Thread: Help with spear fishing

Default Help with spear fishing

Hey all I'm new to the forum. I made a bet with a friend that I could spear a fish with all natural materials. I don't think it will be that hard and I don't really have a time frame of when I have to do it. I'm planning on some time in the summer and practicing a lot before that. The only constraints are it has to be made out of natural material and I can use any tools; I have from sun rise to sunset to make everything and get a fish.

I looked on YouTube and stuff and found a decent way to make a 4 prong spear. I made a couple testers tonight and they were decent but I couldn't really keep a good point on them. I looked a little online and really only found fire hardening which I don't think I'll have much time for. Any tips with keeping a nice point would be appreciated.

I think the best place for me to do this is a creek by my house that has creek chubs up to 10" and a couple carp or something similar. I don't see the bigger carp or whatever very much and haven't seen them since the summer. I think those will be the easiest but not sure if I can find them. Should I get a container or worms and dump them in the creek so the fish all bunch up by them? It's a pretty high dollar bet, really sure why I agreed to this but a deals a deal.

Thanks
    Justin

You need to check the laws in your state. Many states regulate the type of fish that can be taken by spear or gig and in which waterways they can be taken that way.

Your spear only needs to be sharp once. In fact, a fish "spear" doesn't really need to be sharp at all.
    And like Rick said, there are laws regarding fishing in this fashion.
    Game wardens have this crazy ability to be nowhere in sight - until you do something they can write you up for.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

The regulations say carp, suckers, and catfish, so if i can find a carp I'll be perfectly legal. I really doubt a game warden would be there anyway it's a little creek that runs along an old railroad that's a walking trail now. Most people don't even think there are fish in it

Would the worm baiting thing be legal? I can't find anything for pa on it
    Last edited by JustinF267; 03-18-2017 at 10:06 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What you are asking is so easy a cave man can do it.

No, really, cave men did it, people find fish bones and spears in the caves all the time.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ehensive-video

I have speared carp along the shores of a lake when the water was at flood stage and the carp were laying against the bank sucking air and croaking like frogs. We also used to have contests to see who could take the most carp in a day using our bows. We did that fron the shore too.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess I haven't heard of "chumming" carp with worms?.....so have no clue.

But yeah, I would thing your chances are pretty good of spearing one with your 4 point spear....if they are there to spear in the first place.

Nephew caught several in the cattails in the shallow water next to our duck blind, by just grabbing them and tossing the onto the river bank.
    Hunting was slow....

Remember to take pic's or make a You Tube.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I haven't heard of "chumming" carp with worms?.....so have no clue.

But yeah, I would thing your chances are pretty good of spearing one with your 4 point spear....if they are there to spear in the first place.

Nephew caught several in the cattails in the shallow water next to our duck blind, by just grabbing them and tossing the onto the river bank.
    Hunting was slow....

Remember to take pic's or make a You Tube.
    The worm thing would be for the creek chubs that are smaller than 10" in case I can't find any carp. Any tips on what kind of wood to use?
    Maybe I should try to find a lake with a lot of carp and do it there.
    Last edited by JustinF267; 03-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.

River bank wood......?

Use what you can find..... as you would in a "survival situation".
    I you are gonna make a habit of this....buy a spear fishing head.
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...ductextensions

PS as a hedge to your bet....try all this out,... before you put your money down.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'll use wood I can find I just wasn't sure if I should look for a certain kind. I'll make a lot and practice before I actually do it.

I tried to get him to let me use some more stuff but he isn't budging anymore lol. Has to be out of all natural stuff I can any tools though. Maybe I'll like it and look into something like that. I have a bowfishing kit I bought a couple months ago I haven't used it much yet though.

I have speared a lot of fish. I never baited or chummed for them, but rather did it in deeper water and swam up to them and speared em.

If it is legal to do in your area, and you plan on doing it from the shore you will need to practice a little. If you are not familiar with parallax error, you will need to become familiar with it. Practice by trying to hit targets you place in the water at a depth that you plan on spearing. Once you can hit them consistently you are ready to move on to fish.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have speared a lot of fish. I never baited or chummed for them, but rather did it in deeper water and swam up to them and speared em.

If it is legal to do in your area, and you plan on doing it from the shore you will need to practice a little. If you are not familiar with parallax error, you will need to become familiar with it. Practice by trying to hit targets you place in the water at a depth that you plan on spearing. Once you can hit them consistently you are ready to move on to fish.
    Is the parallax error what causes you to have to aim lower? I did some target practice with my bow fishing rig and got decent but still not good enough to consistently hit where i was aiming. Ill definitely practice and make sure I have a good technique before I do this.

It's cool you're developing a survival technique. Way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinF267 View Post
    Is the parallax error what causes you to have to aim lower? I did some target practice with my bow fishing rig and got decent but still not good enough to consistently hit where i was aiming. Ill definitely practice and make sure I have a good technique before I do this.
    Yes. Another term for the same "phenomenon" is light refraction in water.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is one of those things where you just have to go and do. Make sure it is legal, go to the spot, find a stick, sharpen it, throw it. Then repeat and change what you need to. It might take you a while, or maybe not, but the only way you will do it is if you go out and do it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee