Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves don't attack people. Really??

Default Wolves don't attack people. Really??

Here is a collection of short stories from the Turnbo Manuscripts, where wolves attacked, and killed people, or tried to. Turnbo and his family were early settlers in the area of northcentral Arkansas and southcentral Missouri, back in the 1830s. That was remote, wild country at that time.

It also shows just how difficult it was to stay alive in that unsettled area.

http://thelibrary.org/lochist/turnbo/toc.html#vol11

The next time some bliss ninny tells you "Wolves don't attack people," show them these stories.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I just clicked three of the stories at random and none of them involved wolves attacking people (unless you count getting scratched up by a wolf when they crawled into it's den (!!!)). Maybe it the rest are different. It does appear that they're acedotes handed down, folk stories, and all were a century and a half ago. Wolf attacks in the last 100 years have been relatively rare so far as I can tell. But since domestic dogs kill dozens of people every year it's no surprise that wolves might also attack sometimes. I do know of at least a couple of people killed by wolves. IIRC one was a woman jogging or trail running. As humans encroach on their habitat there are bound to be more encounters.

We have a local story of a trapper who was killed and eaten by wolves back in the late 50's. We was at his remote cabin for the winter trapping season. He never returned. Next spring a friend trekked in to find the trappers body strewn around the cabin. In the trappers log he mentioned multiple times that the wolves were giving him problems, more so than usual. Of course we don't know for sure what happened, but the common theory is that he was attacked.

I myself was followed by wolves one Christmas eve when I put my vehicle in the ditch and had to walk 8 or so miles back home. They followed me for at least 2 miles, maybe more. I never actually saw them, but I could hear them barking, yipping and howling.

There have been no recent examples of wolves attacking people in my area for many years, but a recent "Obamastriction" has regulated the wolf hunting almost to a standstill, so I expect the wolf populations will explode, decimate the deer populations and when they get hungry enough...maybe begin having more human encounters.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

They have been re-introduced in northern Wisconsin....

Have only seen one 'lone wolf" looping along....had him in my scope to see what it was....didn't shoot.
    First thought was "Holy Crap...That's the biggest freaking dog I have ever seen..."

Was discussing it with the landowner of the land I was hunting on....he just laughed and said..."Good thing you didn't shoot him...they all have collars and are being tracked..."

Says..."You are are better off, letting him get ya...then when DNR finds your body... they identify your attacker's DNA to your next of kin..."
    "Or Go to Jail"

Lots and lots of coyotes...and they can freak you out.....Dogs don't like them either.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-15-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

It happens up here.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    It happens up here.
    No ship.....
    It's wonder how anyone stays alive in Alaska.....
    Must be the BigAZZ Survival knife.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think it is one of those things that should be presented as a percentage due to the thin wolf population. How many attacks per wolves in the population.

The ecoknobs claimed for years that there were no known wolf attacks. That is because there were no wolves, or the people they attacked were consumed and/or their deaths attributed to other factors.

As the wolf population increases there will be more reported attacks, more deaths, more clashes.

The wolf encounters are also probably under-reported too. That happens with the bear attacks in the eastern mountains. Bad for tourism and cabin rentals.

After all, how many deaths are attributed to the ever present and 40,000 year long domesticated dog. If your pet pooch kills 30 people annually what should we expect when encountering a big canine while delivering cookies to grandma?

The domesticated dog is responsible for 4.5 million bites a year, 9,000 hospitalizations and 30 deaths but a wilderness filled with wolves is presented as one big petting zoo!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-15-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wolves aren't in my area so never been a concern. I do have coyotes but like all wild animals, I keep my distance. I am a guest in their territory and I don't want to disrupt their day any more than I want them to disrupt mine. Besides, I find other humans to be more dangerous than any animal in North America.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Alway carry at least 2 silver tipped bullets...You know....JIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I just clicked three of the stories at random and none of them involved wolves attacking people (unless you count getting scratched up by a wolf when they crawled into it's den (!!!)). Maybe it the rest are different. It does appear that they're acedotes [anecdotes] handed down, folk stories, and all were a century and a half ago. Wolf attacks in the last 100 years have been relatively rare so far as I can tell. But since domestic dogs kill dozens of people every year it's no surprise that wolves might also attack sometimes. I do know of at least a couple of people killed by wolves. IIRC one was a woman jogging or trail running. As humans encroach on their habitat there are bound to be more encounters.
    Phaedrus, you obviously missed the various titles in Turnbo's Chapter XI I posted about wolf attacks. Try going back to the link and looking for the below listed titles. That said, in reference to your statement that those are just "anecdotal" accounts so can't be verified, (implying) they did not happen) ...

