Default Dirty Jobs dude Mike Rowe

Ran across this randomly, thought it was interesting:

Follow up -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKz...#t=582.5563022
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

yeah this was a very very interesting video.. Enjoyed it.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Still trying to gwt it to run....been have problems lately.
    Is an interesting guy, though.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Well Hunter, this is the one about castrating sheep and leaves nothing to the imagination.

Save your buffering time.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

TED Talks is one of the more interesting places on the Internet.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I liked the stuff like people who have 'uneducated dirty jobs' always seem to be the happiest, secure, and most fulfilled.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Used to see a lot of guys in the factory...that just wanted to do a job, collect their pay and go home....be not to be bothered....Jsut a way of getting back to what they really wanted to do.

Many had happy lives .....that was their identity...not the "Job"

One that still sticks out in my mind....and throat....
    The guys who's job it was to travel around and drag dead cows up onto a truck....they had one that kinda came apart....kinda melted down.

They were laughing about it.....like "I'll bet ya $5 buck that one won't make it......"

As a very young man...worked for a small city in central Wisconsin.
    Had my own 5 ton dump flat bed truck w/side boards on it.

We used it to haul "stuff" in 55 gal drums from restaurants and grocery store...then bring them back.

I would pull into the local drive-in for lunch....they would meet me at the driveway..with a free sack of food and a drink.....
    "Just don't eat it here!"

Mike Rowe was a trained opera singer....auditioned for QVC as a seller....then moved on.
    Has done a lot of the background and narrative on TV reality shows.

Don't think he's doing "Dirty Jobs" any more
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-10-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I turned it off when he was about ready to bite off the nads. The woman where I used to train my dogs didn't like that my dogs were intact. Lol but, being fat and fugly like her is ok?

I get what he is saying about the maybe the conception that folks have about the right way to do something, is sometimes a misconception.

You hear a lot of people saying banding wild hogs to bar them is the right way. But, then people will tell you banding isn't a good method for hogs and cutting is quick and once done the barred hogs don't bleed and they recover quickly. In the end more humane to the pig. But, to PETA and even people who eat pork, the knife can never be more humane and efficient than something so unobtrusive as a rubber band.

As far as what he was saying about happiness. I didn't see where he said uneducated. And I don't believe he meant people with dirty jobs are the happiest. And he certainly didn't mean that they were poor or unsuccessful. Because, he mentioned a pig farmer who had turned down $60,000,000. for his farm.

But, sometimes the people who enjoy life the most have the simplest lives. Some folks will stress out about dragging a dead cow off the road and having it break in half. Some folks will find some humor in it. It's okay to laugh at that. The cow is dead. She doesn't give a ....

I heard a thing today. A man had spent his entire adult life amassing a fortune. He had finally made enough that he felt he could retire to a great life. Just then death showed up to claim him. He protested and offered to give half of his vast wealth for a few more years. I mean he had just reached the point he could enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Death said no.

He offered ALL of his wealth for just a few more days to spend with the family and friends he had neglected spending time with so that he could provide for them.

Death said no.

Finally he begged for just a few more minutes to write them a note. Death agreed and he wrote for them to do the things that are really important in life. Spend time with family and friends stay humble and kind. Take that trip of a lifetime while you still have the life and ability to enjoy it.

Happiness is a state of mind. There are happy people who are in prison and will never see a day of freedom again. There are terminally ill people who have happiness in the life they have left. It really is as simple as quit focusing on what is bad in your life and be grateful for what is good.

And listen to those who have come to the end of the trail. Ask them what would they change about the journey.

I asked my great uncle what he would do different. He had retired in his early 40's from the railroad. He said his pension was obscene when we talked about it around his 84th birthday. His wife passed about 20 years vefore him and he told me he would come home and talk about what happened in his day. If he could get a mulligan, he would take her in his arms and ask her how her day was and listen to every single word.

My uncle Joe was a Catholic Priest most of his life. We were shooting pool one of the last times he came across the pond from Scotland to visit. I asked him, not realizing he had terminal cancer, if he really believed all his church preached. He said you can't serve your whole life and believe. I understand that is his own opinion. But, does a man who devoted his entire life to a church with whom he does not have full faith in have any regrets about that. No sir, not a one. He saw the whole world as a priest. Never had a worry about bills or anything. Got to spend a good deal of time with his family.

We got folks that are getting up in years. Talk to them and learn from their regrets (you know one of your regrets might be letting them pass without having that conversation). And one day someone may respect you enough to ask you as an old timer what is your one biggest regret. You can reflect and start answering that question now. Might just skip one or two of them regrets.

And KISS (keep it simple stupid!). Can you say something like keep it simple stupid at the end of a long post? I don't think so. I'll work on that.

I don't know. Seems like a perty good wrap-up to me.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.