Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Why I don't EDC a knife anymore"

Hunter I tried to reply with a quote to your post but site wouldn't let me! I agree with Gibb's rules. Number 9 especially! So much that my wife gave me a ken Onion ZT knife that is the exact same knife that Gibb's carries on NCIS. As for flying I won't/ don't fly anymore. But if I were forced to I would have to have a GHB of some sort. With A KNIFE or two. That would be checked baggage.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Y'all made me google gibbs rule # 9...
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Y'all made me google gibbs rule # 9...
    Shame! Shame!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I am so ashamed......
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I thought gibbs was a gun company that modified firearms, Aways wanted one of their 45-70 enfields.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Reminds me of the last time I visited the in-laws in Phoenix.

The plane landed and on the way out of the airport I made a stop at Cabellas to pick up one of their store brand multi-tools.

MIL told me the other two SIL always gripped about not having a knife after the airplane ride. Both the other SIL were super egg-head IT types. Both had EDC knives. I was shocked!

When we left I left the gizmo in the dresser drawer of the guest room and e-mailed both the other sons-in-law to inform them it was there for their use. Don't know why someone had not done that already.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That is why a knife is placed in checked luggage. In fact, you can also fly with firearms in checked luggage.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I never fly with checked luggage. It is like paying the airline to have your valuables stolen. Plus many of the airlines now charge for all checked baggage. Many now also charge for "carry on".

Makes sense. I have always refused to fly since TSA made me take off my ribbons when I had to fly home in uniform. This lead to a butt chewing on the plane by a cheif. Ever since then, I have always driven.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I never fly with checked luggage. It is like paying the airline to have your valuables stolen. Plus many of the airlines now charge for all checked baggage. Many now also charge for "carry on".
    I never fly with checked bags either. I have to fly with my job. Not very often, but every once in a while.

I also work on an Air Force base. I can't CCW. I can't even have a gun in my car. I am hoping that Trump changes the rules for contractors. Otherwise, the only other options for me are illegal.

I really hate the saying "better to have and not need than to need and not have." It is used to justify carrying a bunch of stuff you don't really need to carry. You see these EDC bags on youtube that are huge and full of heavy stuff.... you know they don't really carry that. But, half the time they are justifying it with "better to have and not need than to need and not have." At some point you need to come to grips with reality and pick what you REALLY need. A knife is definitely on the list though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I really hate the saying "better to have and not need than to need and not have." It is used to justify carrying a bunch of stuff you don't really need to carry. You see these EDC bags on youtube that are huge and full of heavy stuff.... you know they don't really carry that. But, half the time they are justifying it with "better to have and not need than to need and not have." At some point you need to come to grips with reality and pick what you REALLY need. A knife is definitely on the list though.
    I not a big fan of "The better to have and not need than to need and not have".....saying.
    That's a attempt to use a clever cliche to justify something.

I'm more of a...."Because I want to......don't care what anyone thinks"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

who is Gibbs?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    who is Gibbs?
    Gibbs is the name of a no-nonsense character from the hit TV show NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service). He typically rubs people the wrong way, and does things that may not be "protocol" in order to do what needs done. He lives by a set of rules that can be found here. http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS%3A+Gibbs'+Rules

I not a big fan of "The better to have and not need than to need and not have".....saying.
    That's the problem with any cliche, it sounds catchy and witty, but it usually doesn't apply to most real-world situations.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away?
    A penny saved is a penny earned?
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch?
    Lightning never strikes twice?

Most cliches don't make sense in the real world, but we still say them. Language is messy sometimes.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I'm really far behind on TV shows I guess....But to me, some sort of a knife and tool is really something I would want to carry...
    I have these things laid out on a small table which I go to before leaving the house, things like, car keys, bike keys, cap, sunglasses, SAK, torch and so on. It depends on what time of day and where I am going to. But the SAK is something that is never left behind, and my mace.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I thought gibbs was a gun company that modified firearms, Aways wanted one of their 45-70 enfields.
    Gibbs was a famous rifle customizing company of the "old days."

In Hunters of the Great North by Vilhjalmur Steffansson, Harcourt, Brace, & Co. Publs., © 1922, the great Arctic explorer of many years, Steffansseon, relates that his long time "go-to" rifle was a Mannlicher-Gibbs 6.5mm Swede. He killed everything from snowshoe hares to polar bears with it.

As for EDC knives, I've carried a pocket knife since I was about eight years old and still do so every day. I could not even begin to wildly guess how many times I've used it. Several thousand, I suppose.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Good friend, hunting companion...carried and shot a .30 Gibbs based on a fire formed 30-06 case rifle built on a Mauser 98' receiver.
    Heavy barrel, was about 11 pounds.....was a shooter back when...early 1970's.

He also acquired a .270 Gibbs for a another friend.

This is not to be confused with LeRoy Jethro Gibbs and the legendary "Gibb's Rules"
    http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/NCIS%3A+Gibbs'+Rules
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.

I'll admit, it did take me a while to get on board the EDC knife train. Growing up I had folders for the longest time, but never carried them daily. However, now that it's become a habit and I seem to use them (almost) daily it's a no brainier to EDC.
    Last edited by OMark; 04-28-2017 at 01:35 PM.

It sometimes confuses me that people even think about things like are you or are yo not going to edc a pocket knife.

For me knives are as much a part of my life as the air I breathe. Yes I will EDC a knife, just like my grand dad and his gran dad and all of them beck to the first human that cracked two rocks together and cut himself, then decided it would be handy to keep that sharp rock around.

Beside the EDC there will also be knives lying about for various uses. There is a Puma folder by the computer, five more folders in sight in the sitting room, about 50 more in the container under the sofa, a bunch in the kitchen, a dedicated drawer full in the bedroom, more in the utility room where the preps live (includes the case of Moras I bought years ago @ $5 ea.). The last time I cleaned out my EDV (every day vehicle) I counted 17 knives of various forms, styles and quality.

So I am not of that group that expects for anyone sitting around my campfire to borrow a knife from me. You do not go to the woods and borrow someone's knife!

I do not ask anyone if they carry a knife. I ask them,

"What do you mean you don't carry a knife? What's wrong with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Guy is a bozo, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I use my knife daily carried a knife since 8 hrs old. Course times are changing and many have become couch warmers so if they do no more that sit on their butts probably wouldn't need anything for EDC besides a remote
    Hey, even us old couch potato's have to open a box, or a blister pack for mama now and then! And getting off the couch and walking to the kitchen is tiring. (sides how ya gonna get a chaw offin that plug of brown mule wifout yer front teefs?) lol

Been carrying some type of penknife since I was around 9 or so and my grandpa gave an old barlow. Would feel lost if I didn't have one. You know that feeling that something isn't quite right?
    Last edited by minitruck83; 04-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.

This was my latest "keep by the recliner knife" for packages, blister packs fingernails...etc.
    Dogs were chewing up the Wahoo Killer....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The hold thing is about 2-1/2 long...its a lock blade about an inch long.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/282302745645?...edirect=mobile

Check of the price....LOL...from India
    Rs... 299.00 (rupees) about $4.50 USD....FREE SHIPPING for India....LOL

I got mine at Menards for $2 bucks.....git it home, DW says."That a cute one"....so she has it on her keyring.
    Had to get another one for a recliner knife