Anecdotal - "based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation:"

If one depends only on "Scientific evaluation," and observation, etc., to believe something happened or did not happen hundreds of years ago, then almost all of history is "anecdotal." Can't really believe any of it.

In the 1800s, in the very remote and wild country of the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas and Missouri, there were no Game and Fish Dept. biology scientists to "establish the facts of wolf attacks." There were no police forensics departments to examine and record the "evidence." Nor were there drones with Go Pro cameras, trail cameras, teevee cameras, recording devices or anything else that might actually record exactly what happened in ANY historical occurrence. Therefore, history is mostly just "anecdotal."

After all, does anyone really believe that in 480 BC, King Leonidas of Sparta actually said to the representative of King Xerxes of Persia, at Thermopylae, who demanded the Spartans' weapons, "Molon labe?" ("Come and take them.") But it makes an helluva story. Still, anecdotal, although the battle itself is definitely documented.

Does anyone actually believe a "clairvoyant" said to Julius Cesar, "Beware the Ides of March?" Still, although anecdotal, it makes a good story, and indeed, the Ides of March were fatal for Julius Cesar. (He shoulda stayed in bed that morning, huh? )

I grew up in that Ozark Arkansas/Missouri country in the 1940s and 1950s. I know there were still wolves out in the thick woods, hollows, and hills there. My uncle killed one that was attacking one of his calves. An old trapper who lived there would trap wolves and bring their hides into town on Saturdays to "show and tell and sell." I have zero doubt that in the 1830s, etc., there were plenty of them there then and I'd bet they were definitely not afraid of humans. I believe there were wolf-on-human attacks. My opinion, of course.

Check these out.

WIPED OUT OF EXISTENCE BY WOLVES
    By S. C. Turnbo

This sad story was furnished me by Mr. Lafayette Abbotte, son of William and Matilda Abbotte, who lived in southwest Missouri in the pioneer days. ...

A SETTLER ATTACKED AND PURSUED BY WOLVES
    By S. C. Turnbo

We have stated elsewhere that Abraham Cole lived a few years at the mouth of Barren Fork some fifteen miles west of Rock Bridge, Mo. ...

And Another.

A SETTLER ATTACKED AND PURSUED BY WOLVES
    By S. C. Turnbo

We have stated elsewhere that Abraham Cole lived a few years at the mouth of Barren Fork some fifteen miles west of Rock Bridge, Mo. ...

And Another.

BATTLE BETWEEN WOLVES AND A NEGRO MAN
    By S. C. Turnbo

Abraham Cole was a resident of Taney County, Mo., from 1858 until his death March 1, 1899. ... In recounting old occurrences of settlers with the wild beasts of the forest, Mr. Cole ...

###

I am very aware of how an incident of any kind can, in the telling over time, be embellished and added to, however, I believe the stories of wolf attacks "in the old days" in the remote and wild Ozark Mountains.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Awesome, That is a interesting link, I saved it to my bookmarks and when I get time I'll read it all. Wish there was a hard copy available. There are lots of historical references to wolf attacks.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The importance of scientific evaluation is that many "wolf attacks" are perpetrated by feral dogs. The way science tells the difference is teeth marks. Now, how was it established in the 1800 that these were wolves? Plenty of feral dogs.

And if you want to know why dogs are more likely culprits, you should read Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson: Animals in Translation.

I would be very surprised if there was never an instance of a wolf attacking a human, but that they're an ever present danger, I seriously doubt. Most of the instances of wild animals attacking humans that I'm aware of has been mountain lions attacking joggers and bikers and humans doing stupid things and getting mauled for their efforts.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Phaedrus, you obviously missed the various titles in Turnbo's Chapter XI I posted about wolf attacks. Try going back to the link and looking for the below listed titles. That said, in reference to your statement that those are just "anecdotal" accounts so can't be verified, (implying) they did not happen) ...

