Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Why I don't EDC a knife anymore"

Default "Why I don't EDC a knife anymore"

I ran across this article a few weeks back. Its been bugging me ever since. I've carried a knife almost daily since I was about 10, so the thought of dropping it from my pocket/belt is fairly earth shaking.

http://outdoorselfreliance.com/dont-edc-knife-anymore/

So far I don't buy it. I can see where the guy is coming from, but for me...better to have it and not need it, and need it and not have it. I do use my knife, maybe not every single day, but I certainly do notice when its forgotten or left behind somewhere. I'll be keeping the knife, my flashlight and lighter everyday.

What do you guys think?
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

First thought is....."What Eveeeer"

Guess you have to say something contrary to fill up a Blog....?
    I couldn't tell who wrote it..really don't care.....He has his opinion.
    That is one thought I would just blow off ......unless I had to fly everyday, for a job.

Personally I follow Gibbs Rule #9...."Never go anywhere without a knife"

Besides,... at my age, opening kind of packaging...boxes, chip bags, peanut cans requires a knife, axe...or help.....????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have and do use an EDC knife daily.

So do these bozos, they just don't carry it in their pocket and substitute haphazard gear like scissors, fingernail clippers, their nails and teeth to do what the average person would do with an EDC knife.

Or they engage in the ultimate hippocraicy, they borrow someone else's knife, or go snag one from the block on the kitchen counter.

Even the most died in the wool bushcraft p%**y knows Gibbs rule #9.

Usually when you need a knife you need it right now, and nothing else will do the job correctly.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-14-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Guy is a bozo, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I use my knife daily carried a knife since 8 hrs old. Course times are changing and many have become couch warmers so if they do no more that sit on their butts probably wouldn't need anything for EDC besides a remote
    Semper Paratus

Glad you guys feel the same way, I thought I was missing something!

I couldn't conceive why anybody would want to eliminate the knife they carry. To me, it's like telling a carpenter "you don't, actually use your hammer that much. There are always wrenches, pliers and rocks you could use..."

I typically carry a folder and a Leatherman on my person at all times. When I go into the woods a belt knife as well.

If I ever did wind up in a critical scenario where my survival was in question, I think the absence of my knife would greatly decrease my odds.

Not to mention the smug feeling I get when someone asks if they could borrow my knife...
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 03-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Me-"Exactly."

Not only do I EDC a knife, I EDC four knives. I use at least two of them daily. I wear a belt knife, a Swiss Army knife in my left pocket, a little flipper folder in my right, and a small folder in my waist pack. I feel nekked without them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah.....That article was the equivalent of a "You Momma......" challenge.
    EDC
    SAK Hunter
    SAK Money clip
    SAK Mini on key rings....
    Oh yeah..Mini Multi Tool w/blade.
    Not carrying the clip knife lately....

Ued to wear a "Gerber Touche" belt buckle knife.......retired it after loosing it,... then finding it several weeks later.

It's a rare day indeed when I don't use my pocket knife multiple times. Would I perish without it? Almost certainly not. I can't think of any situation I've been in where the knife was the difference between life and death. But many times it's saved considerable inconvenience, and has saved at least a couple of outings from total failure. Why leave something I use so much at home to save a few ounces?

I always edc a knife generally a folder, unless I am out in the bush, then its more like 3 knives.
    Never know when I need to use it to cut cables, use it as a make shift screw driver, or just opening a box.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

In Malaysia, its illegal to carry a knife, unless you are out backpacking or camping, so you must have your gear with you. Carrying a Swiss Army Knife is okay...that's my edc.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

2 knives EDC for as far back as I can remember. Always a folder or SAK and a folding utility knife at work. Out and about a folder( Endura4, Shenanigan or a 110) and a belt knife (or2) in the truck. In the woods, a folder, neck knife and couple in the pack.
    Last part of that article says a lot about that guy:
    I guess one of the upsides to not EDCing a knife anymore is my pants are saved. No more are there wear and tear on the pockets from the knife clips, or the bulging points of a knife who set itself wrong at the bottom of my pocket. Plus, I admit, the silhouette of a suit looks much nicer without the printing of a knife, keys, or phone pressing against the fabric.
    His pants are saved? Really?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

