Thread: The North Pond Hermit

Default The North Pond Hermit

Hiding in the wilderness for 27 years in Maine, within walking distance of town (I'm not condoning his method of ''survival'')
    What he found, what he lost, and the science behind some of it.
    Worth further research.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...hermit/517770/
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

This is an interesting story......has been discussed a couple of times....
    Good to revisit it as it done show what "can be done..."
    Was featured on one segment of "Mysteries at the Museum"

This story tries gave "back to nature" twist to this story.

Quote:
    Though the “stranger” in the title is Knight, one closes the book with the sense that Knight, like all seers, is the only sane person in a world gone insane—that modern civilization has made us strangers to ourselves.
    Quote.
    B.S.

Would be different story had the emphasis been on being a thief......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, mentally unstable sneak thief was not stressed.

Nothing to do with woodcraft, just carefully considered criminal activity finally ended with the use of modern video equipment, just like anyone holding up a convenience store. Stealing is stealing.

and I will not buy his book to support him financially and allow him to profit from his crimes.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We lived through the Eric Rudolph abortion bomber search in WNC one summer. Blacked out choppers all night and "Men in Black" guys that stood out like sore thumbs. Caught him eating out of a dumpster in Robbinsville. We think he ran out of family and friends to hide in their basements and resorted to scavenging. Criminals are criminals. And they can get desperate.

I was hiking on the AT the summer Rudolph was lose. There were "undercover hikers" all over the AT. Guys in their mid-20s to mid30s, looked like college football linebackers and obviously not your normal through hiker. FBI rookies that drew the short straw.

They were taking crazies out of the trail shelters right and left, The AT is full of "homeless hikers", or what the locals refer to as "trail trash",

and you could get police response on the AT that summer quicker than if you were at home!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-19-2017 at 05:37 PM.

I was a bit more interested in the researcher checking out studies of the effects on people from them getting outside and closer to nature.
    That same magazine had a report last year that because of technology humans now have an attention span shorter than a goldfish's.
    I guess it's probably pretty sad that researchers have to study the obvious...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I was a bit more interested in the researcher checking out studies of the effects on people from them getting outside and closer to nature.
    That same magazine had a report last year that because of technology humans now have an attention span shorter than a goldfish's.
    I guess it's probably pretty sad that researchers have to study the obvious...
    I have to agree with....Bzzzzz...Oh got a call.....gotta take this....Yo... wot up

I figured Rudolph went to the hogs.

deleted,

I just remembered goldfish don't blink and millions voted for Hillary just weeks ago.

Perhaps this mental midget is the norm and an ideal candidate to use for studying the human condition.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-20-2017 at 12:09 AM.

In case anyone is interested......Pic's

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chri...EfliYCW-3oSZ&*