Anecdotal - "based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation:"

If one depends only on "Scientific evaluation," and observation, etc., to believe something happened or did not happen hundreds of years ago, then almost all of history is "anecdotal." Can't really believe any of it.
    As I said, I just read of the stories at random and none of them actually described a wolf attack. I never said none of the stories did. You seem to misunderstand what 'anecdotal' is. First hand testimony isn't necessarily anecdotal, but someone recording that they were told by some that was told by someone, that's not solid evidence at all. Again, I won't comment on the ones I didn't read but the ones I did contained no evidence or claims of attacks on humans.

That aside, I would expect there to have been more wolf attack a couple centuries ago than now; that just makes sense. There were more wolves and less people, and certainly wolves had less reason to fear humans. With lower wolf populations and higher human populations, not to mention more rifles and night vision scopes, and more vehicles, humans are a clear threat to them now.

Since dogs are all derived from wolves and we have dog attacks, I'm sure we will have wolf attacks. I certainly never claimed otherwise. But in modern times they aren't extremely common, at least there aren't a lot of reports in the news.

On the other hand, statistically speaking, I'd bet you are more likely to be attacked by a human living next door than a wolf living next door. I suspect the wolf would be in a lot more danger.

On the other hand, it came to a big shock to many people how many dolphin-human interactions end badly considering the big, helpful, eternally-smiling Flipper stereotype.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Make you wonder about elephants ....
    Subject: This is Truly An Incredible Story

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it.

As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.

Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenage son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.

The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/not-the-same-elephant.shtml

Since the last recorded wolf attack in Alaska (that I could find) was in 2005, I'm more concerned with hypothermia than I am wolves. I'm not saying it couldn't happen...just unlikely in the extreme.

With an estimated wolf population in North America of 70,000 (around 10k of those being in Alaska), if wolves were going to be a serious problem, we'd know it.

Me-"Exactly."

Indeed, wild animals are wild animals. I never approach them and if they approach me, I don't ever make the mistake of seeing them as cute. None of them. My line is that nature is not there for our convenience. It's "purpose" (teleologically speaking), is to provide an environment conducive to life (a very rare and precious thing in the universe). It provides a dynamic balance between limits within which things can survive. We can learn to live within that range or we can die. If we respect nature we can exist quite happily with her or we can disrespect her and she will eat us. We might think we can tame her but that's a dangerous conceit. I've watched several lecture series lately in things like physics and meteorology in which the lecturer says, "We can't predict and we will never be able to predict...." That was a tough 20th century pill for science to swallow. For us to have a workable environment, there has to be a certain amount of chaos and we will never be able to remove that.....well, without killing ourselves, anyway.

I recommend that people familiarize themselves with an area that they're going to visit before they travel and know about the animals they might be around and the specific health problems. Animals are best seen through a spotting scope. I don't even force my attentions on domestic animals.

I've only been around two wolves. The CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) shelter at Faunsdale Bike Rally was right next to the promoters' shelter. We were sitting around one day and one of my biker brothers said, "Hey. Look at those dogs." I looked in back of the big tent and said, "Those aren't dogs." Other than that, I completely ignored them.

I've said in the past that, the only two wild animals I'm afraid of in North America are big cats and wild hogs. The more I've learned about big cats, that has shrunken down to wild hogs.

From friends who have logged lot's of time with wolves, books, and documentaries, I have come to understand that wolves are very curious animals that greatly prefer wild game to humans. If they're tracking you, it's probably out of curiosity and you will be lucky if you even get a sight of one. I saw one report of a wolf attack in Alaska. The humans were trying to feed a wild wolf by hand. In the case of a very, very hungry pack - then I guess you're fair game, but, then, so are they.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-16-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Bushman did you forget about the teacher?

Outdoors/Adventure
    Wolves killed Alaska teacher in 2010, state says
    Author: Craig Medred Updated: July 7, 2016 Published December 6, 2011

More than a year and a half after a young, Alaska teacher was found dead -- apparently killed by wolves -- the state Department of Fish and Game has officially concluded that wolves indeed killed her. A report the agency released Tuesday said there is conclusive evidence 32-year-old Candice Berner was attacked and killed by two or more wolves while jogging near the village of Chignik Lake on the Alaska Peninsula.

