Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sunchokes

Default sunchokes

I've been wanting to plant some jeruselem artichokes for some time now. So I been googling for some tubers and found several sources. On a fluke I stopped at a farm supply located in a nearby town, just for giggles to see if they had tubers. They had a bunch for $2.00 a pound, it's a better price than the online sources. On the plus side, the tubers are locally grown. So now I'm ready to johnny appleseed some sunchokes.

Nice score!

I bought two kinds from my local fancy grocery store last year, and got a nice little harvest from them.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I left the itty bitty ones in the ground, and they are just now starting to sprout again.

those look good, I haven't had artichokes in umteen million years or so it seems LOL. I'm going to plant several plots around my stomping grounds.

You all know they are terribly invasive, right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And that they are not at all artichokes?

I planted some years ago and they didn't take. I think the winters may be too hard on them.

jerusulum artichokes. I think the term sunchoke came about in the 1960's to sound better in the grocery store.

Or from Jerusalem.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Randyt
    The winters are not hard on them. I have a plot on my property been growing for about four years never a problem and I am in northern Ontario
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I planted a bunch of them last year but only a few came up. When I dug up the tubers they seemed OK but just didn't grow. I was hoping after they wintered over they would all pop up. So far nothing and I see some mole holes out there.

"I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Blog Entries

I've grown them in the past, never had any trouble getting them to grow and they make a great wind break. Oh and in the Winnie household, they are known a Fartichokes.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You all know they are terribly invasive, right?
    Invasive? Depends on your definition. They certainly can take over an area, and once you plant them it's hard to get rid of them. However they are also quite native.

Had some here in the clay soil, and were very invasive, ended up digging them up...tried some at "The Place", but never took...of course I really never planted them, so I suppose the deer ate them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm growing some right now. I'm also growing goats-beard, I'm in a tuber mood lately... I'm actually hoping they're invasive because I HATE having to buy seeds and starts (I'm no good at saving seeds, lack of experience).

Which goats beard? There are several totally different plants that go by that common name. Not all of them edible.
    As for invasive, sunchokes are as good at it as bamboo. Last yeaar was the first time I grew them. Got the starts at a local farm coop way cheaper than you can get in seed catalogs. The roots were small and being sold on the cheap as no one wante to buy them to eat. I grow mine in a metal walled bin (kinda like a low compost bin) on top of a weed block cloth and keep the flower heads cut off. To harvest I transferred the soil to a new bin on weed block. They still escaped.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

What part of the sun choke do you eat? What do they taste like?
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

If you get them pealed and coked are like a bland potato...and are used as a no or low starch potato substitute.
    Also taste like a water chestnut (like in Chinese food?) when raw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

When we were vegetarian we ate them. Really no flavor to speak of and very boring no matter how many spices I put on them.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

....Yeah but fun to peel...if you have nothing better to do....LOL

I just dug up a big bunch of chokes.
    They're small this year. No rain.
    (the things in the background are Medlars.)

IMG_0839.jpg
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant