as a result of the St. Valentine's Day massacre and an attempt on Roosevelt's life. You know, gun control to stop the bad guys. I have to go put my application in the mail. I'm applying for a permit for poison gas weapon. Hey, it's a DD.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, the NFA was passed as a result of the St. Valentine's Day massacre and an attempt on Roosevelt's life. You know, gun control to stop the bad guys. I have to go put my application in the mail. I'm applying for a permit for poison gas weapon. Hey, it's a DD.
    I know how that goes. Mafia goons disguised as cops use Tommy guns to shoot down rival mobsters, so we ban machine guns. A couple kids use ARs to shoot up a school so we ban ARs. Tim McVeigh uses ammonium nitrate to blow up a Federal building so we ban fertilizer. A senile senior citizen in FL confuses the gas and brake pedals in is car and runs down half a dozen people so we ban cars...or do we ban old people? In any event the impulse is the same- to confuse the actions of a person with the existence of agency in a tool. It makes no sense but when something bad happens we feel the need to do something even if there's nothing to do. And realistically some tools are too dangerous for citizens to possess. Nuclear weapons are a good example (although I would argue that they're too dangerous for governments to possess as well).

There's a certain segment of Americans that has a really strong paternal impulse to see citizens as children that must be protected from themselves. This can take a lot of forms from seat belt laws to bans on dangerously large soda cups. And of course, dangerous firearms. The Constitution was created a bulwark between We the People and those who would tyrannize us for our own good. But where does it draw the line? The late Justice Scalia felt that the 2nd could be "regulated" without that constituting infringement. Some folks think that's like being a little pregnant but it's the source of a lot of lively debates.

The current way the NFA is administered it totally broken though. The law allows for the possession of machine guns, SBRs and suppressors with the application and payment of a tax. That's all good and well, but the tax stamp and permission slip is taking about one year to get (from application to approval). This strikes me as unacceptable. What if you went to buy a gun and there was one year waiting period? Or if you needed to get approval a year ahead to visit Canada? What if you went to update your voter registration and it took a year (during which you could not vote)?

I am fine with paying a tax and submitting to a background check, but I see no defensible reason for it to take a year. It's clear to me that they slow-walk it to discourage people from ever applying. That is the problem. In other areas the SCOTUS has ruled that a right delayed is a right denied. Recently it came to light that even the ATF feels there's no good reason to keep suppressors in the NFA but it would take an act of congress to change it. And congress is so dysfunctional that they can't agree on day or night anymore.

I wonder how many folks ATF has handling requests for machine gun, SBR, SBSs, Silencers and DDs. Maybe it's just a matter of not enough folks and a new age of "I want that" and an inexpensive tax rather than some evil overlord conspiracy. Maybe it's just a flood of paperwork and the headcount is ill sized for the amount of work. Maybe we should increase taxes so we can add more agents. (I told you this was gonna be fun)

Not eenough. They're spending a million dollars a year in OT alone and getting farther behind.

instead of adding agents just simply change the law so a law abiding citizen can buy on a form 4473, pretty simple solution really. It would probably be a money saver.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You do remember we are talking about government, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Speak for yourself, I want to see them!

I want to be one of the guys that brings them to the range.

I want to be one of the guys with one standing in the corner of the bedroom.

There is not a single practical reason that my 10" barreled AR pistol should not have the shoulder stock from the M4 attached.
    AMEN BROTHER. PREACH IT or +1...whatever gets the point across that I agree with Kyrats on this