Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you lose the guilt of hunting?

Oh, I don't think there is anything wrong with the question, especially from somebody who has not hunted. They may confuse the respect that hunters have for the animals for guilt. They would be incorrect in that assumption, but hey - you don't know if you don't ask.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We comprehend it and understand the squeamishness fully.

If you do not want to hunt but still eat your steaks rare that is your business, just don't try to justify it with some philosophical BS which is not even the point of the thread.

The point of the thread is that no one has the right to ask the question, "How do you overcome the guilt of hunting?".

If someone were to approach me at the tailgate of my pickup on opening day of deer season and ask me "How do you lose the guilt of hunting?" I could have them arrested for hunter harassment, imprisoned for 90 days or fined $250.

But here it is supposed to be OK.
    Well, except that no one came up to your tailgait to harass you- you came up to his tailgait, remember? If you're offended by the topic and don't think it should be discussed then why not follow your own advice and stop discussing it? I won't even call for your arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

Don't get me wrong- I am 100% in favor of hunting. It's natural, it's a normal activity for an apex predator like a human, and since we killed off most of the other apex predators it's important that humans assume their role to manage prey populations. And I am 100% not a vegetarian! If something with a face didn't die for my meal then it's just a snack. I just don't enjoy killing the animal. Which doesn't strike me as too odd. After all, I like having clean laundry and clean dishes but I don't really like doing either.

I guess I have to wonder why the OP wants to become a hunter if he doesn't like to kill, either? It does make sense to know the skills but if you don't like doing something I see no big reason to try to force yourself to learn to like it.
    That's a good question. The reason why I want to learn to hunt is because I like to eat meat and I felt hunting is the most natural way to go acquire it. Like you said, you like clean dishes but you don' like to do dishes but you still need to do them. It's just the way things should be and it's part of life and I think hunting will teach me more about life and the natural world. It's sorta the same reasons why parents send their boys to boycotts, it's to help them grow to become better individuals. I always felt nature/wilderness has a lot of wisdom to teach us and hunting is part of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by kaze View Post
    That's a good question. .......It's sorta the same reasons why parents send their boys to boycotts, it's to help them grow to become better individuals......
    Could you please explain that statement?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hummm seen thing were kinda winding down...so lets wind it up again?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Anyone want to go in on a group hog hunt?

One of my friends down in TN found a ranch in Texas that will put you up and feed you for up to a week. No limits, just shoot until you run out of ammo and eat all the BBQ you can hold.

He took a group down and they really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-27-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It helps them develop self-confidence, self-reliance, and independence at an early age.

I bet he autocorrected boyscouts to boycotts.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I don't know....we have plenty of people that drag their kids to "Bucket Brigade" events....

Beat on a 5 gal bucket with a stick...and chant "Hey, hey, ho, ho (insert here )has got to go......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kaze View Post
    It helps them develop self-confidence, self-reliance, and independence at an early age.
    By being sent to boycotts? Or is it as FM suspects and you meant Boy Scouts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

All I know is it's a whole lot easier to lose the guilt of hunting than it is 20 lbs. I can't walk past the bakery at Krogers without gaining 8 pounds. I walk past the meat counter and I'm fine. Ain't right.

I just went on a bisquits and gravy kick. I think I need elastic waistband pants and suspenders.

I'm lucky. I have elastic hongs. I just have trouble finding them sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I just went on a bisquits and gravy kick. I think I need elastic waistband pants and suspenders.
    Maybe we can get Greg to make biscuits and gravy at our camp next month.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Maybe we can get Greg to make biscuits and gravy at our camp next month.

Shoot. I'll do a big DO of sausage gravy if he would do the bisquits. We did that at a camp in GA and there wasn't a crumb left.

To tie into the thread it would be nice to have some wild hog sausage. Terrible blight on the south, but I don't have any landowner friends with hogs (Not that they are complaining). Kelly went land hunting Sun in the Forest. I accused her of starting the fire out there.

By being sent to boycotts? Or is it as FM suspects and you meant Boy Scouts.
    Yup, meant Boy Scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Anyone want to go in on a group hog hunt?

One of my friends down in TN found a ranch in Texas that will put you up and feed you for up to a week. No limits, just shoot until you run out of ammo and eat all the BBQ you can hold.

He took a group down and they really enjoyed it.
    Sure!!! How much and when?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Me I LOVE "Chipped beef on toast" I never get tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm lucky. I have elastic hongs. I just have trouble finding them sometimes.
    Why do you punish us like that?

Okay so back to the OP. I have read all the replies and comments. (elastic hongs, really, i mean how do we get...never mind I know how we get there.) My father started taking me with him hunting (Some would call it subsistence hunting, in other words, whatever we kill today we have for supper tomorrow) when I was very young. Like maybe 2 or 3 years old I bet, probably serving two big purposes. The first one being that my folks had 3 kids in 3 years. So I bet he was giving my mom a break by taking me with him Second I have very clear and vivid memories of him explaining and showing me how to field dress game, how to care for the hide if we were going to use it or sell it, how important respecting private property is/was, how to cross a fence with firearms, how to "still hunt", how to "bark, chirp" to squirrels to get them to show themselves. So in his mind he was fulfilling his duties and responsibility as a father and mentor to his son. My father was born in 1911 and raised in the south. He was very much a product of his time and environment. He clearly had a double standard for men and women. Men worked/provided for the family, women took care of the home and the children and he was pretty unapologetic for his beliefs and views. He fought in two wars, worked hard all of his life and loved his family (and his country) unconditionally. I never felt anything but pride that I was helping feed the family. I have never been casual about killing anything but I have never, ever felt guilty. Even today when I have to put down an animal or kill feral dogs who are terrorizing and attacking my horses. I still hunt and I have taught both my daughter and my son how to hunt and have help teach 9 grandchildren and now two great grand daughters how to hunt, dress, prepare and cook game. I love and have loved animals all my life but I have never humanized them at all. I used to have a Jack Russell that slept in my bed and followed my every step even to school. I just lost my little riding mule Ruby that I was partners with for 20 plus years and I cried like a little child as I was "putting her down" (that is a nice way of saying that I held her head in my lap and very carefully shot her) after she had a massive stroke. She was somewhere around 35 to 38 years old and had carried my fat butt all over the Rocky mountains, the Santa Fe Trail, Lewis and Clark's path up in Montana, Idaho and Washington. I truly miss her every time I go and and feed my other mules and horses. I say that to make sure you understand that I know animals as friends and companions. No guilt when I kill one. Now as to have to "deal with/overcome/address my(your) guilt when you kill an animal. I would say, based on your very thoughtful reply to Phaedrus, that you should constantly reaffirm to yourself why you are choosing to hunt, why it is important and also evaluate the guilt versus the gain after you are successful on a hunt. Watching your family be blessed and benefit from the "bounty of your hunt" is extremely gratifying for most of us.