Berner's death left the village terrified for days. She had come to Chignik to teach children with special needs. Originally from Slippery Rock, Penn., she was an avid runner who stood only 4 feet, 11 inches.

She went for a March run near the remote community about 450 miles southwest of Anchorage. Fish and Game biologist Lem Butler concluded she was jogging down a road less than two miles from the rough cluster of homes when she met wolves coming toward Chignik. What happened next remains unknown.

Butler said it was impossible to tell if the wolves were hunting Berner or if she surprised them and they attacked. There is little doubt, however, that the wolves killed her and then fed on her body.

Butler said wolf DNA that was recovered from Berner's clothing matched DNA from wolves later shot in the area. The forensic evidence was consistent with the injuries to Berner and the wolf tracks found around her body. "DNA test results provided by the U.S. Geological Survey lab in Anchorage indicated that two to four wolves were most likely involved ... (The tests) connected one of the wolves killed by (Fish and Game) to the incident," according to a Fish and Game press release.

The state agency killed two wolves shortly after the attack on Berner. Trappers under contract with Fish and Game later killed another six wolves within 15 miles of the village. Though it was not known why the wolves attacked Berner, Butler said, the animals clearly treated the dead woman as prey after the attack.

There was speculation at the time the wolves might have been sick or starving. That does not appear to have been the case. State veterinarian Dr. Kimberlee Beckmen examined the wolves killed after the attack and found all but two in good to excellent condition. One of the eight wolves directly linked to Berner by DNA evidence "was in apparent good health with very large fat reserves,'' according to the state. The two wolves in poor condition could not be linked to the attack. None of the wolves were suffering from rabies or other disease.

Butler reported he was unable to find any evidence the wolves were defending a food source or had become habituated to human food. Habituation has been linked to other wolf attacks. Wolves conditioned to hang around villages or camps because food is available have been known to lose their wariness and confront -- or even attack -- people.

A 6-year-old boy was injured in a wolf attack near Icy Bay along the Gulf of Alaska coast south of Anchorage in 2000. That attack was linked to habituation by former state biologist Vic Van Ballenberghe, who had studied moose and wolves in the area. He reported the wolf at Icy Bay was fed several times and lived near a logging camp for weeks before the attack.

Several attacks by wolves on humans in Canada were also linked to habituation. It has long been debated whether healthy, unhabituated wolves would attack people. The state study appears to have put an end to that argument.

But Butler stressed there is no need to panic.

"...Wolf attacks on humans are rare and people should not be unnecessarily fearful,'' he said in a press release "People should always maintain a safe distance and healthy respect when encountering wolves or other wild animals."

Even before the report on the Chignik wolf attack was made official, new fears about the danger wolves can pose to people helped fuel a decision by Fish and Game to exterminate a pack of wolves living on the edge of Anchorage earlier this year. Those animals never attacked anyone, but they had followed a number of people and appeared to have developed a fascination with people and their pets. They paid the ultimate price. Over the course of the 2010-11 winter, nine of them were exterminated.

Unlike most other states, Alaska has a large and healthy population of wolves. The animals regularly range into all but the most urban areas of the 49th state, and only a speck of the state is urban.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article...ys/2011/12/07/

We also have a lot of wolf attacks on dogs.
    https://www.adn.com/search/wolf+attack/?q=wolf+attack

Another attack in 2010 but that was a rabid wolf.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...es/2014/03/17/

Alaska News
    Rabid wolf attacks hunter in Southwest Alaska
    Author: James Halpin Updated: September 29, 2016 Published September 19, 2009
    Like a ghost, a white figure crept through the moonlit night, lurking near a campsite.

Roderick Phillip and three hunting partners were at a bonfire. After about a week out along the Kuskokwim River near Kalskag, they'd already bagged a bull moose. It was after 2 a.m. on the night before their last day on the hunt. The 35-year-old Phillip went down by the river to look for moose. He didn't have his gun.

When he saw the white figure trotting toward camp out of the corner of his eye, Phillip called out to his companions.

"As soon as I hollered, 'Wolf! Wolf!,' the wolf turned towards me and started running," Phillip said. "I kept my eye on it while I was running towards them and not even 20 feet from where I was sitting it caught up to me."

The animal lunged at his face, then bit him on the leg, and the two ended up on the ground wrestling before his brother killed it. Phillip didn't know it then, but the animal was rabid.

