Thread: A chat with my dad

Default A chat with my dad

So it snowed today. It is probably either snowing, raining or both right now, I don't want to check because i have to go someplace in an hour and I'd rather not spend that time talking myself out of going. But I had to shovel is my point. My dad also lives in Ontario, but much further south. He is enjoying a balmy day of clear weather. SO I texted him to tell him I had to shovel.

He just called to tell me that when I texted he was out for a bike ride, wearing shorts and t-shirt in 21 degree celcius weather. Among young women in athletic wear ("I'm a dirty old man" he says in parentheses). Sucks about the snow, though, he says. While flipping some kind of turkey thing on his barbecue.

Well, I think it's lovely that he's taken up comedy in his retirement, but I do wonder if he could find a venue for it aside from my cellphone.

Hey, you'll get there one day. The alternative is to be a grouchy old man. I've always said, "You either laugh or you cry, and I'd rather laugh."
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

LOL....That what fathers do...

At least he is still around to converse with......
    Do your self a favor....make a list of all the stuff you need to ask him....

Then do it...
    Wish I would have....

I think I did pretty well...but there is still a lots of stuff I forgot to ask.
    Running out of older relatives and inlaws...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Hey, you'll get there one day. The alternative is to be a grouchy old man. I've always said, "You either laugh or you cry, and I'd rather laugh."
    This much is also true. And heck, I know how fast we are going to be in to spring and then *I* can be out on my bike.

I just saw snowflakes the size of postage stamps reflected in the glass on a painting in the dining room. I knew no good would come of having art on the walls.

So I guess you don't want to hear about the weather here in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL....That what fathers do...

At least he is still around to converse with......
    Do your self a favor....make a list of all the stuff you need to ask him....

Then do it...
    Wish I would have....

I think I did pretty well...but there is still a lots of stuff I forgot to ask.
    Running out of older relatives and inlaws...
    True that, true that....I learned that lesson with his younger brother. Not that anybody really expected him to drop dead at 56, so a person could be forgiven for not having all the conversations he might have wanted. Granted, Dad lives a much healthier life than uncle Dave did.....see long bike rides and a diet heavy on vegetables, moderate on poultry and light on red meats, and his mom is still walking to church at 95...or at very least she was until recently and has declined to inform me of the change...But still. you're quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    So I guess you don't want to hear about the weather here in FL?

I like to think you could feel the glare I just shot my computer screen.

AAANNDDD now I have to go out in this mess.

How different we all are! You're looking forward to the warm weather and the beginning of your outdoor season and I'm dreading the heat (e.g., above 50 degrees F.) and the end of my hiking season. Well, I don't begrudge you your summer.

I guess your snow was our blow. We had a windstorm that took out a power pole a couple of houses down and, consequently, our power. I went to bed in a dark house and woke up to the same.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

It was 72F here today. That's a real temperature. I thought Celsius ruled Rome at one time.

Cherish those moments you have.

Oh yeah.....about that Florida weather..............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    How different we all are! You're looking forward to the warm weather and the beginning of your outdoor season and I'm dreading the heat (e.g., above 50 degrees F.) and the end of my hiking season. Well, I don't begrudge you your summer.

I guess your snow was our blow. We had a windstorm that took out a power pole a couple of houses down and, consequently, our power. I went to bed in a dark house and woke up to the same.

Hey, any season can be outdoor season so long as snowshoes exist. Although THIS year I've been doing schoolwork more than getting out. But I AM looking forward to getting my bike out, little more fresh air and exercise.

Aye. Snow and ice does seem to cut the bike use around here.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Cherish those moments you have.

Oh yeah.....about that Florida weather..............
    Soooo, Crash, how does that weather effect the bugs ?

Want kinda bugs y'all have?....along with Dinosaurs, giant gators, hurricanes.....AND Green Anaconda's?
    LOL......

We have bad "skeeter's but only for while...and but you can drive on the lakes....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea, all the time I worked up nort' it sort of boggled my mind that folks would take a $55k dollar Suburban and and $20k travel trailer out on the ice to ice fish. One of my offices overlooked Muskegon Bay and it was always funny to watch the "spring scramble" as folks were hurrying to get their shanty's off the ice before the melt. Over your way the "back roads" around Wausua and Rice Lake were often better in the winter than the real roads were in the spring.