"the silhouette of a suit looks much nicer--" Is this poster a "metrosexual" or a "girlyman"?, Who cares about wether a phone, keys or knife "print" against the silhouette of the fabric. If you are worried about that, wear looser clothing!! I have carried an edc knife virtually every day since I was about 10 years old (exception: flying commercial).
    Geezer Squad #2

That is funny....doesn't mention the Springfield 1911 in the other pocket....printing....LOL

Beside if you buy a pair aof pants with "Big lump in the front"....no one will notice a knife.

Whoever wrote that article must have been brainwashed by Hilliary Clinton and trained for survival by Obama!!!!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When I wear a suit there are other things to think about, as in "he's wearing a suit, who died?"

Now in years past I did have problems with the square edges of the bolsters wearing through the pocket of my jeans.

I solved that problem by purchasing pocket knives with rounded bolsters.

Sort of like the visit to the DR. where "it hurts when I do that" and the doctor says "don't do that!"

Pocket wear does not mean you stop carrying a knife, it means you change knife styles.

It is the same way with EDC pistols. If your 1911 "prints" you do not stop carrying, you buy a smaller pistol.

I must agree that the writer of the blog is simply attempting to project his stupidity as a universal condition. It also makes me wonder if he wears underarmor beneath his suit to present the "naked under the suit" appearance like the red carpet actresses who go commando to prevent pantie lines. there is a problem here that transcends knife carry, he includes pens and phones.

The real problem is not carrying a knife, it is print phobia!

In fact, I vote that his knife carrying chip be surrendered and he be forced to tear open shrink wrap and those horrid hard plastic packages with only his body appendages. He should also be required to eat his vegetables and meats whole using only his teeth and fingers to tear the foods apart.

It's people like him that are the reason table knives have round points!

Now if this bozo had posted this information as a thread on a forum he would have been shredded just as efficiently as we have done already. This is one of the reasons that the outdoor activities forums have died out in the past few years. This is where all those people that huffed, put up their noses and ridiculed the habit of offering correction to theories and ideas that were just wrong have avoided most of the ridicule they rightly deserve by escaping to the blogosphere, where they can control posting and comments.

But they are still idiots. Just idiots without correction.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You should see what he says about ferro rods...I'll just say this, if somone posted his views on this forum for their 1st post, they'd be banned almost immediately.

Me-"Exactly."

Don't disagree with anything already said. My daily carry is a Gerber multitool in a pouch on the belt and a 1 3/4" Gerber folder in my right front pocket. Those two items cover all my needs for daily tasks that come up. I used to carry a 4" folder, but it drew too much attention around college (never got in trouble, just brainwashed libs who think a folder is a weapon of mass destruction). I have yet to miss my 4" or find a task my 1 3/4" couldn't handle in daily life. Outdoor outings do have a 5 1/2" fixed blade added to the belt.

This guy seems to be going in the face of common sense to either make a name for himself or to gain a following from those who are afraid of knives. Probably both. He is not one I would follow.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I still think it is a "Yo Mama wears army shoes"....designed to solicit responses......
    Forums call them.... Trolls...

After reading the fist couple of lines AND seeing the web site it is on I went no further. So from the little I read either the guy is a either clueless about what's needed for "survival" or a complete moron! But honestly I have been to that website before and have never found anything of substance or worht wasting my time on. IMO a good knife is in the top need to haves. First is having a clue WHAT to do TO survive. Then a knife, then some way to make fire. then get water. If you have those 4 you can then build shelter, get food and so on.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

how the heck are you suppose to sit on a bench in the town square and sharpen a stick with the ole boys if you don't edc a knife? It has been a lot of years but I wonder if they are still there sharpening sticks. Maybe it's their kids now.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?