It's the second time in recent years a rabid wolf has attacked people or animals in Southwest Alaska. In October 2007, a pack of wolves -- at least one of which was infected with rabies -- ransacked dog kennels in the Yukon River village of Marshall, killing a half-dozen dogs.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game wildlife veterinarian Kimberlee Beckmen said Friday there have been 19 confirmed cases of rabies in Alaska wolves since testing began in 1971. The disease is much more prevalent in foxes, she said. But now and again, it spills into the wolf population.

"That area -- down on the Yukon-Kuskokwim area -- has red fox rabies every year," Beckmen said. "When they're actually clinical with rabies, they are biting at anything that moves. In fact, it doesn't even have to be an animate object. They just bite indiscriminately. And it's because their brain is inflamed."

The wolf that attacked Phillip on Sept. 10 was a 16-month-old male probably weighing more than 100 pounds, though it appeared to be starving, Beckmen said. It had a mouth full of porcupine quills.

Phillip, of Kongiganak, said that the wolf got him in the upper right thigh, its teeth cutting through a pair of Carhartt pants, sweatpants and his boxers.

"When it bit me, it felt like somebody grabbed me on the skin. It didn't feel like a bite," Phillip said by phone Friday. "As soon as it bit me, I took my right arm and put it on the wolf's neck and turned down on the ground. I was on top of him and choking him at the same time I had my shoulder pushing down towards him. I didn't want to let it go."

The animal was powerful and he battled it on the ground to keep its flailing claws and snapping teeth at bay. He knew he'd been bitten but didn't feel the pain, he said. A Leatherman was strapped to his side, but he couldn't reach it.

Phillip, whose tale was first reported by a KYUK reporter in Bethel, called out again to alert the others of the life-or-death struggle unfolding about 30 feet from the camp, one of the other hunters, Glenn Ivon, 46, said by phone Friday.

He and Phillip's brother, Eric Phillip, 43, had been sitting at the fire when they heard Rod yelling. Eric got his .30-06 rifle and they both ran out to him.

"He's the wolf wrestler and I'm the killer," Eric Phillip said with a laugh Friday.

Rod Phillip said his brother got there with the rifle but couldn't see exactly what was going on.

"Halfway to me he said, 'Where? Where?' I told him, 'Right here! Right here!' " Rod Phillip said.

"When we came up to them, they were on the ground," Ivon said. "When Eric got close to him he just jumped up and ran back around to his back and kind of threw the wolf away from them. Eric shot it twice."

They cleaned Rod Phillip's wound using a first-aid kit at the camp, but waited until first light to get back to Bethel. They brought the wolf carcass with them and told hospital officials where it was when Phillip went to the emergency room. Officials sent its head to Anchorage for testing.

It came back positive for rabies and Phillip got a shipment of the vaccine the same day, he said. He'll need five shots over a 28-day period to ward off the disease but should be fine. He said he'll probably have a scar from the wound.

Beckmen called wolf attacks "few and far between" and said the known cases almost always involve wolves that are rabid or otherwise sick. The presence of dogs can also contribute to aggressive behavior, she said.

As rabies progresses, the infected animal loses fear of people and eventually dies of seizures, Beckmen said. Despite the stereotype, foaming at the mouth is very uncommon in wolves and foxes and its absence doesn't mean an animal isn't rabid, she said. The intact head of any suspected rabid animal that bites needs to be sent to game officials for testing, she said.

Phillip said he wanted to keep the animal's fur but there was concern it would spread rabies. It will be destroyed. The wound to his leg was not serious and he is expected to be fine. But he wondered about how things could have turned out differently.

"If I was sitting at the campfire with my brother and Glenn, it would have got us by surprise and probably bit a fatal wound right on the neck, most likely," Phillip said.

Bushman did you forget about the teacher?
    Actually this was the incident I was referring to, just got my date wrong. Oops!
    I never heard of the one up by Kalskag.

We also have a lot of wolf attacks on dogs.
    Ketchikan had a problem with this a few years back. Wolves that were in heat would run past the town at night, drawing off the dags that were attracted to the sent. Once the wolves got the dogs in the woods they would be attacked and eaten. Quite a few dogs went missing.

Me-"Exactly."