Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Chefs knife

Default 1st Chefs knife

Never really had a desire to make a chefs knife but I have a good friend opening a restaurant and he wanted me to make him one, here is my version of a 6" chefs knife. I like is so much I'm going to make myself one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Nice....I see a nice steak or two coming.

What is the shape called?...Have a butcher knife in that shape.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That looks awesome!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That is a cool looking knife. I like it as well.

Really cool looking knife.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Very nice knife.

Nice. I haven't seen the sweep / angle back on that type before. Sort of futuristic. How does it perform?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Nice. I haven't seen the sweep / angle back on that type before. Sort of futuristic. How does it perform?
    I made this one for myself, its 52100 steel with differential heat treatment, just for Hammond lol. Buffalo Horn and Brass handle one of my personal favorite combinations. I will be testing this one in various ways.

Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

Looks great!

The workmanship looks outstanding but I wonder why you opted for a 6" length? Was that at the request of your friend? I only ask because I'm a chef and I don't really use anything under 240mm for a gyuto/chef's knife very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The workmanship looks outstanding but I wonder why you opted for a 6" length? Was that at the request of your friend? I only ask because I'm a chef and I don't really use anything under 240mm for a gyuto/chef's knife very often.
    not a lot of though went into the size, I basically just wanted a reduced size to start with and work my way up. When you start to hand sand these suckers every square inch comes into play...lol. My friend wanted a 8'' but when he saw the "practice" knife he wanted it also. These knives are not your typical Chef's knife, that I'm use to anyway, they are somewhat thicker and stiffer. I'm not sure that is a plus or minus I did a lot of research on chefs knifes and maybe the thin flexible blades are just a result of cheep construction maybe not its like every thing else there are lots of opinions our there. I'm also guessing my years of making hunting knives played a role I couldn't really get behind anything larger, but I plan on doing some bigger ones eventually.

Excellent. That's another beautiful knife.

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    not a lot of though went into the size, I basically just wanted a reduced size to start with and work my way up. When you start to hand sand these suckers every square inch comes into play...lol. My friend wanted a 8'' but when he saw the "practice" knife he wanted it also. These knives are not your typical Chef's knife, that I'm use to anyway, they are somewhat thicker and stiffer. I'm not sure that is a plus or minus I did a lot of research on chefs knifes and maybe the thin flexible blades are just a result of cheep construction maybe not its like every thing else there are lots of opinions our there. I'm also guessing my years of making hunting knives played a role I couldn't really get behind anything larger, but I plan on doing some bigger ones eventually.
    I don't suppose I speak for all chefs. But personally I like the thinnest blade I can get. My 240 mm Konosuke gyuto is about 2 mm at the spine. Kitchen knives get used a lot but more gently than an outdoors knife. A thin knife wedges less when cutting stuff like squash.

Still it's a beautiful knife!

This is the last kitchen knife for a while, I'm over it...lol.

Same as the others but this one has a really cool piece of Mesquite on it for a handle.

Looks great. I've got to make a chef's knife for a friend............not looking forward to it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Why not, Crash? Your blades are terrific and overbuilt. Kitchen knives aren't that different but there are subtle differences. Again I can't speak for every chef but to me a good gyuto should be thin and light. There should be distal taper with the blade getting thinner towards the tip. The heel should be tall enough to not bang your knuckles on a cutting board. It can be ornamental but sealed well with no nooks and crannies that are hard to sanitize. I prefer very little 'belly' on my knives but many chefs prefer to rock the blade from heel to tip.

The steels you normally use should be fine for a kitchen knife. It needs to take a keen edge and hold it through lots of cutting. Some guys feel it should be stainless but I consider that optional. So long as you take care of your tools rust isn't a problem.

I'd love to see what you come up with!

Wow that is some quality knife making there. I love the one with the Mesquite handle. However, for a chef knife 6" is kinda too short. It would be more practical to go at least 8". Anyways, you are really talented. I wish I could do what you do.

Maybe I should of called it a kitchen knife..., at any rate I've been using the buffalo horn one since I made it, it will cut, chop, handle anything I have thrown at it in the kitchen. Like I said these are not your typical kitchen/ Chef's/ cooking knife, they are not as thin as most over the counter kitchen knives I have seen, even though I have noticed most very expensive and custom knives are thicker than the ones I picked up from a restaurant supply company years ago, or most production over the counter knives. The 52100 ball bearing steel is 1/8" stock thickness and the blade has nice distal taper from front to back and a high nearly full flat grind, they will make clean push cuts on newspaper. But you guys are most probably correct in the term, maybe Chef's knife is not the correct term, maybe a Kitchen knife is a better term.

Great work, though!

One of my heirloom possessions is my grandfather's chef knife - 255mm (10') long and a very handy item in the kitchen. Grandpa never worked as a chef to my knowledge but he was a darn good cook...